Specs for Dedicated Flash Streaming?

My company has recently purchased Flash Media Streaming server , and have tested it a few times off our vps and dedicated web box. Adobe doesn't really leave any specs as far as server recommendations.

Currently my company broadcasts live off of Windows Media Encoder to WMS streaming servers. We get around 1700-2500 viewers on a single stream at one time. We rent these servers, and hence have no idea what the specs on the machines are. These servers have a max of 200gb traffic on them, and a normal cast takes about 15-25 gbs of traffic.

My question is how much more demanding is Flash Media Streaming compared to Windows Media Streaming Server? Is there any way other than trial and error to see how beefy of a dedicated box we need to host 1500+ viewers? I think the bandwidth should be easy enough to calculate , however the cpu/ram load is what I'm concerned about.

Thanks for any insight you can give,and I apologize if my post isn't very clear. I'll respond asap to any questions about the current post.

I don't think there's a huge difference to be honest. Like you said, trial and error will tell you what others can't.

From my experience, 2000 viewers is max for a production server. Now, depends on the bitrate you are streaming. If you plan to push more that 500 mbps, then you need an origin-edge solution.

Quote Originally Posted by borghunn View Post
    From my experience, 2000 viewers is max for a production server. Now, depends on the bitrate you are streaming. If you plan to push more that 500 mbps, then you need an origin-edge solution.
    We broadcast at about 500kbps not mbps.Im not familiar with the term origin-edge solution , could you or someone give me a bit of insight on what that means? Thanks agian.

At 500 kbps you would have a max of 200 simultaneous connection on a 100 mbps port.
    Bandwidth would cvost you a lot if you'd go with a 2000 connecitons at the same time.
    In terms of specs it depends a lot on how the server is configured. If you go with apache that will use a lot of memory and cpu and might be quite slow at peak times. Lighty would do the stuff way better, but for that to work you'll also need to know your way around it.
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting