Thread: Web Design

Question Web Design

Hi,

Does anyone know if i have to register a company to be able to design websites and accept payments for them?

Thanks,
    Dan

Depending on your location, you probably do not need to register yourself if you're acting as a sole proprietor, though it would be wise to do so, since it would limit your liability.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I am living in the UK, please could you define what you mean by 'since it would limit your liability'

Thanks,
    Dan

I can't speak for UK rules - only for US, so I'm the wrong authority. But registering a business means you're keeping your personal finances, property, interests separate from your business. You run them separately, and by-and-large, they are taken into consideration separately. So, if your business accrues debt, a debtor could not issue a lien against your house - something like that.

Don't take this example as absolute truth, and I'm not a lawyer, but this is the idea behind limiting your liability.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

ok thanks for your help!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Do you mean like register yourself as self employed, or as a company within the UK in order to operate a business?

I think as long as you declared tax and NI on your earnings at the end of each financial year then you would be ok.
    I think you do still have to register as being self employed however.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/

Hope this helps

Liam

Quote Originally Posted by liam_tmt7 View Post
    Hi Dan,

Do you mean like register yourself as self employed, or as a company within the UK in order to operate a business?

I think as long as you declared tax and NI on your earnings at the end of each financial year then you would be ok.
    I think you do still have to register as being self employed however.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/

Hope this helps

Liam
    That pretty well sums it up.
    I'd add that in the UK, your business/personal 'account/liabilities' are only seperated if you form a limited Company.
    So as a 'sole trader' if you business has debts of 10,000, YOU have those debts.
    But a limited company is a seperate legal identity, in this case the 10,000 debts would belong to the company not you.
    In reality of course, the banks/tax man / big boys, always get there money.

Best just not to have any debts, liabilities.

Better still, get in the situation where you owe the tax man 10s of thousands each year, because that will mean your earning a lot.

Look a bit further round WHT and you'll find the 'running a business - section.

this depends on your location

In the states we have LLC's. Limited liability companys. You do not have to be a big business to start one you can be only one person. It gives you the benifits of a corperation with out the cons of one as well as less strict regulation.

I would seek out the closest form of this in UK.

You can even purchase the documents online at a website like http://www.legalzoom.com

the link shown above appears to something like an American DBA (Doing business As)