What kind of hosting do I need?

I'm almost done with the planning phase of my next project and one of the few things left is what kind of hosting I would need.

The site will be pretty much like a blog, however a common blog script would not perfectly fit. Therefor I'll write the script myself, so it'll probably not be very performance optimized.

I'm aiming for at least 1,000 visitors a day but don't want to get in trouble in case of a temporary burst. Each visitor is viewing 2-3 pages and about every 3rd page an image (chart) will be created based on db data. Furthermore I might set up a blog about that page and consider moving a few HTML only sites with low traffic to that host.

So, what to choose?

Thank you for your help!

calig,

It sounds quite small at least initially. 1,000 visitors a day is only 41 an hour, what's a couple of hits per minute? Any provider should suffice!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Hi,

Whta kind of blog platform do you intend to use? WordPress is the msot popular one but I think b2evolution is also pretty good. About hosting You can use any quality shared web host. Jsut make sure they will know you and will pay attention on you site development.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Dawhb,

As he noted in his original post, he's going to code his own.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Hey,
    Thats gonna be popular site! Yeah most packages will be able to handle that!

Kev

Therefor I'll write the script myself, so it'll probably not be very performance optimized.
    But might not be bloated to fit anyone's whim either.

In any case, it's an application. Consider paying close to $1 per GB of data transfer you'll be pushing with it. Shared hosting should be fine. You can go for hosting designed for applications, if performance is very important.

What kind of monthly hosting budget are you looking at?
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

I highly recommend that you use WordPress blog platform. It has a myriad themes and plug-ins that extend its functionalities. I believe you can get this for free in most shared hosting plans.

I think that yoг need shared web hosting (according your trafic needs) and you need web hosting wich support programming language you will have your software written.
    BTW what language you are going to write your aplication on?
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by calig View Post
    I'm almost done with the planning phase of my next project and one of the few things left is what kind of hosting I would need.

The site will be pretty much like a blog, however a common blog script would not perfectly fit. Therefor I'll write the script myself, so it'll probably not be very performance optimized.

I'm aiming for at least 1,000 visitors a day but don't want to get in trouble in case of a temporary burst. Each visitor is viewing 2-3 pages and about every 3rd page an image (chart) will be created based on db data. Furthermore I might set up a blog about that page and consider moving a few HTML only sites with low traffic to that host.

So, what to choose?

Thank you for your help!
    Which programing language are you using? PHP? ASP? .NET? How about the dtabase?

I'm using PHP and MySQL db.

So shared hosting should be fine to start with and one thing to keep an eye on when choosing the host might be the possibility to upgrade my account if needed.

Shared hosting may be enough for startup, and when your site grow up, you can upgrade the plan easily.