Question Hosting Recomendations

I know this question has been asked a million times but can someone recommend a host.

I have a web site that is relatively simple. PHP with MySql database back end. I use under 2 Gig per month bandwidth and under 1 Gig of space. Only 3000 visitors per month. I also use them for DNS and email.

My current hosting company has admitted that they have a slow database server that is causing me problems and suggested I move to their dedicated hosting plan. There are only simple query so dedicated hosting is really an overkill. Their prices were never that competitive to start with so it's time to move.
    I'm willing to pay a extra for reliability, speed and service. Many people say don't get a company that "oversells" but they don't say who that is.

Also we have an exchange server but I don't want it exposed to the outside so I have my hosting company's server collect the email and I use a POP3 connector to transfer it to my server. This is not the best setup and I know there are better ways to connect but my current company doesn't support it. It would be great if the new company supported this.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Godaddy.com works great for most PHP websites. It's also the cheapest and has very little downtime on most of their servers.

Maybe you could try hostnine.com or hostgator.com. HostNine.com have been really fast answering me.

I personally recommend PrecisionEffect, although they might be a bit expensive. Another good host I had experience with is HostGator and Eleven2.
    hi there!

m-m-medialayer

i would suggest taking a look (as amy mentioned) at precision effect.

steve and dave are both super nice guys and very appreciative of your business. they back it up with friendly, fast, concise support and fast, consistent machines.

i have attached my uptime for the past 51 days with PE to this message. i think you'll like what you see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails peuptime.png  

Reliability, speed, and service? If you don't have a control panel preference, MediaLayer sounds like a great match.

If you are looking for something simple but robust, I recommend Bluehost.com.

They have only one plan but all the options for Linux hosting are included (cpanel), and the price is very reasonable. I have been with them for almost 2 years--never a problem. Support is not bad, but I've experienced a lot worse.

They are worth checking out.

<<snipped>>

op: regardless of what anyone recommends, here's a tip -

buy what you need / will reasonably need in the future.

figuratively speaking, do you really have a use for 1,500GB of disk space and 15,000GB of bandwidth, or some similarly ridiculous amount of resources? and for what? 6.95 a month?

*raises red flag*

dang, you mods are on it!

cheers

I can't recommend any host over another, but I recommend being wary of hosts that offer unreasonable amounts of bandwidth and storage for $2.99 per month. You get what you pay for.
    Cybercon.com Elite Tier 1 Web Hosting and Managed Services
    www.Cybercon.com
    Supreme Service - Flexible Pricing
    Advanced Hardware - Complete Security

I believe your host's database server is overloaded.
    Do you have any budget ?
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by rfichter View Post
    If you are looking for something simple but robust, I recommend Bluehost.com.
    Robust? You make me cry. BlueHost seriously degrades into nothing lately. People getting kicked for over using resources etc. They're horror waiting to happen.
    hi there!

Downtownhost.com, just ask them for a fast server (as some of them are slow). Their basic plan offer 5 gigs space / 100 gigs bandwith for 7,95$ monthly if you pay for 1 year. And yes, they have some coupons too.

downtownhost, hostgator have good reputation. You can try out each hosting company since they do offer monthly payment, if they don't work for you from day 1 it is highly unlikely that they would work for you on any other day.

Also do a search for coupons so you can minimize the pain

Quote Originally Posted by maniakaz View Post
    Downtownhost.com, just ask them for a fast server (as some of them are slow). Their basic plan offer 5 gigs space / 100 gigs bandwith for 7,95$ monthly if you pay for 1 year. And yes, they have some coupons too.
    Just want to clarify something, you're not hosted in an "slow" server (is a Dual Proc Quad Core 2.5Ghz) with a load average bellow to 1, it may be a routing problem between the server and your ISP or your region, but for sure, the server is not slow.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by MxHub View Post
    I believe your host's database server is overloaded.
    Do you have any budget ?
    I agree about their server.
    My budget is very flexible I'm paying $25 now which appears to be ridiculous.

Just as a follow up I picked Downtown Host.
    I haven't gone live and made my DNS changes yet but in my testing all my speed problems have been fixed and the support has been quick and helpful. Also it doesn't hurt that it costs a lot less.