Question to hosting customers

Hi

I have a question for hosting customers. Please note that I am only asking customers who do not operate their own hosting business. I am trying to find out what customers like and what they find most important etc. so I would appreciate any customer answering these questions. If you have a hosting company please do not try to influence people here as I simply want to find out what people believe on average (and not what they believe after being educated). Consider this as a survey to find out what customers want so this is not supposed to be a discussion and nobody is going to get discriminated for whatever opinion they might have:

Questions:

1. How important are small price differences for you. I.e. if you are paying 4 Dollars per month, would you be bothered if your host increased the price to 5 or 6 Dollars per month. Would the $1 or $2 price difference be a reason to swith hosts or not sign up with that host if another host is $1 or $2 cheaper ? Do you look for hosts that offer the same as another host but a Dollar or two cheaper ?

2. What do you think about the amount of space and bandwidth ? Do you think 1000 GB offers make sense or don't you need/want that much anyway ? Would you prefer a 1000 GB offer over a 5 GB offer even if you knew you probably don't need that much...just for the feeling of having some space left if you need it ? Do you know how much space you need ?

3. How skilled are you ? Beginner, advanced or professional ?

4. Do you compare hosts before you sign up or do you just sign up once you find a good offer that matches your requirements. How do you make your choice ?

Quote Originally Posted by glace View Post
    Hi

1. How important are small price differences for you. I.e. if you are paying 4 Dollars per month, would you be bothered if your host increased the price to 5 or 6 Dollars per month. Would the $1 or $2 price difference be a reason to swith hosts or not sign up with that host if another host is $1 or $2 cheaper ? Do you look for hosts that offer the same as another host but a Dollar or two cheaper ?
    I will re-evaluate the new plan, and compare the price with other similar hosting plans.

2. What do you think about the amount of space and bandwidth ? Do you think 1000 GB offers make sense or don't you need/want that much anyway ? Would you prefer a 1000 GB offer over a 5 GB offer even if you knew you probably don't need that much...just for the feeling of having some space left if you need it ? Do you know how much space you need ?
    If my sites use only 1G, to me, 5G and 1000G are the same. And, personally, I dislike those 5000G like plans.

I think I am not a beginner.

4. Do you compare hosts before you sign up or do you just sign up once you find a good offer that matches your requirements. How do you make your choice ?
    Compare before pay.

1. For a dollar, no. Two? That's 40 percent; I'd think about it.

2. I use less than 10 percent of what my host offers. All offers I've seen are far more than I need.

3. More than beginner, but not quite advanced.

4. I compare companies size and longevity. I ignore reviews.

I search for host that has a good balancwe between resources and price. Reputation pays a lot. If I am satisfied with my host perfomance - well, it would be unpleasant surprise. I would wait untill my contract ends and then start looking for new one. If none is found, well, I am unlucky

don't believe in huge numbers. The bigger numbers, the less I trust the host. I would always prefer 5 gigabytes over 5 terabytes. If I need space, I may upgrade my plan or buy additional resources.

Just beginner
    I always compare at least 2 hosts, if not 3. I usually ask my friends what would they reccomend, search WHT. After that - googling, searching for weak sides. Then bombarding support with either fake and real questions.

-If their services provided are reliable, experienced staff, credible hoster, I most likely would not be turned off by a small price increase due to the fact that I enjoy their services and may not find the same with a host offering what I get at a smaller price.

-For the last couple years after smartening up, I have gone for the more reasonable packages ratio to the price. Is it great to have unlimited, sure, but the repercussions isn't worth the hassle.

-I'd say Advanced, professional would mean I run my own hosting

-I am more or less a sign up on the fly kinda person. I don't necessarily setup a host list and start picking off one by one until I find what I need. I go in and take whatever I want and call it a day.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

I'm not sure $1 makes a difference, but a 40% increase (as said before) may be a reason to look around. Is it worth the hassle to move your site to another host for a $2 / month jump in price? Most cases : no.

I don't know anyone who would not take a 1TB plan over a 5GB for the same price. Obviously more disk space is better.

Advanced. I am a professional slacker though.

COMPARE! I wouldn't buy a crappy car just because of a good offer. Nor would I buy a Porsche without comparing options.

A few dollars can make a huge difference for some people. However, higher pricing often means higher quality for other people.

I wouldn't bother me if the service was consistent. It would bother me if it went from $4 to $6, then from $6 to $10 and so on..

How much does a terabyte HDD cost? If you are paying $4 per month and get 1000GB of space, how many months does the provider have to take your money before that drive is paid for? I'd prefer to do business with a profitable company.

Professional.

4. Do you compare hosts before you sign up or do you just sign up once you find a good offer that matches your requirements. How do you make your choice ?[/QUOTE]

I do due diligence.
    Cybercon.com Elite Tier 1 Web Hosting and Managed Services
    www.Cybercon.com
    Supreme Service - Flexible Pricing
    Advanced Hardware - Complete Security

1. Yes it would bother me. I signed up at a certain price so I would look elsehwere.

2. I look fo twice what I may need. Hosts offering anywhere between 20 and 20k GB's are the same for me.

3. Beginner

4. I look around on comparison sites.

I would say that increasing the price by 25-50% without simultaneously improving what the hosting plan offers is deeply unfair. Whether it would be enough to make me switch would depend on how satisfied I was with the host. If everything was running perfectly and I was happy with the features offered as well as the technical support, I might decide to stay.
    But if I came to this host specifically for the low price, it most definitely would make me want to move to a different host.

I am currently using about 300 MB of space, and 7 GB of bandwidth per month. My hosting plan offers 500 GB and 5 TB respectively.

I know I'm not going to need all of this space and bandwidth any time soon, but I do like knowing I have it if I need it. I might decide to set up a site that takes 100 GB of space and 1 TB of bandwidth per month tomorrow, and I like knowing that if that happens, I'll be able to set up this site without incurring any expenses except for the domain name(s).

Professional computer user with nearly 15 years of experience; I've been running websites for about 6-7 years.

I listen to my friends' recommendations. I then spend several hours comparing hosts and finding one that offers what I need plus a little more for future expansion/new sites while charging a reasonable price.
    I then spend about an hour finding out other people's experiences with this host, specifically whether anyone feels they've been scammed, or tech support was lacking, or promises weren't met.

11. To me, the most important factor for hosting this the band width and disk space in relation to price. The most for the least amount.

Now, I know I will never need 100GB of disk space but it is nice to know that I have that option.

I then spend several hours comparing hosts and finding one that offers what I need plus a little more for future expansion/new sites while charging a reasonable price.
    Looks like last time you chose a host, "little more" was quite a flexible notion.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Looks like last time you chose a host, "little more" was quite a flexible notion.
    Meh, it just so happened that the best host I found decided to offer 1000 times what I needed
    I don't mind the extra space/bandwidth, and I would still have chosen to use them if they only offered e.g. 1 GB of space and 15 GB of bandwidth.