Testing OnLineNic hosting service

Hello everybody,

I am testing the onlinenic reseller hosting service and I would like to share impressions with others doing the same. I know that a good part of WHT users are skeptical about this new onlinenic service, but...

I subscribed the professional profile (H-Sphere) at the beginning of the 2008 and... At the moment I can make the following balance:

Pros:
    - It seems that from my location (Italy) the server is quite fast (I received quite different impressions from a customer located in Brazil)
    - Until now the server was never down but, of course, the testing period is still a little bit short, to be completely confident...
    - The support service is very fast in answering, but some problems took several days to be fixed (see Cons) .

Cons:
    - I had problems with php scripts using mail() function. Now the issue seems fixed, but it took a long while and strange smtp behaviours are still going on. (Php scripts where working correctly on other servers using cPanel). Similar experiences?
    - I am a Mac user and, after a first period without problems became impossible to update files via ftp with mac firewall on (timeout after log in). With windows client the problem doesn't exist.
    - I am having problems setting up cron jobs, but I had no time to open a ticket about it, yet, so I cannot say if the problem is about a syntax error (same I use for cPanel cron jobs) or a matter of permissions.

Last, I have some years of experience with cPanel/WHM and my impression about H-Sphere is not really positive: it seems a little bit chaotic and rigid. What do you think?

(Ah! I beg your pardon for my English)

I cleared up what I said about cron jobs: was a problem of path to the application. Onlinenic customer service answered me, giving the correct syntax, in less than 24 hours.

Also, I received a notification email of reply to my post, but message was not published on the forum:

The question was: "How long was your testing period?"

The answer: I subscribed the trial period at the beginning (3rd or 4th) of January 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorio View Post
    - I am a Mac user and, after a first period without problems became impossible to update files via ftp with mac firewall on (timeout after log in). With windows client the problem doesn't exist.
    Might want to try passive FTP ? If you can login but are not able to do anything afterwards it is most likely you have to enable passive FTP on your FTP client.

Onlinenic hosting service test: my conclusions

OK, I decided to quit the Onlinenic hosting service.

The real problem appears to be that they still have some technical problems - e.g. uncomfortable and incomprehensible server configuration changes "during the night". So, I don't feel confident enough to put the web sites of my customers on their servers.

Their customer service is indeed quite good, but seems to have too little experience with hosting issues.

This is the balance at the end of my test period. And my conclusion is: they need some more time to fix some organization problems.