Thread: Change Server

Change Server

Dear Freands

i have a dedicated server

CPU : Pentum D 2.6
    HDD : 2 Hard 1 : data 2 : backup of whm
    and i have near 400 Domains on this server

Now , i want to change server to Dual Xeon , in same datacenter

i don`t like restore backup and made any settings and .... so i want to shift my Hard Drives to NEW server , is it possible ? can i shift my hard drives ?

i am affraid , maybe i can`t use this hard drive on another CPU and hardware

please explain me , what will happen

Thanks
    jestin

I do not think you can, you may get kernel panic due to the different hardware. Just get them to help you do the migration, ask how much they charge first.

There shouldn't be any problems in switching your hard drives to a new faster machine. Just make sure the new machine can support your hard-drives, your server provider should be able to tell you.

Sorry , i didn`t get you correctly , please explain me

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan View Post
    I do not think you can, you may get kernel panic due to the different hardware. Just get them to help you do the migration, ask how much they charge first.

sure ?

did you try that ? and are u sure about this ?

may i have your yahoo messenger or MSN messenger user name ?

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    There shouldn't be any problems in switching your hard drives to a new faster machine. Just make sure the new machine can support your hard-drives, your server provider should be able to tell you.

Like I said, your best bet is to ask for advice to the people you're buying the dedicated server from, they will be able to tell you since they know what hardware your PC has and probably have done it before.

you need to reinstall it, but you an add drive as secondary and move across.

It may work, but it probably won't. The reason being is that your current OS install will not have all of the needed system drivers to make it work with the new system - Different chipsets etc. What you can probably do though, is move them over, then do a rescue install of the OS, which should get things working for you, although there is a chance that it *may* break some installed software. All in all, it's probably easier to just migrate your data to a new server with new drives.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Most importantly, you would need the two motherboards to have the same south bridge controller chipset. Which going from a P4 to a Xeon probably won't, and when the hard drives are swapped the new server would kernel panic.

I would see if the DC would setup both machines in parallel so you can do a live migration.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co