C I HOST - ******** - employee is steal my hardware!!! WTF

i am see unnotified reboot, ci host my server. i don't know , they say it is power problem

i do after-reboot check to make sure my thing is working okey

MY RAM IS MISSING HALF .. IT USED TO BE 1024 MB now it is 512!!

there is HARD DRIVE MISSING!!! and i wasn't able mount the /home folder

I THINK EMPLOYEE STEAL MY HARDWARE? SOME SECURITY!!

Wow, that seems really odd. Do a search on here for CI host and you will see some other people have had a lot of trouble with CI Host collocation. Their Chicago location was broken into last year.

Which city are you collocated in?
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

hmmmmmm I`d probably believe that if this wasn`t your first post

I am aware of CI host`s history, especially when it comes to datacenter security but my guess is that you`re only posting this to stir some emotions about the company and start a flame thread
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net LLC
    Los Angeles - Seattle - Denver - Chicago - Miami- New York - Paris - London - Madrid - Amsterdam - Frankfurt - Vienna - DATACENTERS
    10+Tbps of internet connectivity --- 10G, 20G, 40Gbps unmetered services in 17 US & EU locations

this seriously can't be real.
    but then, this is cihost we're talking about.
    semi-retired

I don't know if this is a troll or not but there is no way that i'm going to trust CI Host with anything. It amaze me that CI Host is still around.

We were thinking about doing some colo there at CIHost for for some POP servers to extend our network.

However, with everything going on I would advise against it.

Quote Originally Posted by jt2377 View Post
    I don't know if this is a troll or not but there is no way that i'm going to trust CI Host with anything. It amaze me that CI Host is still around.
    it amazes me how many times a DATACENTER with "security" has been burglarized.
    semi-retired

Have you complained to them and ask to see their Web cam recording of who can be the culprit?

Quote Originally Posted by sanaharis View Post
    i am see unnotified reboot, ci host my server. i don't know , they say it is power problem

i do after-reboot check to make sure my thing is working okey

MY RAM IS MISSING HALF .. IT USED TO BE 1024 MB now it is 512!!

there is HARD DRIVE MISSING!!! and i wasn't able mount the /home folder

I THINK EMPLOYEE STEAL MY HARDWARE? SOME SECURITY!!

Couldn't it just be the PSU blowing up and destroying some components?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I would probably write this off if it were not CI Host being accused of this craziness.

i am colo in the chicago CDC-03, 1u
    i know you're might be curious or not belief, but this is history of cihost.. but they're cheap and give al ot bandwidth

How long was your box down during the so-called reboot?

Nah I don't believe that for a second.

Rogue employee goes in steals a drive and ram from a live running server?

CIHOST or not, I don't buy it. The components failed or bios changed or something and no longer seeing the hardware.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

i know you're might be curious or not belief, but this is history of cihost.. but they're cheap and give al ot bandwidth
    So you admit it, they are cheap, then what else did you expect from a cheap provider?

BTW, I highly doubt they stole your components. Are you sure you are reading it correctly? heh.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Just wondering, why would they steal 512MB ram? They just stole 20$!... No, I think that your memory stick went *poof*.

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    So you admit it, they are cheap, then what else did you expect from a cheap provider?
    When you go for short-term savings, you often increase long-term costs.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

I have had cases where a server was "missing" a hard drive or memory module after a power failure. It was a hardware problem, not stealing. I verified it myself when I went to visit the server. I was with a very trustworthy provider, so I never suspected theft anyway.

CI Host is completely down at this point. Any word on this?

PING cihost.com (66.221.189.31) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- cihost.com ping statistics ---
    1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms

(~) $ wget cihost.com
    --07:13:55-- http://cihost.com/
    => `index.html'
    Resolving cihost.com...

(wait 10 minutes)

Connecting to cihost.com|66.221.189.31|:80...
    failed: No route to host.
    semi-retired

That's not good. A CI host rep told me that a time warner tech cut a fiber cable in the dallas/ft worth area. is this plausible?

This is why having a system with physical intrusion detection alerts & ipmi setup is nice. Though, i'm not sure how reliable that would be if the power cord were yanked out... Has anybody ever installed a webcam inside their colo'd server?

I would give the OP some level of credibility, it's entirely possible that the only reason he would need to be on WHT is to vent frustration over this alleged act.

Quote Originally Posted by carly View Post
    That's not good. A CI host rep told me that a time warner tech cut a fiber cable in the dallas/ft worth area. is this plausible?
    NO...stupid enough to have taken from you i guess

Quote Originally Posted by a2b2 View Post
    Couldn't it just be the PSU blowing up and destroying some components?
    That seems more likely than that someone would pick your server out the rack out of the hundreds servers that hang there, to steal 512MB ram (oh, 30USD) and a HDD (90USD), doesn't it?

Any DC that calls itself a DC has racks with private keys to open them and every DC hopefully has decent access cards.

Further, fibre cables don't just hang in the middle of nowhere, awaiting to be pulled out, they tend to hang two and a half meters above the floor in a closed cable bundle.

Since it is colocation, can I know have you make an appointment to go down to physically ascertain what you have alleged?

i'm cannot go there.. i muist buy plane ticket from UAE!!

i am trry mounting, remount, it look like it's not there at all.. it dont give error - just non existant

sorry i am slow to reply .. i have work real life, sorry

Flame thread.

You'd do a lot more good for yourself to be bitching at CI Host than bitching at random Internet users who cannot help remedy your situation. We are not CI Host. We did not steal your server.

^ Good Point..

Seems a bit odd that someone would steal something so inexpensive out of a customers server.
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

sanaharis,

Instead of posting here it would be good that you contact CI host and request help if you cannot physically go there.

In WHT nobody will be able to give you a helping hand so discussing this here is just pointless.

Q
    ComfortHost.NET. Top quality hosting. And a personal touch.
    ** web hosting ** reseller hosting ** VPS ** Managed Servers **

Quote Originally Posted by WF_H View Post
    Any DC that calls itself a DC has racks with private keys...
    CIHost has a "General Population" section, where it's just random servers from random customers scattered throughout. If you want a locked cage, that'll cost extra (or you have to have servers stolen from you, like I did). Glad I'm out of there.

i don't know , they say it is power problem
    It is quite possible that it is a power problem they're having there, which is toasting your components. When I was a CIHost customer in Chicago, I had regular unscheduled reboots from them overloading the UPS, and it regularly tripped the breaker, rebooting every server in about 6 racks. It happened to me twice while I was there adding new servers.

I've also had issues with UPSes dying (which happens), but it took the tech a solid 4 hours to find a replacement battery, which he never did, and instead daisy chained power strips from another UPS to my servers.

In short, I feel it's highly likely that they really were having power issues and that your hardware problems are stemming from those power issues, rather than from petty theft.