Thread: dreamhost

dreamhost

Im sure this has been discussed thoroughly in these forums, but does anyone mind shining some light on this company? Any complaints or praises?

Anyone have any experience with Site Ground also?
      0 Not allowed!

Dreamhost... my experience = awesome overall, but a little bit of lag in MySQL.

0 Not allowed!

Did you try using the "Search" link above???

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.
      0 Not allowed!

Dream Host tends to get a number of good reviews, but using the search feature as suggested will help you the most in determining if they are the right host for you .
    Brett Meadors
      0 Not allowed!

I'm a happy DH customer
    They have tons of features, tons of space and bw, very good uptime, they're affordable.
      0 Not allowed!

dreamhost is a nightmare for me . i host a site with them and the site never load without the cache enabled even if there is only one visitor. its always give me internal server error thats because i have 400MB mysql . so dreamhost is only for small sites. i highly don't recommend to go with dreamhost. also the support is useless
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by spedig311 View Post
    Im sure this has been discussed thoroughly in these forums, but does anyone mind shining some light on this company? Any complaints or praises?

The main problem with DreamHost is that they oversell like crazy so the servers tend to be really slow (high load), or even down quite often.
    I'm one of many who moved to WebFaction and I don't regret it: they provide a similar service, but they don't give as much diskspace (which you don't need anyway) and they put a lot less people on each server. In my experience their servers are a lot faster and more stable than DreamHost's.
      0 Not allowed!

very good uptime
    Perhaps a figure would let each potential customer judge on his own if his needs would be met.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dwrunyon View Post
    Dreamhost... my experience = awesome overall, but a little bit of lag in MySQL.
    this.

everything is perfect. load on my server (multiple opteron) never goes past 1.00.

as long as you're not, like, running a massive thousand user forum, you won't see much of a problem.
    semi-retired
      0 Not allowed!

Same here. I have personally been a customer for 3 yrs. Dreamhost has always been friendly and the service has been top notch. My server has a very low load and my site keeps a 99.9+% uptime. Love their web panel and full shell access.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com
      0 Not allowed!

Their web panel is a big plus also, it has everything in one place.
      0 Not allowed!

I am a Dreamhost-userm and I am overall happy with their services, though I wouldn't use Dreamhost for anything business critical.
      0 Not allowed!

Have you already checked out their uptime stats at WebHostingStuff.com and customer reviews at HostSearch.com ?
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw Networks View Post
    Have you already checked out their uptime stats at WebHostingStuff.com and customer reviews at HostSearch.com ?
    Neither of those sites look trustworthy. WebHostingStuff shows Dreamhost to have 99.99 percent uptime... that's just BS.

Hey, wow... I just noticed that you are among the many hosts who were ALL awarded the "fastest growing" award! Congrats to all of you for somehow getting the SAME award!

Sorry, but BS is just too plentiful and needs combating.

0 Not allowed!

Is it too good to be true?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by wthosting View Post
    Is it too good to be true?
    No, but it is pretty danged good if the positives and negatives balance within your needs. The only way to know for sure is to give it a try and see for yourself... that's what money back guarantees are for.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    Did you try using the "Search" link above???

Bailey
    ...if people did that, we wouldn't have forums, because people could find the answers to their questions without asking someone else...

0 Not allowed!

I had a good experience with them, and will be moving back after finding local Australian servers don't offer much benefit.

When I moved hosts there email tick system was very helpful at helping me move the sites to my new server.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by amckern View Post
    I had a good experience with them, and will be moving back after finding local Australian servers don't offer much benefit.

When I moved hosts there email tick system was very helpful at helping me move the sites to my new server.
    You'll get better connectivity if the connection is on the same continent.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    You'll get better connectivity if the connection is on the same continent.
    I can testify to that, speeds from Chicago (where you are Mike ) and to Dreamhost's DC the speed can go up to 8Mbit/sec, to Sweden you can be lucky if it reaches 1 Mbit/sec (most often around 300-400 kbit/sec), and this is using a "good provider.
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

I've been with dreamhost for about 18 months and have had a great experience so far. The only issues I've had were resolved within 24 hours and the price can't be beaten.
      0 Not allowed!

If you go on WebHostingStuff.com, and click Advertise With Us, I think that answers your questions if there "trustworthy" or not. LOL
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by spedig311 View Post

I think 1and1 more better than dreamhost in a bunch aspects suck as backup, uptime, price and much more.
      0 Not allowed!

If you go on WebHostingStuff.com, and click Advertise With Us, I think that answers your questions if there "trustworthy" or not. LOL
    What part from that page helps you judge their trustworthiness? Selling advertising and does not imply anything shady. Sure, there's a lot to be learned about that site, but I don't see anything revealing on that particular part of their site.
      0 Not allowed!

That's how they pick the rating I read somewhere, the advertisement link. But they may not be the company... Sorry... I will look once I get a chance though...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by melanjo View Post
    I think 1and1 more better than dreamhost in a bunch aspects suck as backup, uptime, price and much more.
    You're not serious, are you?!
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, right
      0 Not allowed!

dreamhost is not good at all. They had a huge billing error a few weaks ago and don't offer phone support. They are not close to being the best out there
    IPOWERWEB, My Web Hosting Provider for OVER Four Years - IPOWERWEB
      0 Not allowed!

You don't judge a company based on just that. It's not as if billing issues happened everyday. Personally I don't like phone support. I prefer either email or instant chat.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SEOKing View Post
    dreamhost is not good at all.
    Says the man who's hosting company is owned by Endurance, who is known as The Borg of web hosting because they buy out, take over and ruin good web hosts.

0 Not allowed!

Im yet to have a problem since the switch, especially no billing problems. Some hosting companies may not be for everyone. I know that Dreamhost did have a horrible billing issue and seems to not be taking it to serirously and if you don't believe me visit their blog.

Everyone is looking for different things in a host and I know dreamhost is not right for me. No need to take it personal dwrunyon - relax go do something better with your life.
    IPOWERWEB, My Web Hosting Provider for OVER Four Years - IPOWERWEB
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    You're not serious, are you?!
    i am really serious, one of my site hosted on there for 2 years, and never get trouble, in other world, everything is ok
      0 Not allowed!

i am really serious, one of my site hosted on there for 2 years, and never get trouble, in other world, everything is ok
    I would concur with melanjo on this...

1and1 isn't really all that bad... I used them off-and-on for close to three years. I don't think I ever had any downtime. Server response was great. The control panel - not so much. It works, but I'm really more of a cPanel kind of guy.

In the past, 1and1 earned a very bad reputation for support, billing, and making it very difficult to terminate service with them. For the most part, this has changed for the better.

I rarely need support. In 10 years of hosting websites, I've needed to contact support maybe three times (at any web host). Two of those times were at 1and1. On the first occasion, about three years ago, it took them close to 2 days to respond. On the more recent occasion, about 6 months ago, it took about 90 minutes.

Twice I have canceled my account with them for various reasons. In the past, that process involved a complicated series of instructions, including online-clicking and offline faxing of forms. This is no longer the case. Now it's done all online, and in a matter of minutes.

Likewise, just last month I transfered 8 domains from 1and1 to NameCheap. No issues there.

I actually still have an account with them, although I am migrating all of my websites to HostGator (who I have also used in the past). I still have 2 more to go (out of 15). My only reason for leaving 1and1 is the 100MB limitation for each MySQL database. I have a couple that are approaching that limit.

Along those lines... I also wholeheartedly recommend HostGator as an alternative. Similar pricing, excellent support, quick servers, cPanel and no MySQL limitations.

Back to the original topic though - I have used Dreamhost as well. It was in early-mid 2007, so I'm not sure how they are today, but at the time I found all of my sites to be VERY slow, especially any using MySQL. From what I've seen around here, things haven't changed much.
    ~ "Hello, my name is Tom, and I'm a web hosting addict..." ~
    A couple of my most recent addictions include:
    Blog About Nothing - No, really...
    Death Etc. - Bringing The Macabre To Life
      0 Not allowed!

Dreamhost do have good backup procedures where they store the users' data in snapshots. I don't know regarding the details of 1 and 1 (as they don't seem to be very open with how they operate), though as to when it comes to Dreamhost I can say that you don't know what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Henrik; 02-07-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
      0 Not allowed!

Dreamhost gives you 7-8 snapshot backups for your files, and the a dozen of snapshots for your databases. Recently they give 500 GB space/plan and I think that's the reason they continously get filer problems.

I'm on the blingy cluster (I think they have about 100 servers in a cluster), which has 13 TB of disk storage but in this month 3 or 4 times there is no space available when I create cache file That I don't count many recent server/network outages.

Just don't know why they allow 500 GB per plan, so that with only a few accounts you can fill up the filer. I think 10 GB per plan is more than enough.

Unhappy now.
      0 Not allowed!

Same for me. Sometimes I'm unable to upload because the file system is full and I have to wait.
      0 Not allowed!