Two RaQ questions...lil help?

K, here's the scoop. I have two RaQ4's and the other day I inherited a pair of RaQ2's and a Qube2.

I have created a RaQ4 restore image from an iso on Zeffie.com, for use on the RaQ2's and Qube 2, as I was positive that I read that the RaQ4 image works on the older ones. But as the older ones are MIPS, and the RaQ4's aren't, I didn't see this working, but I tried anyway.

I can get the OS restore disc to load, recognize my Intel Pro/100, light up, and be at the ready.

I can't get the 2's to go past "Net booting." I'm almost positive it's because I'm trying to restore with the RaQ4 iso. Can anybody confirm this? I'd prefer not to use the old image and have to patch EVERYTHING. If that's the case, I'll just wipe em and make some really cool firewalls or something and leave the hard work to the two RaQ4s.

Also, has anybody had any luck running Cobalt RaQ's with a Dynamic DNS provider such as DynDNS or No-IP? I've got one RaQ4 running BlueQuartz, configured a domain domain on it, and set it up on No-IP for testing purposes since I have Comcast cable. I even purchased their Mail Reflector and alternate-port SMTP. EVERYTHING works but getting mail in. It'll go wherever I tell it, got sendmail listening way the hell out there on a high-numbered port, which I programmed into no-ip. With mail reflector, any email sent to me passes through their mail servers and then is supposed to be delivered to me via the high numbered port I've configured...but I keep coming back with relay errors and/or authorization errors when I try to send email TO the cobalt, from anywhere. I'm pretty sure I've just missed something...if I watch maillog, I can see no-ip hitting the server but it doesn't come all the way through...my test mails to the server just seem to bounce back. Anyone ever worked on such a project before? I'm wondering if BlueQuartz has to be tweaked differently to properly function?

Almost appears like BlueQuartz doesn't like you screwing with it via the command line. I added a couple lines to sendmail.mc and after make -C and restarting, I can't add any more virtual accounts because of "email map file" error. Thankfully, this is just a test box so far.
    Last edited by Technolojesus; 01-28-2008 at 06:20 PM.
    | John Edel Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!

RaQ4 ISO on a RaQ2... not going to work. Use the RaQ2 ISO.

Yes I have seen people using DynDNS or No-IP and hosting at home. I don't like it but it works... just use a router that works with them and don't expect the RaQ to do it unless someone finally wrote some code to do the job, that we can build...

As far as the mail questions I would suggest you start a separate thread for that... but it sounds like config problems...

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll play with the RaQ 2 ISO's some more.
    Also, I don't intend to host "accounts" off the domains. Just going to put a spare domain on there and test around a little, I'm thinking of using one as an icecast server. Hosting with third party DNS kind of frightens me a little
    Last edited by Technolojesus; 01-29-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6PM View Post
    I'm thinking of using one as an icecast server.
    I tried to build icecast on my RaQ2 devel box ad it wants several things we don't have by default... one is libxml2 which I don't think will ever build correctly on the RaQ2 os...

I would have to try on the RaQ4, But I think it could be built... we have libxml2 already and it would just be a matter of building the other lib's required to find out...

Ya know, I gave it a shot over the weekend, icecast + RaQ2 w/ libxml2 was giving me angst the whole time.

eBay has some RaQ4's with no OS for $100. With the RaQ OS, what size drive could I fit in there?

Ya know, I gave it a shot over the weekend, icecast + RaQ2 w/ libxml2 was giving me angst the whole time.

eBay has some RaQ4's with no OS for $100. With the RaQ OS, what size drive could I fit in there?
    As I recall the hardware will only support 120 gig... I'm not sure at the moment if they can do more... I'm not at home...

You can only boot from a max 137Gb drive. There is evidence that you can use a larger drive in the second spot, but not for booting. Also, some people have had luck with SATA controllers in the PCI slot, but there are some questions about it as well -- this only works with CentOS (Strongbolt), as it requires a modern kernel.

These are the words of one of the top Cobalt Developers.

All Cobalt systems used LBA24 disk controllers. This means that the largest disks you can put into a Cobalt are approximately 137 GB. Even if you put LBA48 capable disks into your system, it will not work. In fact, putting LBA48 disks on an LBA24 controller may cause some kernel version not to boot at all (see 'My Cobalt hangs at "Partition check:"').

Galacnet claims success with > 137Gb drives. Ask him.

I have tried SATA drives to 500Gb with a 32-bit PCI SATA controller in the slot and it works with CentOS.

Did he say what cards can I put in my RaQ to add hard disk space??? (Thats a no)

Anyway... go tell the guy that made the kernel while working with the guy that made the board he's wrong!

His Cobalt page is here
    http://www.hockin.org/~thockin/cobalt-hack-faq.html

Good Luck with that!

anyway your point has nothing to do with standard operation and if you want to make a system that just can't process that bulk of data... go for it..

Most people want to know what they can use for a boot drive...

and that's as Tim said...

Here is where user Galacnet said he mounted a 160Gb disk. I have not tried it, because I've read Tim's FAQ as well.

Zeffie, if all you have to contribute are angry accusations, why keep turning up?

Quote Originally Posted by gnetwerker View Post

Zeffie, if all you have to contribute are angry accusations, why keep turning up?
    Because Your always mislleading people and giving bad advice to attack myself and my company just like you said you would and I help people...

[[email protected] /]# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda1 1.9G 700M 1.1G 40% /
    /dev/hda2 22G 74M 21G 1% /var
    /dev/hda5 1.9G 33M 1.8G 2% /tmp
    /dev/hda6 147G 93M 140G 1% /home
    none 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda6 22G 74M 21G 1% /var
    /dev/hdc1 147G 93M 140G 1% /home
    /dev/hda2 1.9G 74M 1.7G 5% /workbin

perhaps you can explain how he has to drives mounted on /home...

That's funny...

Heh, I haven't been in here for a few days, interesting turn my little topic has taken. :-D

I don't claim to be a RaQ expert, nor am I a *nix developer by any means, but wouldn't two drives with a /home crash the poor RaQ? It seems to me that one would need to be, for example /home2 or the like, to know where to go when someone calls up a site on that particular appliance.

I decided, since I couldn't sleep for some reason, that I would experiment on my own a little. I have an extra 160gb PATA drive that's been sitting in a static bag in case I have a head crash on my production Linux box. I removed the working 80 gig PATA from my current RaQ4, set it aside, and replaced it with the larger drive. At powerup, all I got was a blank LED. I couldn't even net boot the thing. So far it seems that Zeffie's info holds water. Keep everyone posted if somehow, some way, I manage to get anything larger to work in there...but I don't think I'm going to try *too* hard.

You can't have two drives mounted on /home. I have no idea where Zeffie got that -- for all I know he copied it wrong.

In any case, no one, not even Galacnet, thinks you can boot from a > 137Gb drive, and this is because of the system in the ROM, which still contains an old Linux 2.2 kernel. He claims (not me!) that you can add one as a second drive.

Thanks for trying, though. Maybe Galacnet will drop by and explain it for us. He's on this forum from time to time.

Alright everyone here was how I did it.

1) I installed Strongbolt on a single HDD. For example a 40GB.
    That will give me roughly /20~30GB mounted on the /home partion.

2) once it was done I loaded a second HDD to the second IDE connector.
    In this case it was a 160GB HDD.

3) I formatted the second HDD and then rewrote fstab to read the new HDD as a dummy partition /workbin and copied everything in the original /home to this /workbin.

3) After that was done, I emptied the original /home and copied everything from the original /var over preserving all permissions and ownership.

4) Once it was completed, I edited fstab once again.
    Changing the /workbin to /home
    Changing /home to /var
    Changing /var to /workbin
    The system will not detect this change unless I remount or reboot.

After rebooting :
    The system will see the second HDD as /home and also use the original /home as the /var.

This was done because DirectAdmin needed to load MySQL in the /var and using a small /var will get it filled up quite fast.

BUT of cource there can't be 2 drives mounted on a single partition.
    The thread zeffie pointed you to was my initial testings, you should read the actual tutorial I done :
    http://www.osoffice.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192
    Last edited by galacnet; 02-09-2008 at 03:45 AM.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

That makes more sense... thanks for clearing this up...