Looking for a server

Hello,

I'm looking for a server with the specs below for a price of max $110 per month. I ordered this server from Volumedrive but these people have such a good reputation here at WHT that they are always sold out. I don't want to wait any longer and want a server as soon as possible. I would prefer a webhost that has a good rep here on WHT like Volumedrive.

Code:
    Server: AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.0 Ghz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 120 GB SATA Hard Drive
    Operating System: OSFC5
    Control Panel: cPanel
    Requested IP Allocation: 2 IP Addresses
    <<I don't need no stinking rules for signature setup!>>

I am not sure if you can get the same specs with other provider though but did you try to search the advertising forums?

Net
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I don't know what OSFC5 is, but..

Code:
    PENTIUM D 3.0GHZ
    2GB DDR RAM
    250GB HDD
    2000GB Transfer
    5 Dedicated IPs
    FREE SETUP!!

$89.99
    cPanel is a extra $35 or so (with Fantastico)

It's at GeekRack, I don't have a server with them though I am considering their Pentium D server,
    http://geekrack.net/dedispecials.php

Good luck.

Have you tried burst.net?

Quote Originally Posted by JelloX View Post
    I don't know what OSFC5 is, but..

Code:
    PENTIUM D 3.0GHZ
    2GB DDR RAM
    250GB HDD
    2000GB Transfer
    5 Dedicated IPs
    FREE SETUP!!

$89.99
    cPanel is a extra $35 or so (with Fantastico)

It's at GeekRack, I don't have a server with them though I am considering their Pentium D server,
    http://geekrack.net/dedispecials.php

Good luck.
    I don't know much about computers, but how those a PENTIUM D 3.0GHZ compare to a AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.0 Ghz?

The x2 4200+ is better for sure. An Intel P4D serie equal to the x2 4200+ would be about a 3.4-3.6GHz one. Since these run really hot (which is bad for servers), I would recommend to look for an E2140/2160/E4300/4400/4500/Xeon 3040/3050/3060 (or higher, but you won't find many E6***/Xeon 5*** series in your $-range) if you want an Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by vipeax View Post
    The x2 4200+ is better for sure. An Intel P4D serie equal to the x2 4200+ would be about a 3.4-3.6GHz one. Since these run really hot (which is bad for servers), I would recommend to look for an E2140/2160/E4300/4400/4500/Xeon 3040/3050/3060 (or higher, but you won't find many E6***/Xeon 5*** series in your $-range) if you want an Intel.
    vipeax, you are always recommending Volumedrive on this forum. I followed you advice, but it appears that the demand is too much for them to handle. Which other host can you recommend that has good servers with prices like Volumedrive?

What area do you have in mind? Don't blame me for the waitings there .

What area do you have in mind? Don't blame me for the waitings there .
    What do you mean by "what area"?

Like,

Anything specific: Only US or also Europe
    Only a certain state, or maybe only a certain city?
    Also an important thing: How much bandwidth per month.

Like,

Anything specific: Only US or also Europe
    Only a certain state, or maybe only a certain city?
    Also an important thing: How much bandwidth per month.
    I live in Europe, but most of my users are from the US. So I guess I want a server that is based in the US, unless my US users have fast access to the European server, then I don't mind getting a server in Europe. Euro is much higher than the dollar right now, so it might be cheaper for me to get a US server. State or city doesn't matter.

According to my cPanel, my average bandwith for 2007 was 5GB per month. Up to now I have kept a very low profile for my sites, when I get my own dedicated server I intend to do some advertising and get more users. So I'm expecting something like 20GB per month. My budget is $110 per month including CPanel. I'm hiring PSM to manage my server, so operating system needs to be RedHat, CentOS or Fedora and control panel needs to be CPanel.

We use and highly recommend tailormadeservers.com:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=667097

Why not up your budget and get a bigger / larger server? Something that you can "Grow" with..

@ Ultima Hosts: They are by far out of his 110$ range...

@ platinumn23: They are private sites, not everyone has 200$ per month laying arround for fun.

According to my cPanel, my average bandwith for 2007 was 5GB per month. Up to now I have kept a very low profile for my sites, when I get my own dedicated server I intend to do some advertising and get more users. So I'm expecting something like 20GB per month.

It's not a lot of traffic, so why get a Quad with 32GB ram if a cheap server would run it just as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by platinumn23 View Post
    Why not up your budget and get a bigger / larger server? Something that you can "Grow" with..
    I don't agree with people that say that you have to get a larger server which you can grow in. I've heard this many time. It's like renting a house, if you are single you won't rent a big house because you might want to get married and have children in the future? No, you get something that fits your need at that moment, and when you get married and have children, then you get a bigger house. The same is with renting a server. Why pay more for a "larger" server while you are not using it's full capacity?

Besides, my budget is very limited. As my site grows, so will my income from advertising and membership fee, and then I can afford a larger server.

I would check the advertising forums, you can find a number of great deals there. As someone already mentioned tailormadeservers has some great deals right now and they are a pleasure to work with.

How is a P4 3.4GHz equivalent to a X2 4200+, I could see it equivalent if the P4 has HT, but if it doesn't, then X2 4200+ outperforms it.

The Pentium D is just two P4's in one, I think they have HT aswell.
    Personally I think the Pentium D I recommended will suit you well.

I told him a Pentium 4 D on 3.4-3.6GHz would be about the same...

whats your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by jshg46 View Post
    whats your budget?
    My budget is $150 per month, of which $30 per month for PSM to manage my server, which leaves $120 (maximum) per month to rent a server. The $120 is including cPanel!
    Last edited by DeNasio; 01-30-2008 at 11:56 AM.

I love your comparing a server to renting an apartment vs a house. I have used that same thing to explain the difference to my clients. I agree 100% about getting what you need. The only difference would be if you have solid projections and marketing/sales campaigns in place to expect an increase in business. Then it would be a good idea to get "something to grow into."
    Shawn Bray
    Pinellas Hosting - www.pinellashosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Collocation | Webhosting | Data Backup | Domain Registration