Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 72
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159

    HostNine Review - 4/10

    I recently got an account with HostNine because my previous host, Dathorn, had very bad business practices. Overall, HostNine seems like a good host that falls woefully short in a few areas.

    Set Up - 9/10
    Very fast set up. Others in the industry, such as my old host Dathorn that lied and claimed to have Near Instant Setups, can learn a thing or two from HostNine in this area.

    Value - 10/10
    Great price and came with a free WHMCS license. The 50% coupon was nice too. Great bang for your buck -- especially if you're only staying with them for a month!

    Support - 5/10
    Support responded quickly but it seems like their technicians are either dumb or overworked. A lot of the time they would just reply something meaningless to me, almost like they were stalling for some reason.

    Services - 1/10
    I have some pretty major complaints here. I had major problems with my FTP connection timing out. Uploading one big file was no problem, but uploading a folder with a bunch of little files consistently made the connection time out or other weird errors pop up. This was very annoying and more than enough to get HostNine a 1/10 in this category, but there's more.

    HostNine's WHM replacement, Reseller Central, sucks hard. It's basically a lame version of WHM. Because of their decision to go with this system, HostNine has caused a lot of problems for resellers. Resellers are unable to brand CPanel and a lot of WHMCS's automated functions are hamstrung. For example, since new customers (of a reseller) can be stuck on any of a number of servers, it is impossible for WHMCS to know what IP address they have and so the customer can't connect to their account until their DNS propogates or the reseller manually gets their IP to them.

    This wouldn't have been a problem if HostNine would move me over to WHM but they keep on sandbagging me. It also wouldn't be a problem if they created a WHMCS module that adequately deals with the Reseller Central system. WHMCS made a module that performs most of the server functions for new accounts but it doesn't deal with the multiple IP addresses issue. Before HostNine introduced this system they should have planned ahead better.

    Also, because of the multiple IP addresses for customers, my CPanel login script stopped working because it targets my reseller domain. I had to add an option for customers to input their own domain, and because they are very lazy I'm sure they don't like that extra step.

    Business Practices - 10/10

    No complaints here, so they get the full 10/10.

    Conclusion
    HostNine seems like a pretty good deal for people who don't care about the things that caused problems with me. However, it does seem like their servers have slow downs sometimes, perhaps because some pesky customers are running scripts that use up lots of resources. For some resellers, the Reseller Central system is a big problem, big enough to eliminate an otherwise adequate host.

    Personally, I plan on sticking with them for a little while longer to see if they fix their problems.

    *Final score on the Cisco scale: 9/10 & 10/10 & 5/10 & 1/10 & 10/10 = 4/10

    *The & symbol represents the Cisco Function.
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,016
    HostNine's WHM replacement, Reseller Central, sucks hard. It's basically a lame version of WHM. Because of their decision to go with this system, HostNine has caused a lot of problems for resellers. Resellers are unable to brand CPanel and a lot of WHMCS's automated functions are hamstrung. For example, since new customers (of a reseller) can be stuck on any of a number of servers, it is impossible for WHMCS to know what IP address they have and so the customer can't connect to their account until their DNS propogates or the reseller manually gets their IP to them.
    How long did you actually try the HostNine Service? If it had been any longer than 10 seconds you would have noticed that you can use WHM, if you are not happy with there Resellers Central Solution.

    This wouldn't have been a problem if HostNine would move me over to WHM but they keep on sandbagging me. It also wouldn't be a problem if they created a WHMCS module that adequately deals with the Reseller Central system. WHMCS made a module that performs most of the server functions for new accounts but it doesn't deal with the multiple IP addresses issue. Before HostNine introduced this system they should have planned ahead better.
    Its not really up to them to make a module for WHMCS. It was your choice to use WHMCS, they did not force you to try and use it. They offer Modernbill to which is compatible with there Resellers Central Solution.

    Also, because of the multiple IP addresses for customers, my CPanel login script stopped working because it targets my reseller domain. I had to add an option for customers to input their own domain, and because they are very lazy I'm sure they don't like that extra step.
    What do you mean by this? Generally, if you have a dedicated IP address, it remains the same all the time.

    I have some pretty major complaints here. I had major problems with my FTP connection timing out. Uploading one big file was no problem, but uploading a folder with a bunch of little files consistently made the connection time out or other weird errors pop up. This was very annoying and more than enough to get HostNine a 1/10 in this category, but there's more.
    So really, you have only experienced one real problem with Hostnine, which I am sure they are willing to fix.
    *Final score on the Cisco scale: 9/10 & 10/10 & 5/10 & 1/10 & 10/10 = 4/10
    And, yet again, according to your logic its 4, but if you use real world logic and maths it would be a 7/10.

    I hope at one point or another, you actually find a host your happy with. Either that or get a VPS or dedicated server and configure it the way you like. I would highly recommend LimeStone Networks. They have the best support I have ever seen!
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post

    *Final score on the Cisco scale: 9/10 & 10/10 & 5/10 & 1/10 & 10/10 = 4/10

    *The & symbol represents the Cisco Function.


    Didn't you say the maximum score is limited to the maximum of the lowest score? I don't understand this logic. In fact, it is not logic at all. It is nonsense.

    The only good thing I could say is that your review was neutral. But I see no reason to mention Dathorn at all. So really, although I'm sure your review will no doubt be helpful in the experiences you have described, it is clear it is still filled with hatred of your previous host. And I can never trust a review which is structured as such..

    Thanks for posting it anyway..
    Last edited by IH-Rameen; 01-30-2008 at 05:56 AM.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    How long did you actually try the HostNine Service? If it had been any longer than 10 seconds you would have noticed that you can use WHM, if you are not happy with there Resellers Central Solution.
    You are 100% mistaken. I asked them to switch me to WHM and they refused to. Also, I have been with them much longer than 10 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    Its not really up to them to make a module for WHMCS. It was your choice to use WHMCS, they did not force you to try and use it. They offer Modernbill to which is compatible with there Resellers Central Solution.
    I think that it is up to them to create the module or to place pressure on WHMCS to create it. If you think it is up to the reseller to create the module then I have to question your understanding of the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    What do you mean by this? Generally, if you have a dedicated IP address, it remains the same all the time.
    Getting a dedicated IP would only affect my reseller website. New customers get stuck on random servers with different IPs regardless of whether or not the reseller website has a dedicated or shared IP.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    So really, you have only experienced one real problem with Hostnine, which I am sure they are willing to fix.
    I listed several problems I have had with HostNine: their Reseller Central system, their FTP problems, their slowless, their bad support. Perhaps you need to re-read my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    And, yet again, according to your logic its 4, but if you use real world logic and maths it would be a 7/10.
    I used logic in the creation of my Cisco Formula. For some reason you assume that each category is weighted the same. Your assumption is incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    I hope at one point or another, you actually find a host your happy with. Either that or get a VPS or dedicated server and configure it the way you like. I would highly recommend LimeStone Networks. They have the best support I have ever seen!
    I have never heard of this LimesStoned Network before. Based on the fact that you like them I am going to assume they are a bad host and not look into them.
    Last edited by Cisco; 01-30-2008 at 06:33 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    Didn't you say the maximum score is limited to the maximum of the lowest score? I don't understand this logic. In fact, it is not logic at all. It is nonsense.
    The maximum score is only limited to the lowest score in cases where the lowest score is a 0. I was tempted to give HostNine a 0 in one of the subscores, but ultimately changed my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    The only good thing I could say is that your review was neutral.
    I am an absolutely unbiased reviewer.
    Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    But I see no reason to mention Dathorn at all.
    I just ended my service with Dathorn, of course that would have an effect on what I thought of my new host.
    Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    So really, although I'm sure your review will no doubt be helpful in the experiences you have described, it is clear it is still filled with hatred of your previous host. And I can never trust a review which is structured as such..
    I do not hate my previous host. I simply state facts. That you mistake my facts for hatred just goes to show how pitiful Dathorn is.
      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,016
    You are 100% mistaken. I asked them to switch me to WHM and they refused to. Also, I have been with them much longer than 10 seconds.
    I'm sorry about that, last time I was with them, I had the option of choosing which platform I wanted to use.

    I think that it is up to them to create the module or to place pressure on WHMCS to create it. If you think it is up to the reseller to create the module then I have to question your understanding of the situation.
    Its not really that I expect the Reseller to create it, but I think that not everything can be supported by every program.

    Getting a dedicated IP would only affect my reseller website. New customers get stuck on random servers with different IPs regardless of whether or not the reseller website has a dedicated or shared IP.
    I don't think that the Hostnine solution is what your after. For eg. if you get a dedicated IP address with Hostgator, that points to your reseller account, but you have one Shared IP address with all the customers on that server. So you won't have to worry about the changing IP addresses

    I have never heard of this LimesStoned Network before. Based on the fact that you like them I am going to assume they are a bad host and not look into them.
    I am sorry you feel this way. But I would really recommend you look into them, just a little bit. They are a fantastic host and the best part of all is that you can change the settings on your server to match what you want it to do. There support is also outstanding!

    I would also like to say sorry to you, I feel my first post on this thread may have been a little, biased, in that I had no problems with Hostnine while I was with them. But I understand your view point now, and for my previous comments, I am sorry.
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    I have never heard of this LimesStoned Network before. Based on the fact that you like them I am going to assume they are a bad host and not look into them.
    It's actually called "LimeStone Networks".

    And that is an extremely ignorant and narrow minded view. Not going with a host because you disagree with the opinions of someone else that is with them? It doesn't mean that they are going to share the same opinions as all their customers..
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    I'm sorry about that, last time I was with them, I had the option of choosing which platform I wanted to use.
    Unfortunately, I kind of get the impression with HostNine that they have experienced a lot of growth in a short period of time -- with unfortunate consequences for their customers. Hopefully they'll be able to get things under control soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    Its not really that I expect the Reseller to create it, but I think that not everything can be supported by every program.
    True, but I feel that it would be a pretty easy fix if HostNine spent any amount of time on the problem. There's a whole list in WHMCS of server management systems that I assume work correctly and it's unfortunate that Reseller Central wasn't tested thoroughly before being introduced. If they got it working right they would actually have a better product than WHM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    I don't think that the Hostnine solution is what your after. For eg. if you get a dedicated IP address with Hostgator, that points to your reseller account, but you have one Shared IP address with all the customers on that server. So you won't have to worry about the changing IP addresses
    I may end up having to go to another host, but I would prefer not to because of the fact that that HostNine lets you choose where your server is located. I just wish they had implemented that ability correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    I am sorry you feel this way. But I would really recommend you look into them, just a little bit. They are a fantastic host and the best part of all is that you can change the settings on your server to match what you want it to do. There support is also outstanding!
    Alright, if I end up leaving HostNine, I promise I'll look into them.

    Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    I would also like to say sorry to you, I feel my first post on this thread may have been a little, biased, in that I had no problems with Hostnine while I was with them. But I understand your view point now, and for my previous comments, I am sorry.
    No problem. I also apologize if I came across as gruff.
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    And that is an extremely ignorant and narrow minded view. Not going with a host because you disagree with the opinions of someone else that is with them?
    There are tens of thousands of hosts out there. Since I don't have enough time to study each one, pretty much any excuse is enough for me to cross a host off my list. Including me disagreeing with one of their customers and their customer recommending that host.
    Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    It doesn't mean that they are going to share the same opinions as all their customers..
    Have you ever heard the saying, "Birds of a feather flock together"? I find that it is true a lot of the time.
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,987
    Cisco, may I please have the ticket ID regarding the FTP issues?
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Well here is my review with hostnine.com:

    I had gotten a reseller in order to have back ups for my dedicated server (just important backups, and to reseller like 5GB of space.)

    I had been with them right at the time when they implemented reseller central, and I had been given the choice to choose to switch to reseller central, which I said I wanted to stay with WHM instead, because I am very use to it. Later in the months they upgraded the 10GB Disk Space and 100gb BW to 15GB Disk Space and 150GB BW, and had also been changing billing software to WHMCS, so I was hoping to get the upgrade, since its the same price that I am paying for the 10GB, and the same plan. Instead... They tell me that they will not give me the upgrade in plan, will not give me options to manage my accounts using the manage accounts in account functions which is disable on hosts until you request. They wanted me to switch to Reseller Central in order to obtain the upgrade that they did to my package? I asked why? They gave me an informal message telling me that they wanted to remove their old servers, yet the server was actually top of the line sever... better then their dedicated servers. I said ok... well I will stay with WHM so could you change me to a server where i can have the proper package quotas that my package should now have, and their answer was no. They are right now during this month have been trying to force out customers to their central reseller in order to save money, and "time" but they are making me and maybe a few other customers think twice about reselling with them. They might even force out modernbill licenses, which I use their license because it comes with the package for free (although modernbill is kind of dieing, I still use modernbill because i got way tooo many clients to transfer).

    Here is excerpts of chat discussions with their support which also seems to make me say "Am I really their customer or am I just a moneybag?"

    Ticket ID: WMU-367107
    ------------------
    Andrew,

    All these upgrades are disabled for WHM customers as incentive to upgrade to Reseller Central. The person you spoke to gave the wrong information I'm afraid.

    Best Regards,
    Joshua Brown
    HostNine Abuse & Billing Manager
    Level 2 Technical Support
    ------------------
    Andrew,

    Unless you upgrade to RC, the upgrades are not valid.

    Further, the features you mention were never part of WHM, they are part of the incentive to upgrade to RC.

    Finally, SSH can be requested via hostingnine.com/ssh-request/

    Best Regards,
    Joshua Brown
    ------------------
    Hello,

    So this also includes not being able to upgrade of resources, unless I use RC?

    I am finding this very funny since your forcing customers to use Reseller Central, yet I very much like to have WHM since the feel and the amount of control you have and including the type of control you have is much more easier, and allowed to have the control on which control panel you use.

    Could you not run this ticket across to Rick? Maybe for review since I am right now not finding it easy to keep using WHM since your forcing me to use it to get these features available to WHM, and including when i was with you guys a year ago when you had started off and usually you would give this stuff, then I moved onto dedicated, and came back. I even remember clientexec and having to be moved from it to modernbill.

    Thank You,
    Andrew
    ------------------
    Hi Andrew,

    Rick is not available anymore, I'm sorry.

    Again, to use these features you will need to use RC, we are not making exceptions on these. We need to get rid of these older boxes.
    ------------------

    The server specs for people who want to know (Servers are top of the line):

    ------------------
    2x Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2216 (4 cpus)
    4Gigs of ram
    ------------------

    I am probably going to stay, but if resellers want WHM and do not want RC, I would find a different host as they discontinued WHM, I guess i am one of the few customers left on WHM at Hostnine.com....
    Last edited by niorola; 01-30-2008 at 08:23 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Cisco, may I please have the ticket ID regarding the FTP issues?
    Who are you and why do you want that?

    Quote Originally Posted by niorola View Post
    I am probably going to stay, but if resellers want WHM and do not want RC, I would find a different host as they discontinued WHM, I guess i am one of the few customers left on WHM at Hostnine.com....
    The guy from your transcripts was one of the geniuses I've had to deal with as well. I guess I'm going to stick around for now but keep an eye out for alternatives.
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Who are you and why do you want that?


    The guy from your transcripts was one of the geniuses I've had to deal with as well. I guess I'm going to stick around for now but keep an eye out for alternatives.
    Ya he was really telling me that their is no such thing as "Modify an Account" in "account functions", when really I know their is and it is available in reseller usually disable but enabled by host at request. He then says, that it is available in RC, but not in WHM... Not true, been maintaining cPanel servers for long enough, you can see with cPanel that I am a customer with them (testimonials) and I see that when hostnine tells a customer who is very familiar with WHM/cPanel that a feature is only available on another system, it is like lieing to them. I will stick with them till they stop giving modernbill... what is 5gb less going to do to me, although I want the exact package I signed up, with the upgrades they offer now on that package!

    Original sign up package had: 10GB disk and 100GB BW
    New package (same package name and price): 15GB and 150GB BW

    What I am told, "As an insentive to take people off their old servers".

    Does this sound wrong to you to be paying same that people pay using RC, but less resources?

    I hope to know if Hostnine will actually open their ears or Ben will atleast look at this thread, even Rick looking once over it would bring in some light.
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by niorola View Post
    ...I see that when hostnine tells a customer who is very familiar with WHM/cPanel that a feature is only available on another system, it is like lieing to them.
    It's not just like lying, it IS lying. Although it might just be limited to this Joshua Brown fellow and not the whole company.

    It's going to be a shame to have to leave them. I really liked having the WHMCS license included with the account.

    Quote Originally Posted by niorola View Post
    What I am told, "As an insentive to take people off their old servers".
    I'm almost surprised they don't make all the old servers redirect to lemonparty or something. That would be a strong incentive too!
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The PitLane
    Posts
    2,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post

    I do not hate my previous host. I simply state facts. That you mistake my facts for hatred just goes to show how pitiful Dathorn is.
    There's that cisco logic again

    More seriously, I found it an informative review, and appreciate that it is fundimentaly factual of your experience.
    Last edited by Brian-de-vie; 01-30-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    _____________________________________________________________
    - There are many types of Marmalade -
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The PitLane
    Posts
    2,874
    Quote Originally Posted by niorola View Post

    Original sign up package had: 10GB disk and 100GB BW
    New package (same package name and price): 15GB and 150GB BW

    What I am told, "As an insentive to take people off their old servers".

    Does this sound wrong to you to be paying same that people pay using RC, but less resources?

    I hope to know if Hostnine will actually open their ears or Ben will atleast look at this thread, even Rick looking once over it would bring in some light.
    I don't actualy think it's wrong, maybe not wise from a business perspective.
    Maybe a bigger carrot would work, say, move to RC & get the next size up reseller plan at unchanged cost.

    Seems like they are over optimistic about moving all resellers to RC, so if it's not going to happen, NOW is the time for Host9 to make, alternative arrangements, although I can understand that they would prefer to avoid it, they realy seem to have no choice.

    From what I've 'heard', Ben is the one that listerns/accomodates, but I don't think your close to the first person to be 'less than pleased' with Joshua's customer handling.

    re. WHMCS / MB not sure why WHMCS have released the RC compatable version, if it doesnot fully unite with it.
    If I was in Host9's shoes [or similar], I would be desperate to offer an alternative to MB, I believe the level of confidence at present in MB is just continueing to decline.
    _____________________________________________________________
    - There are many types of Marmalade -
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by niorola View Post
    Well here is my review with hostnine.com:

    I had gotten a reseller in order to have back ups for my dedicated server (just important backups, and to reseller like 5GB of space.)

    I had been with them right at the time when they implemented reseller central, and I had been given the choice to choose to switch to reseller central, which I said I wanted to stay with WHM instead, because I am very use to it. Later in the months they upgraded the 10GB Disk Space and 100gb BW to 15GB Disk Space and 150GB BW, and had also been changing billing software to WHMCS, so I was hoping to get the upgrade, since its the same price that I am paying for the 10GB, and the same plan. Instead... They tell me that they will not give me the upgrade in plan, will not give me options to manage my accounts using the manage accounts in account functions which is disable on hosts until you request. They wanted me to switch to Reseller Central in order to obtain the upgrade that they did to my package? I asked why? They gave me an informal message telling me that they wanted to remove their old servers, yet the server was actually top of the line sever... better then their dedicated servers. I said ok... well I will stay with WHM so could you change me to a server where i can have the proper package quotas that my package should now have, and their answer was no. They are right now during this month have been trying to force out customers to their central reseller in order to save money, and "time" but they are making me and maybe a few other customers think twice about reselling with them. They might even force out modernbill licenses, which I use their license because it comes with the package for free (although modernbill is kind of dieing, I still use modernbill because i got way tooo many clients to transfer).

    Here is excerpts of chat discussions with their support which also seems to make me say "Am I really their customer or am I just a moneybag?"

    Ticket ID: WMU-367107
    ------------------
    Andrew,

    All these upgrades are disabled for WHM customers as incentive to upgrade to Reseller Central. The person you spoke to gave the wrong information I'm afraid.

    Best Regards,
    Joshua Brown
    HostNine Abuse & Billing Manager
    Level 2 Technical Support
    ------------------
    Andrew,

    Unless you upgrade to RC, the upgrades are not valid.

    Further, the features you mention were never part of WHM, they are part of the incentive to upgrade to RC.

    Finally, SSH can be requested via hostingnine.com/ssh-request/

    Best Regards,
    Joshua Brown
    ------------------
    Hello,

    So this also includes not being able to upgrade of resources, unless I use RC?

    I am finding this very funny since your forcing customers to use Reseller Central, yet I very much like to have WHM since the feel and the amount of control you have and including the type of control you have is much more easier, and allowed to have the control on which control panel you use.

    Could you not run this ticket across to Rick? Maybe for review since I am right now not finding it easy to keep using WHM since your forcing me to use it to get these features available to WHM, and including when i was with you guys a year ago when you had started off and usually you would give this stuff, then I moved onto dedicated, and came back. I even remember clientexec and having to be moved from it to modernbill.

    Thank You,
    Andrew
    ------------------
    Hi Andrew,

    Rick is not available anymore, I'm sorry.

    Again, to use these features you will need to use RC, we are not making exceptions on these. We need to get rid of these older boxes.
    ------------------

    The server specs for people who want to know (Servers are top of the line):

    ------------------
    2x Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2216 (4 cpus)
    4Gigs of ram
    ------------------

    I am probably going to stay, but if resellers want WHM and do not want RC, I would find a different host as they discontinued WHM, I guess i am one of the few customers left on WHM at Hostnine.com....
    After much consideration we will be offering WHM Plans along side of Reseller Central plans as well. These will be available today for legacy users who wish to stay on WHM.

    The main reason for the upgrades and requirement to move to Reseller Central is to get people upgraded to the new system. We have thousands of resellers using the new system and they have never been happier to get out of the single server solution. I guess the main thing to look at with RC is what it is capable of doing. Sure, it's missing a few things WHM has but why host everything on one server? With RC you can spread sites out across an infinite amount of servers and if one has an issue it may only affect one of your sites rather than all of them.

    As for the FTP problems do you have a ticket on that? I can assure you the performance on a server within the RC network is like night and day compared to a standard single server solution. I mean look at it this way. You have a reseller account with any company in the world. You stay on that same server for 2 years. The average amount of resellers on a single server can be anywhere from 75-100. As soon as cPanel servers get around 1200-1900 domains on them they start to slow down like crazy when it comes to adding accounts etc. With RC no server will ever have more than 300 domain names. That is a huge increase in performance and right now every node within RC has well over the 99.9% uptime guarantee.

    Anyways, feel free to PM and I will gladly work on any issues/concerns you may have.
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,219
    I'm a bit curious, Cisco do you have any examples of this:

    Support - 5/10
    Support responded quickly but it seems like their technicians are either dumb or overworked. A lot of the time they would just reply something meaningless to me, almost like they were stalling for some reason.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    After much consideration we will be offering WHM Plans along side of Reseller Central plans as well. These will be available today for legacy users who wish to stay on WHM.

    The main reason for the upgrades and requirement to move to Reseller Central is to get people upgraded to the new system. We have thousands of resellers using the new system and they have never been happier to get out of the single server solution. I guess the main thing to look at with RC is what it is capable of doing. Sure, it's missing a few things WHM has but why host everything on one server? With RC you can spread sites out across an infinite amount of servers and if one has an issue it may only affect one of your sites rather than all of them.

    As for the FTP problems do you have a ticket on that? I can assure you the performance on a server within the RC network is like night and day compared to a standard single server solution. I mean look at it this way. You have a reseller account with any company in the world. You stay on that same server for 2 years. The average amount of resellers on a single server can be anywhere from 75-100. As soon as cPanel servers get around 1200-1900 domains on them they start to slow down like crazy when it comes to adding accounts etc. With RC no server will ever have more than 300 domain names. That is a huge increase in performance and right now every node within RC has well over the 99.9% uptime guarantee.

    Anyways, feel free to PM and I will gladly work on any issues/concerns you may have.
    I can understand that you guys wanted to have RC up to full with many resellers on it, but what you missed was that not every single reseller will like the look and feel of RC control panel. I have no problem with RC control panel, it looks good, but I am so use to WHM because I administrate over 30 WHM servers. I am sure you would understand that once your hooked onto something, switching to something else is not easy. I also wanted to point out that the support really needs to listen to customer request, such as asking for a higher administrator to review the ticket, instead I was told "He was ordered to say it to all resellers" like he was avoiding me from being able to talk to some one higher up in the company.

    Once RC actually has the side bar like WHM has in the exact same order, and works 100% with modernbill, then I will likely change to RC because I agree that it does have the feature to move people over to different servers in a few clicks, also has the ability to have move server with out the need of support, but I do not like to try a control panel that is not yet worked out and that still has less functions then WHM has.

    PS: A nice feature for RC would be the ability to transfer your own accounts like you would do in WHM if you had root, that way users can do this instantly and also allow users to over sell packages but limit them on BW and Disk that they are allowed, including ability to upgrade quickly and significantly efficiently!

    - Andrew
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    After much consideration we will be offering WHM Plans along side of Reseller Central plans as well. These will be available today for legacy users who wish to stay on WHM.
    Does that go for me, a customer who started on Reseller Central? Can I get switched over to WHM?
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    The main reason for the upgrades and requirement to move to Reseller Central is to get people upgraded to the new system. We have thousands of resellers using the new system and they have never been happier to get out of the single server solution. I guess the main thing to look at with RC is what it is capable of doing. Sure, it's missing a few things WHM has but why host everything on one server? With RC you can spread sites out across an infinite amount of servers and if one has an issue it may only affect one of your sites rather than all of them.
    I don't have a fundamental problem with Reseller Central. If it worked fine then I would have no complaints about it.

    What, if anything, are you doing to make WHMCS accommodate the different IP addresses that new customers are placed on?

    Are you doing anything to set up CPanel branding?

    Those are the only two issues that I have with Reseller Central. The IP issue is one that absolutely should have been taken care of before you introduced the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    As for the FTP problems do you have a ticket on that?
    I didn't open a ticket because I didn't see the point in complaining to your support people when they obviously can't get anything done.
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    I can assure you the performance on a server within the RC network is like night and day compared to a standard single server solution. I mean look at it this way. You have a reseller account with any company in the world. You stay on that same server for 2 years. The average amount of resellers on a single server can be anywhere from 75-100. As soon as cPanel servers get around 1200-1900 domains on them they start to slow down like crazy when it comes to adding accounts etc. With RC no server will ever have more than 300 domain names. That is a huge increase in performance and right now every node within RC has well over the 99.9% uptime guarantee.
    Exactly. I would happily enjoy all the benefits of your system -- if only it worked correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    Anyways, feel free to PM and I will gladly work on any issues/concerns you may have.
    I'm going to PM you about this Joshua Brown guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaw Networks View Post
    I'm a bit curious, Cisco do you have any examples of this:
    If this isn't sandbagging, then I don't know what is (starts at the bottom):

    Joshua
    Posted On: 30 Jan 2008 07:55 PM
    Hi,

    I am the supervisor

    Let us know if you need anything further, we'll be happy to help!

    Thank you for choosing HostNine!

    Best Regards,
    Joshua Brown
    Level 2 Technical Support
    Abuse/Billing Manager
    Cisco
    Posted On: 30 Jan 2008 07:39 PM
    Regardless, please give me your supervisor's contact information immediately.

    Joshua
    Posted On: 30 Jan 2008 02:18 PM
    Cisco,

    This isnt' a matter for a supervisor, this issue needs to be contacted WHMCS on. We do not provide technical support for the WHMCS product.

    Let us know if you need anything further, we'll be happy to help!

    Thank you for choosing HostNine!

    Best Regards,
    Joshua Brown
    Level 2 Technical Support
    Abuse/Billing Manager
    Cisco
    Posted On: 30 Jan 2008 07:26 AM
    Please escalate this ticket to your supervisor or give me his/her contact information.
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    I don't actualy think it's wrong, maybe not wise from a business perspective.
    Maybe a bigger carrot would work, say, move to RC & get the next size up reseller plan at unchanged cost.
    Exactly. A business should provide positive incentives to encourage customers to make a change -- not threaten to beat them with clubs and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    From what I've 'heard', Ben is the one that listerns/accomodates, but I don't think your close to the first person to be 'less than pleased' with Joshua's customer handling.
    I'll see if I can get Joshua to put me in touch with Ben. That might be difficult because Joshua is acting like a toddler right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    re. WHMCS / MB not sure why WHMCS have released the RC compatable version, if it doesnot fully unite with it.
    If I was in Host9's shoes [or similar], I would be desperate to offer an alternative to MB, I believe the level of confidence at present in MB is just continueing to decline.
    Interestingly enough, HostNine still has MB available as an alternative to WHMCS. It's too bad they don't have a similar setup with Reseller Central and WHM.
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The PitLane
    Posts
    2,874
    Well locking at that I have to say it appears that cisco's tone was hardly soft, with Joshua, and if the problem you were having was re. WHMCS, then he was right, it is they you need/needed to talk to.
    Perhaps he could have guided you as to how to contact WHMCS, but not a lot else he could do, it appears.
    By the way WHMCS have a very good reputation for there support, did you try talking to them ?

    Re. the didn't raise a ticket, this was prob. a mistake, for tech probs. it's always good to have a tracable line of communication.
    _____________________________________________________________
    - There are many types of Marmalade -
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    Well locking at that I have to say it appears that cisco's tone was hardly soft, with Joshua, and if the problem you were having was re. WHMCS, then he was right, it is they you need/needed to talk to.
    WHMCS are probably the people who are going to eventually take care of this. I posted that transcript instead of others because it's the one where Joshua refused to put me in touch with anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    Perhaps he could have guided you as to how to contact WHMCS, but not a lot else he could do, it appears.
    By the way WHMCS have a very good reputation for there support, did you try talking to them ?
    In my experience, WHMCS support is usually pretty good. In this case they were very unhelpful.
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    Cisco, what domain/s did you host with hostnine?
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Is there a particular reason that you need the domain(s)?
      0 Not allowed!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Is there a particular reason that you need the domain(s)?
    It's a common question to verify the authenticity of a review.
      0 Not allowed!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    33,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Is there a particular reason that you need the domain(s)?
    If you don't want to post it publicly, simply use the Report Post icon within and moderators will verify.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    If you don't want to post it publicly, simply use the Report Post icon within and moderators will verify.
    Done. Also, if anyone wants to confirm with HostNine that I am a customer, I give them permission. They know who I am from a PM I sent them.
      0 Not allowed!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Is there a particular reason that you need the domain(s)?
    This is the 2nd such review in a handful of days, so I'm curious to see if you're actually hosting live domains with these hosts that you're reviewing.
      0 Not allowed!

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    This is the 2nd such review in a handful of days, so I'm curious to see if you're actually hosting live domains with these hosts that you're reviewing.
    The two reviews I have posted are quite different in content.

    If I were not actually using these hosts I imagine they would come in here and complain. Maybe you should leave the fact-checking to them .
      0 Not allowed!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    34,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Done.
    Thank you, although from the time you have been with them, it is early days to post such an in depth review.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    3,342
    @Cisco,

    Typically reviews of less then 3-6 months are pretty much meaningless since they do not accurately reflect on a host. Even the very best hosts have issues that can span days or weeks and even months.

    As for your review's final score I found that to be totally useless. Unless you publish your scale for each criteria your 'score' is meaningless, more so being published in a public forum.
      0 Not allowed!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    Typically reviews of less then 3-6 months are pretty much meaningless since they do not accurately reflect on a host. Even the very best hosts have issues that can span days or weeks and even months.
    I agree that a review 3-6 months in would have more meaning than one made after a shorter period of time. However, I feel that my review accurately represents how I feel about HostNine so far.

    Most of my complaints were about fundamental problems that will be present until HostNine does something to fix them -- bad support staff, Reseller Central inadequacies, etc.

    If my score had solely been based on short term problems (e.g. if there had been a power outage resulting in down time) you would be correct. Since my score is not based on problems of that nature, you are incorrect.

    I should note that all of HostNine's good features were also factored into the score.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    As for your review's final score I found that to be totally useless. Unless you publish your scale for each criteria your 'score' is meaningless, more so being published in a public forum.
    For simplicity's sake, maybe it would be better for you to think of the final score as just reflecting my overall impression of the host. HostNine is a solid 4/10 host and will remain so until they deal with the issues I brought up.
      0 Not allowed!

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Six Degrees From You
    Posts
    1,075
    I had major problems with my FTP connection timing out. Uploading one big file was no problem, but uploading a folder with a bunch of little files consistently made the connection time out or other weird errors pop up.
    I have had this happen to me with several hosts. What I guess is happening is the FTP server sees several small files comming in, very fast, and thinks you are sending a DOS attack and so it disconnects you.

    You could try asking HostNine to increase the allowed connections on the FTP server, that might help.

    Paul
      0 Not allowed!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by DephNet[Paul] View Post
    I have had this happen to me with several hosts. What I guess is happening is the FTP server sees several small files comming in, very fast, and thinks you are sending a DOS attack and so it disconnects you.

    You could try asking HostNine to increase the allowed connections on the FTP server, that might help.
    That sounds very plausible, I'll be sure to let them know.
      0 Not allowed!

  36. #36
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The PitLane
    Posts
    2,874
    Quote Originally Posted by DephNet[Paul] View Post
    I have had this happen to me with several hosts. What I guess is happening is the FTP server sees several small files comming in, very fast, and thinks you are sending a DOS attack and so it disconnects you.

    You could try asking HostNine to increase the allowed connections on the FTP server, that might help.

    Paul
    Do you know if it make any dif. which ftp software you use ? and what type of connection you have ?
    _____________________________________________________________
    - There are many types of Marmalade -
      0 Not allowed!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Six Degrees From You
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    Do you know if it make any dif. which ftp software you use ? and what type of connection you have ?
    Unfortunatly no I dont, I only ever use passive connections with ProFTPd.

    Paul
      0 Not allowed!

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    After much consideration we will be offering WHM Plans along side of Reseller Central plans as well. These will be available today for legacy users who wish to stay on WHM.

    The main reason for the upgrades and requirement to move to Reseller Central is to get people upgraded to the new system. We have thousands of resellers using the new system and they have never been happier to get out of the single server solution. I guess the main thing to look at with RC is what it is capable of doing. Sure, it's missing a few things WHM has but why host everything on one server? With RC you can spread sites out across an infinite amount of servers and if one has an issue it may only affect one of your sites rather than all of them.

    As for the FTP problems do you have a ticket on that? I can assure you the performance on a server within the RC network is like night and day compared to a standard single server solution. I mean look at it this way. You have a reseller account with any company in the world. You stay on that same server for 2 years. The average amount of resellers on a single server can be anywhere from 75-100. As soon as cPanel servers get around 1200-1900 domains on them they start to slow down like crazy when it comes to adding accounts etc. With RC no server will ever have more than 300 domain names. That is a huge increase in performance and right now every node within RC has well over the 99.9% uptime guarantee.

    Anyways, feel free to PM and I will gladly work on any issues/concerns you may have.
    HostNine has yet to commit to the changes. They have not yet given legacy users the upgrades which they have done for the packages which they offer... I am feeling still left out of this process. I would like to see that our packages are exactly what they are described on their homepage!

    - Andrew
      0 Not allowed!

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by niorola View Post
    HostNine has yet to commit to the changes. They have not yet given legacy users the upgrades which they have done for the packages which they offer... I am feeling still left out of this process. I would like to see that our packages are exactly what they are described on their homepage!

    - Andrew
    Have you tried emailing support about that? I believe there is no way to automatically upgrade resellers in whm, it needs to be done one by one.
    Newbies Rock. Oh wait, now I'm a Guru Wannabe!
    Go Wannabes!

    Disclaimer: My thoughts and opinions do not reflect any company I work for as they are mine and only mine.
      0 Not allowed!

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingcube View Post
    Have you tried emailing support about that? I believe there is no way to automatically upgrade resellers in whm, it needs to be done one by one.
    Their is a way to "upgrade package bandwidth and diskspace" via setting it up in package setup, which would upgrade EVERY reseller who has that package.

    This is automatic and all they need to do is a 4 second simple click on edit for the package, and type in the new values, and every reseller with that package will have the new alloted space.

    They still have yet to do it.

    Hi,

    The new WHM package offerings that Ben speaks of, will be the same specs of the old WHM reseller plans, 5 GB less space and 50 GB less bandwidth per account, so you're already on the plan that will be offered.

    Let us know if you need anything further, we'll be happy to help!

    Thank you for choosing HostNine!

    Best Regards,
    Joshua Brown
    Level 2 Technical Support
    Abuse/Billing Manager
    Which is totally wrong in the business word, is to offer a package upgrade on the package and not to actually do it for everyone with the same package.

    For example, you buy the Entry plan from Hostnine 3 months ago, and the price is 19.95 and the specs are 10GB and 150GB Bandwidth.

    3 months with your package, Hostnine upgrades the plan "Entry" at the same price of 19.95 and the new specs of 15GB and 150GB Bandwidth. They will not upgrade you till you use their own control panel, Reseller Central. This does not sound right for a business to do. Forcing members, and they still will be forcing members our of cPanel's WHM.

    Ben HAS SAID that the plans will be offered with WHM, no where on their site do they say you have to use the old plans in order to have WHM...

    Hostnine should smarten up. This is not the best way to force clients to use RC...

    - Andrew
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •