SPF record and Catch-all emails Questions

Hello,

I was wondering how good is adding SPF to a host with catch-all emails in preventing spams. Web hosts suggest to turn off the catch-all emails. But what if there is need to turn catch-all emails, then does SPF record do a good job in preventing hacker from sending out emails that appear to originate our web host?

Any suggestions about catch-all emails?

Thanks

SPF records are only useful if the receiving host checks the SPF records on the sending/senders domain, but then if someone(spammer) uses your address as a reply-to addr your stuffed as many isp's don't check SPF's! Personally use an Anti-spam service like Messagelabs / setup your own on your web/mail server (i.e spam assassin) or like your host has said disable your catch-all mailbox.

Why use catch-all emails ? I was thinking why cpanel do not have a feature to disable catch-all server wide. If you have catch-all, you will get more spam mails.

Quote Originally Posted by flashwebhost View Post
    Why use catch-all emails ? I was thinking why cpanel do not have a feature to disable catch-all server wide. If you have catch-all, you will get more spam mails.
    Catch-all email feature is needed for some types of software to be installed on the server. Some types of autoresponders need this feature switched on the server.