help and advice please

hey there i am quite new to the hostingh buisness side but i have a fair bit of exp with hosting sites etc,
    i am after starting my own rpg hosting site , i want to start hosting sites for new rpg's , just need a few suggestions please and any sites people can recommened , rpgs are eventually high bandwidth so the option to expand is a musty , please can someone give me some tips
    thankyou

danielwood,
    You definitely have your work cut out for you but I believe you have a great idea here.
    A lot of bandwidth would be needed. This will greatly depend on how many users you plan on having, and what game it is since each game does different amount of BW per connection.
    Latency is important, as it is the key to smooth gaming, not just a big pipeline. Be sure to look for hosting companies that are close to your client base. Also be careful with not over subscribing.

You will want good amount of RAM. You may also want to consider a 100Mbp port. 100Mbp-Full Duplex port

I am curious if you have decided on a budget and if you already have a good idea of what your client base will be. These will also help you determine whats needed to start and what it will cost on the front end.

If you go with a dedicated server solution, an upgraded management package would be recommended but if you have the time and knowledge, avoiding it will reduce your expenses.
    I hope this helps and if you could share more information like projected client base(to start) and budget, the advice could be more specific.
    I wish you luck in your search and please keep us updated, this is a great idea and I like to see how it turns out for you.

thanks for you comment
    well budget is not an issue , although i do want to start small ,its going to take me a bit of time to get clients rolling in in but they will come , as i have alot of contacts ,, im also wanting to help people out with there games, all the games i host to start with will be new so not much bandwidth will be used but it wont take too long for this to expand alot

To start off then focus on the CPU speed and SATA drives are suffice and for the price are good start. A couple ways you can start off by saving money is getting less BW and RAM at first, they would pretty easy to upgrade as you go along and will save you the $$$ in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by danielwood View Post
    hey there i am quite new to the hostingh buisness side but i have a fair bit of exp with hosting sites etc,
    i am after starting my own rpg hosting site , i want to start hosting sites for new rpg's , just need a few suggestions please and any sites people can recommened , rpgs are eventually high bandwidth so the option to expand is a musty , please can someone give me some tips
    thankyou
    Don't forget to check out the tutorials in the Running a Web Hosting Business forum section: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Quote Originally Posted by danielwood View Post
    thankyou
    Sean has hit the nail on the spot.. You should be very concerned about CPU and hard drive. Those RPG sites are going to use a lot of MySQL transactions, you'll want to eliminate hardware bottlenecks that could potentially prevent you from even using your aniticipated bandwidth, not to mention slowing things down and ruining user experience..
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

think this is a fantastic idea and i hope it works out, keep us posted. and like others said the CPU and HDD are vital when deciding what server to get.

thankyou for all your comments and advice so far

Awesome idea. Good Luck with it.
    - WireSix - Dedicated Servers, Custom Configurations, Colocation - Celebrating 5 years!

Curious if you got your RPG hosting site off the ground.
    Shawn Bray
    Pinellas Hosting - www.pinellashosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Collocation | Webhosting | Data Backup | Domain Registration

Hey,

For resellers I would recommend webhosting.uk.com, you may want to look into a VPS or Dedicated server though in the future to cope with the resource usage.

Best of luck.

Kind regards,
    Mark G.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Good luck. How did it turn out?