Thread: What not to do

What not to do

Hi folks,

I saw in the linux $1,99 post a new word to me (cause i am new in hosting) ... overselling... Follow the topics i understood the world.. but now i would like to take advantage of the topic and ask what not to do in the marketing.. or a better question.. what the "bad companies" do to attract customers ? I know now that overselling is one of them.. what else do i have to avoid to offer a excellent product and service to my clients ?

Bests

Don't offer unlimited disk space and bandwidth
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Basically, do onto others as you would wish them do onto you.

I know now that overselling is one of them..
    I'd say that "It can be one of them. " is a more accurate statement.

Hi!
    The very, very worst thing you can do?

1. Lie to your customers
    2. Unrealistic Plans/Expectations/Goals
    3. Cheat your Employees
    4. Cheat your Suppliers
    5. Partner up with a moral-less company
    6. Let's play pretend.....
    7. Expect people to work for free (and like it)
    8. Lose lots and lots of your money
    9. Lose lots and lots of somebody else's money
    10. Get into the hosting biz without lots and lots of money *to* lose

Far..far worst things are being/have been/will continue to be done.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 01-29-2008 at 04:19 PM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

thanks guys...

I think everybody here already see some companies offering things that we stop and think "how do they offer this and don't break down ??"

Is there a way for we (serious companies) help the client choose the right one ? I mean.. how the hosting universe are organized ? Is the an association or a seal for best quality ?

Hi!
    Nope. Nothing like that. Ohhh..if you want to throw away some money..there are some..(cough) "awards" you can buy or seals.

The truth? Worthless...in my opinion. Hey..everybody has one.

You will find the most successful hosts building their business locally..normally concentrating on one market or a specific type of customer..say...Real Estate people.

You must have money and a plan. Do something different..provide something others do not. It hasn't worked for me..but that's not to say I have not tried.

You must be able to survive without making anything for the first three months..maybe even the first six months. If you really are serious about this..do not promise 24/7 support unless you (and a staff) can provide it.

It takes time..and a lot effort..and quite a bit of money to pull off correctly.

You must never count on just posting ads on WHT and be able to build a business like that quickly. It cannot..will not..work. You must have a advertising budget.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 01-29-2008 at 05:26 PM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer