Apachetop or other 'live' monitoring of apache

What's the best way to monitor apache in as close to a live manner as possible. I am hoping to get something similar to Top that would show the current number connections, maybe the URL being hit and other stats of that nature.

I know I can use mod_status (either via WHM Apache Status) or outside of it, but that has to be constantly refreshed (manually or automatically) and creates GET /whm-server-status?refresh=60 HTTP/1.1 entries that kind of skew the stats, depending on how often you refresh.

Is apachetop a solid choice? Any downsides?

Is there a better tool to have a 'live' view of apache's activities?

Thanks

Apachetop works only if you need to monitor one virtual host or only have one access log file. I like apachetop better than mod_status as it can sort by hit and transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by flashwebhost View Post
    Apachetop works only if you need to monitor one virtual host or only have one access log file. I like apachetop better than mod_status as it can sort by hit and transfer.
    I'm only trying to monitor one.

This might not even be the best tool for me. What I have is a vbulletin message board, and I am trying to get a better view of current activity then just the vbulletin "active members" stats, which are based on long cookie timeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by flashwebhost View Post
    Also, can you point me to someplace with up to date install info. I know I need to install some packages before apachetop, and then where do I get the latest apachetop.

I am on a VPS running Centos 4/WHM

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Also, can you point me to someplace with up to date install info. I know I need to install some packages before apachetop, and then where do I get the latest apachetop.

I am on a VPS running Centos 4/WHM
    Ok, doen't seem like you can edit posts here. Anyway, I think I found the latest version to go along with these instructions found in an earlier thread.

I updated these with what I think are the latest version.

Pre-requisites:
    yum install ncurses-devel
    yum install readline-devel

Actual Install
    wget http://www.webta.org/apachetop/apachetop-0.12.6.tar.gz
    tar xvzf apachetop-0.12.5.tar.gz
    cd apachetop*
    ./configure ---with-logfile=/path/to/logfile
    make
    make install
    Now, I am just trying to figure out how to properly use, it, which options to run with it.

Ok, my question continues. I first attempted to point it at the access_log and realized that the domain hits don't go in there.

Now, when I point it at /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myacctname/mydomain.com nothing happens. The domain log in domlogs is 64 MB, would that cause a problem?

Also, there appears to be a duplicate of each domains logs in /domlogs and /domlogs/myacctname

I have tried reconfiguring/installing with /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myacctname/mydomain.com as the path, and running apachetop -f /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myacctname/mydomain.com

In both cases, apachetop returns no stats, but the domlog is growing.

For anyone else trying to do this, I had a couple typos in the above install instructions. These are corrected:

Pre-requisites:
    yum install ncurses-devel
    yum install readline-devel

Actual Install
    wget http://www.webta.org/apachetop/apachetop-0.12.6.tar.gz
    tar xvzf apachetop-0.12.6.tar.gz
    cd apachetop*
    ./configure --with-logfile=/path/to/logfile
    make
    make install