Question Database Server - SCSI/Raptor Question

I'm about to purchase a 2nd server to use as a database server. I've been quoted for 2 x SATA II 320GB hdd's in RAID 1 (the same of which I currently use on my single server), but searching around it appears SCSI is the norm for db servers. The problem is, my host does not offer these as a standard/upgrade option and they would need to be specially ordered (along with RAID card), which is expensive.

The fastest disks they offer are 150GB SATA 10K Raptors. My question is, would these be sufficient (compared to SCSI) and do they perform noticeably better than the standard SATA II disks?

Quoted database server specs:

Server = 1 x Dual Core Intel Woodcrest 5130
    Memory = 4G RAM
    Hard Drive 1 = 320G SATA II Hard Drive
    Hard Drive 2 = 320G SATA II Hard Drive
    Raid Config = RAID 1 (3 Ware Hardware RAID)
    Bandwidth = 3000G Multi-Homed Bandwidth
    IP Address = 4 IPs
    OS = Centos 4.6 32 bit
    Service Monitoring = Ping Monitoring with Email Notification
    Server Management = Self-Managed
    Control Panel = None
    $239 Monthly

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Raptors would preform better vs the normal SATA II drives, even against the SCSI. SAS on the other had is a better comparison.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Hello,

Actually, SCSI will out-perform 10000RPM Raptors. Reason being is that SCSI is full duplex whereas SATA is half-duplex.

I operate some MySQL servers which receive over 1500 writes per second. When we originally used SATA drives on the server, we would experience slow writes at peak time. So we switched out 10000RPM SATA for 10000RPM SCSI, and all of those problems went away. SCSI simply performs better under high load.

Also, go with RAID10 if you can.
    Jakiao