Recommendations for IMAP Email provider for [email protected]??

Anyone know of an IMAP email service provider that would allow me to continue hosting my Domain's DNS with my web-hosting company, and then set my MX-Record on my domain to point to the IMAP providers servers?

I have been using Fusemail for years, but for one reason or another, they no longer seem to want to play nice with Microsoft Entourage (MS Office 2008 for Mac)...lots of new issues...I won't go into it at this point...

Basically, I currently have my own website (myname.com), which obviously comes with email hosting ([email protected])...The thing is that my web hosting company only provides POP email support, so previous I'd used Fusemail for IMAP, and I'd redirected the MX-Record on my web-hosting company's servers to instead point to my (soon-to-be-former) IMAP email service provider...

I am searching for an alternate provider that can allow me to re-direct mail to point to their servers, and which offers IMAP support...Ideally one that's tried, tested and approved!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

I am sure almost all the provider allow that if they support imap. <<snipped>>
    Last edited by Chris_M; 01-28-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Mostly any provider will allow you to change the MX records, and also, most of them are going to provide you IMAP, it's something very common on this days.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Google Apps. And it is free.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

www.tuffmail.com
    I am using IMAP with Apple Mail. Works great.
    Charles

Google Apps is quite good actually, and if you do not handle any R&D sensitive data, it might be worth a try. You can go with a free or paid plan, where-of with the paid-plan you get direct support and a SLA for the service provided.

Forgive the weird links referenced below...this dumb forum is the first and only one I have ever come across that forbids members with less than 5 posts to include links in their responses...

I think this - tinyurl-DOT-COM/ywnukv - is what you guys are talking about when you refer to Google Apps being able to have MX Records pointed at it for retrieve of other email accounts...Is this correct?

If so, then I don't think that this capability is free (unless you're either a full time student or a non-profit worker)...Rather, it looks like I would have to sign-up for the $50/year Premium Edition, as can be seen here - tinyurl-DOT-COM/35b4rz

Any thoughts? Is this right, or am I missing something? Please advise...Thanks!

FastMail.fm is good.

I use MailTrust.com (previously known as WebMail.us) for almost a year plus already. I had 100% uptime throughout the year and not once any downtime
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
    Any thoughts? Is this right, or am I missing something? Please advise...Thanks!
    Google Apps Standard Edition is free.

Please check the Google's site:

http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en...tions_spe.html
    Last edited by dotHostel; 01-29-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Most web hosting companies offer email hosting as well, with IMAP, but most DO NOT handle large mail boxes properly. Any company offering DBMail or Dovecot should be good enough. Otherwise, the winner is Google Apps, it's free and rock solid. If you are a terrorist, you shouldn't use Google Apps however, you never know.

I'd recommend using Google Apps, it's free and you can upgrade for a small fee if you want more things, though the free edition is enough for most. It has pop3 and imap.

Just as others recommended, google app may worth a try. Besides it's free and reliable mail service, their SPAM filtering technology is also wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
    Forgive the weird links referenced below...this dumb forum is the first and only one I have ever come across that forbids members with less than 5 posts to include links in their responses...
    First you use this forum to ask for help, the next second you call it dumb - nice one

I use google apps for my domains. Hope this helps mate.

Google app is definitely good =)

Good and free! I don't understand how none of the web hosts I've been over the last few years have been unable to handle properly large mailboxes with IMAP. They all have been equally bad. When your mailbox reaches a few hundreds of megs, it's slooooooow!

google apps ftw. any dns host can change your mx record in seconds. (updating it across the world's dns servers is another thing)
    Cybercon.com Elite Tier 1 Web Hosting and Managed Services
    www.Cybercon.com
    Supreme Service - Flexible Pricing
    Advanced Hardware - Complete Security

Quote Originally Posted by calande View Post
    Good and free! I don't understand how none of the web hosts I've been over the last few years have been unable to handle properly large mailboxes with IMAP. They all have been equally bad. When your mailbox reaches a few hundreds of megs, it's slooooooow!
    We've experienced problems with our mail servers under the same circumstances. It almost ALWAYS has to deal with hard disk i/o. Many hosts just put the OS and mail data on a single disk. For large accounts with large mail boxes, a raid array or at least data partioned to different physical disks is needed.

Ever since we virtualized all our mail servers, we keep our host OS on a disk, and each virtual mail server has an OS disk and a data disk.

We've actually been looking at putting our mail data on solid state disks, but issues with reliability have kept us from doing so. Things seem to be changing though!
    Cybercon.com Elite Tier 1 Web Hosting and Managed Services
    www.Cybercon.com
    Supreme Service - Flexible Pricing
    Advanced Hardware - Complete Security

Cybercon: From my research, it seems that either DBMail or Dovecot are the way to go to handle large mailboxes. I suspect Google uses database-driver email as well for Gmail and Google Apps.

Are you sure these days some hosts still use single disks? Seems incredible to me...

@Calande Dovecot is just a mailserver, it doesn't have anything to do with the backend I/O issues that Cybercon mentions above.

I'd say that a distributed database model such as the one Google uses is the way of handling large amount of data.

I think it has to do with disk I/O because of the way it's designed, from what I read on their web site. But a tailored application like Google's built from the ground with high speed, low resource usage, scalability and huge disk space usage in mind, you can't go wrong. But there's no open-source equivalent for the rest of us unless if you drop IMAP and POP, and store messages in a MySQL database to read using a webmail for instance

Re: IMAP email performance with large mail folders

I don't see how you haven't been able to find a host to provide good performance with large mailboxes while using IMAP. I regularly have IMAP folders many hundred megs in size, sometimes gigabytes with 1000's of messages. Never had much of a problem. I guess if you are on an overloaded system you may experience issues. The hit to I/O is relatively minor and depends more on your connection speed to the server. If you are trying to load a message with a large attachment, it could take a bit of time to load.

Were your issues related to just browsing your mail folders and loading small emails or when you viewed emails with large attachments?
    BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
    Build your own website powered by BannerOS with our DIY service.

I think it has to do with disk I/O because of the way it's designed, from what I read on their web site. But a tailored application like Google's built from the ground with high speed, low resource usage, scalability and huge disk space usage in mind, you can't go wrong. But there's no open-source equivalent for the rest of us unless if you drop IMAP and POP, and store messages in a MySQL database to read using a webmail for instance
    Dovecot is just another mailserver. I've used it myself and it works fine, however it has no affect on I/O performance. This is a whole separate topic.

Regarding the rest of us; using maildir-based services ("standard" nowadays), you can get quite good performance, unless the server itself is overloaded by too many users.

The effects you talk about is something that I remember seeing back in the day on mbox-based servers.

Quote Originally Posted by chenetwork View Post
    Were your issues related to just browsing your mail folders and loading small emails or when you viewed emails with large attachments?
    The issue is when browsing the mail folders and loading small emails.

When I view emails with large attachments it take some time as expected because it has to download the attachments.

Then choose to only download the headlines or x-kb of the message before downloading the whole thing?