Being an Enom reseller

I have had an Enom reseller account through ModernDNS (part of Modernbill) for about five years now. Everything is fine but with Modernbill being in kind of a rough position now and the possibility that some day they may go out of business I wonder what will happen to my Enom account, domains and sub-resellers under me if anything were to happen to Modernbill?

After reading some MB threads I wondered about this as my Enom account is a huge part of my business and I am just wondering if MB goes out of business would there be any issues with ModernDNS being in the mix?

Smile

If you have a reseller account or subaccount - no matter who you signed up under - you can feel safe and secure that everything is backed by eNom.

It's occasionally happened over the years that an ETP will close their doors. eNom makes the transition pretty seamless to give their subaccount resellers their own direct access.

What exactly have you heard about ModernBill?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Domainer View Post
    What exactly have you heard about ModernBill?
    I have not heard much more of having dealt with them and seeing others going through the same thing they seem to be loosing a lot of the market they had at one time.

There is still a good chance they could smarten up and thrive again some day but most of the things I have seen lately have been negative.

So I have not really heard much just thought about it the other day and with a few hundred domains I was a bit worried at first.

Thank you for your help!

Without any actual evidence, we have to take your negative comments with a pinch of salt. All my experiences, as a user of ModernBill, have been good. They are not #1 in their business without reason.
    Signature Under Construction.

Hello,

This exact situation has happened to several of our resellers. (Well.. before they became our resellers, of course.)

If the parent reseller disappears, then here's what will/could happen. (This has been confirmed with eNom.)

1. Nothing. You continue to use your sub-account. No change. basically, as long as you don't need to ever contact your "parent".. then all is well.

2. Technically, the parent reseller owns your sub-account. Contrary to what many people think.. the parent account has FULL authority to change your sub-acount pricing. (If the parent can't do it themselves, then they simply can ask eNom to make the change.) If a parent account knows they are dying, they will sometimes change the prices on their sub-accounts and then try to sell them to someone. They do this to try and get more money, since it increases the value of the sub-accounts. (Especially since there are many of the old $6.95 sub-accounts, which bring only liability to the parent account and no revenue.. making them hard to include in a sale...)

3. If you contact eNom and ask to "move away" from your parent reseller, then eNom will try to contact the parent reseller. If the parent reseller has truly disappeared, then eNom will tell you to:

3.1) Open a new reseller account directly under them, and then "push" your domains into it. Your new account will have whatever pricing you sign up for. (ie: If you currently have a $6.95 account, then you will NOT get the same pricing unless you signup directly under enom, or buy another old account, etc...)

If you go with this option, then you will lose/abandon whatever money you have in your existing reseller account, plus your history, etc. (None of that can be transferred to a new reseller account.)

3.2) Depending on how many domains you have, you *might* be able to convince enom to allow you to keep your existing account, and pay whatever is needed to get your existing account upgraded to become an ETP account directly under eNom. Basically the same as 3.1, but you keep your same account. You would need a special exception from the enom VP of Business to be allowed to do this. (It's a manual job for them to "move" your account from one parent to another (enom).

I hope that helps to clarify what happens if the parent reseller disappears.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Thanks, MrZippy.

Well, I asked about your issue from one of my friends who has lots of domains with Enom, and he told me he had the same experience.
    His master reseller got out of business, and after he contacted Enom, everything got fine, and he is now without a master reseller(he is now neither a sub reseller of someone nor a sub reseller of Enom itself)
    So, be sure that your domains and sub resellers are safe

I think your friend is probably paying higher prices to eNom than he was enjoying as a sub-account. He should check his pricing out.

I asked him about his pricing and he said Enom gave him the same prices that he had.
    He said that he didn't pay anything for this pricing.

just a question, why everyone go with enom? although I have an enom reseller account, but why people don't go to DirectI? their prices are cheaper, and they provide a website system for free too!

because enom works. and probably the biggest.

ever thought of onlinenic.com? they're cheaper than enom
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Because Directi's DNS servers can go down for a week at a time. Because Directi's Control Panel is awful. Because eNom's Control Panel is excellent. Because eNom are the biggest domain reseller network.

How much are onlinenic? eNom are only $7.45.

onlinenic.com is the worst domain provider I know(self-experience)
    I didn't have reseller account of onlinenic, but I had some domains with them.
    Problems:
    -Very poor control panel. No options.
    -Very poor quality.
    -I remember their server got more than one or two weeks down one time.
    -Your admin can take your domain for himself.(for example if you register a great domain and work on it, and your domain get expensive, your admin(the one that sold you the domain) can easily take the domain and even sell it !!)
    -DNS change speed is really slow, can take even 48 hours(while when you change your DNS on enom, it only takes one or two minutes or even less)

But, what I know is that onlinenic is really cheap.
    I saw many websites selling domains from them about $6. And I'm wondering if they sell it $6, how much they themselves pay for it!
    Is there anyway to get onlinenic reseller for free? or anyone have any details on their prices?

With domain names being a money losing thing now why would people pay 7000.00 or so to be an ETP?

Pretty much what mrzippy said

If your "upstream" provider vanishes, as long as things are working, little will change. You obviously arent going to get any support from them if they've gone t!tsup.com, so in the event of you needing assistance, you have two options:

* get another sub-account from an ETP and push all your domains

You do have to watch out for unscrupulous higher level accounts just increasing your prices to inflate their pockets or their apparant business worth - one of the registration companies I evaluated for acquisition recently had about 200 sub accounts *supposedly* all paying $12.95 for domains, which made it attractive. However investiagtion led to finding these people had been on 8.95 (which became 9.45 after the ICANN price hike) accounts, and had simply had their prices increased with no consultation/warning/notice to make the company look more profitable.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by dale5454 View Post
    With domain names being a money losing thing now why would people pay 7000.00 or so to be an ETP?
    You can buy an old $7.45 account in the secondary market for about $200-250

You dont *pay* $7000 to be an ETP, you *deposit* 7000 against domain registration fees - i.e. the money is there to spend, as opposed to being a fee that you lose (they do have a fee based model for those without the financial backing needed as well)

Why would peple lay down 7k for domains - becuse they're going to register/manage/renew 1000+ of them ? because they want the control of using the API and getting suport direct ? etc
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

$7k is almost 100 domains a month at the $6.42 price enom pays to register them and sell them to you.

Is that enough volume to get ok'd by ICANN and sign up with Verisign (who would require an estimated year's worth of registration as deposit) as a registrar yourself?

I'm guessing you'd have to do more volume than that, but curious just the same...
    Last edited by Sampdoria; 02-11-2008 at 11:58 PM.

$6995 @ $7.45 per domain = 939 domains
    $7.45 - $6.42 = $1.03 difference

939 * $1.03 = $967.17

Being ICANN accredited and go directly with Verisign would save you therefore less than $1000. To make the accreditation worth (therefore cheaper) you need to have this volume per month and not per year.

To make the ICANN accreditation cheaper from a purely financial point, you ideally should be handling at least 15,000 com/org/net/biz/info registrations/renewals per year.

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    To make the ICANN accreditation cheaper from a purely financial point, you ideally should be handling at least 15,000 com/org/net/biz/info registrations/renewals per year.
    Yes, you need quite a high volume, there are not just the fees, there is also the whole development work for the registry connections and the system needs to be ICANN confirm (and they come up with more and more rules).

Interesting is that out of the around 1000 ICANN accredited registrars not even 200 manage more than 15'000 domains.

Quote Originally Posted by rony View Post
    Interesting is that out of the around 1000 ICANN accredited registrars not even 200 manage more than 15'000 domains.
    From what I understand (going through the accreditation procedures at the moment) - some are just ICANN members rather than acrreditted domain sellers, and quite a few are only involved because of a "business requirement" to the zone files (domaining, dropcatching, spamming etc) rather than as a price reduction factor.

Theree are about 150 "active" registrars

How are domains a money losing thing??

We have around 2000 domains and make a bit of extra cash each year for zero effort on our part.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Anyone knows about onlinenic prcings? and how can get a free or very cheap reseller ?
    because I've heard they are on of the cheapest...

Isn't enom too expensive and low profit for resellers?
    JKookServ.com
    Master Reseller | cPanel | Webhosting | WHM CPanel |

Quote Originally Posted by jkookserv View Post
    Isn't enom too expensive
    No.

and low profit
    Profit is the difference between what you charge a client for something and what it costs you to provide that something in both direct (the reg fee) and indirect (the card processing, staff cost, software licences etc) costs. The amount of profit is entirely dependant in what you want it to be.

Isn't enom too expensive and low profit for resellers?
    No. We make (on average) about $2 to $10, depending on which of our websites our customer purchases the domain from.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

But sometimes godaddy is cheaper than other domain resellers if you use godaddy coupon code.
    Godaddy doesn't have good integration with hosting resellers though
    JKookServ.com
    Master Reseller | cPanel | Webhosting | WHM CPanel |