Dentist Wait Time?

I just got some cavities filled about a week ago. They booked me for a follow-up in June, the earliest opening. By chance of scheduling, I'd had a cleaning/evaluation about a week before.

Is it normal to have to wait 6 months to see the dentist?

My back-most (?) tooth has been someone sensitive there. I just noticed that there's a slit in the top, right near the gumline. I can stick my fingernail in it. How did they miss this?! It seems to an enormous cavity.

It's really not that painful right now, and despite apparently having a gaping hole in the side (top) of my tooth, I really do take pretty good care of them. Is this pressing? Should I call up and try to set up an 'emergency' visit sooner?

Or should I find a new dentist?

The average wait at our dentist is 3 months. However, if you call them and tell them that you're having any kind of pain, they will squeeze you in within a week.

Call your dentist and tell them it hurts. If they won't get you in sooner, find a new dentist.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

3 months? 6 months?! I usual schedule ahead for routine checkups for 6 months, but if I have some kind of tooth pain or even if I schedule for just a cleaning they can usually get me in within 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    3 months? 6 months?! I usual schedule ahead for routine checkups for 6 months, but if I have some kind of tooth pain or even if I schedule for just a cleaning they can usually get me in within 2 weeks.
    Lucky you.

Do you live in a small town or large city?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    Lucky you.

Do you live in a small town or large city?

--Tina
    Technically I live in a 1 square mile town of 3,000 people (Fairport, Ohio). Not really too big, but not rural. Directly south of me there's a town of 17,000 (Painesville, Ohio), which is where my dentist is, and to the west there's a city of 50,000 (Mentor, Ohio).

Now that you know the geography of North East Ohio, and could probably track me down (there's only 1 Wendy's around here...) you should feel very enlightened.

I dont know what kind of dentists you go to, but ive been to a few dentists here, and ive never had to wait more then a few days.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Try registering with an NHS dentist in the UK, if you can find one that is.

I had a tooth that collapsed, I mean literally, and was in quite a bit of pain, imagine a redhot poker in your gum, and it still took me 4 months to get an NHS dentist to see me.

Before you ask I refuse to go to a private dentist as it would cost me 30 per consultation, 15 per x-ray and 120 for the extraction. In my case it would have been:
    1. Initial Consultation - 30 - 3 months after contact
    2. Follow Up with X-Ray - 45 - 3 weeks later, almost 4 months after initial contact
    3. Extraction - 150 - 3 weeks later, 4.5 months after initial contact
    4. Follow up with second X-Ray - 45 - 2 weeks later, 5 months after initial contact
    Paul

Paul

I had a tooth break on me on Jan 1st. I hadn't been to my dentist in about 3 years, find out they don't take my insurance anymore.

On Jan 2 I setup an appointment with a dentist one of the guys at work really likes. The earliest I could get in was Jan 17 and then the guy would only do a cleaning and x-rays. I have an appointment for the 29th to have the tooth cut and measured for a crown.

Thinking about it now, its probably for me that I dont go back to the old dentist place. The tooth that broke they did a root canal on back in 2004. Instead of putting a crown on the guy just filled it which is why it broke.

To fill the hole temporarily I would recommend stopping at your local pharmacy and picking up some Refilit. If it wasn't for that stuff I wouldn't be able to eat.

I love living in The Netherlands after reading this. It's freakin expensive to get additional dental insurance, but at least you're always helped within the month.

It's also free, to a limit of 750 € yearly I thought.
    hi there!

My dentist has about a six month waiting list... although, I normally call and say hey it is me... I'll take the next appointment that cancels. Been doing this for about four years and each year they call me within five days.

Normally I have a window of about two to three hours to make it to the office. I have never failed to make it... working from home has its advantages.

I do a yearly cleaning along with a yearly medical checkup.

OP: I would call and say you need to see the dentist and explain the situation... I'd bet they would get you in asap... oddly enough, the time it took you to start this post, you could have called them. But if they missed something that big in your mouth, I don't know if I'd want to go back... maybe check around for another dentist. Make sure you get a copy of your records from the other dentist though... your new dentist will want to see those to see what work was completed, etc.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

6 months wait? That is crazy...gonna need dentures by then.

I *hate* dentists..... but when I need to go, I can always get in within a day or two at the most. If I had to wait, I would go crazy.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet