Why all O-BSD SH High Cost

Hi....

Why all OpenBSD shared hosting providers offer high price, suck as bsws.de bizintegrators.com etc..

Perhaps anybody here can give me some logical explanation?

not many people use openbsd, i'm guessing.
    semi-retired

More then likely because it's a pain to be keeping up to date in a live environment in my experience i.e. No easy upgrade path between versions, so it takes a lot more staff time to maintain, thus higher cost.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

We are using FreeBSD and I find it easier to upgrade than Linux. Few days ago we upgrade one of our servers from freebsd 6.2 to 6.3 without any issues. We are going to upgrade all our servers to 6.3 in May.

I'd say that one factor is that you'll find less technicians specialized in setting up, maintaining and over all working with *BSD servers.

We switch from Slackware to FreeBSD 1 year ago and we never return to linux. Maintaining a FreeBSD server is always a pleasure :-)

Could it be that most *bsd hosts are serious about providing good service, so don't offer the sort of unrealistic prices you want?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    We switch from Slackware to FreeBSD 1 year ago and we never return to linux. Maintaining a FreeBSD server is always a pleasure :-)
    Well, you were running Slackware

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I'd say that one factor is that you'll find less technicians specialized in setting up, maintaining and over all working with *BSD servers.
    this isn't true once you hit IRC - almost no one uses linux, all *bsd.
    semi-retired

Number of webhosts > Number of shell providers

@Cretaforce You're right.

I'd also think (speculation) that BSD-technicians knows how to bill for their services