Bad Banwidth Ouput

Hello!

My servers are at Softlayer, and they consequently have a very good quality bandwidth.

However, as soon as my server's having a lot of users, our videos gets very saturated and take SO long to load!!!!!!!

I've checked the graph, it's very far from it's max (its peaking at 30 megs while the max is 100 mb)

I have ordered an upgrade to 1GB/s. But do you think this won't fix the problem?

Is there something to widen the maximum bandwidth each user can suck or something?

Thanks!

I'm not an expert in these matters but are you sure the bandwidth is the issue and not something like the file IO? What are you loads like?

*edit* Sneaky Chris_M posting before me...
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

What type of server software are you using? Is it configured properly? What do you mean by "lots of users"?

Apache, for example, tends to be a poor choice for serving large amounts of static content (such as large video files). Using a lighter webserver (ex: lighttpd) can result in drastically better performance.

Is this burstable bandwidth or dedicated?
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

As asked earlier, if you provide us with info regarding how many concurrent users you have and a estimate on how large the files are it would be easier to give you a suggestion. If you're on a shared 100mbit that may be the issue for you. 30mbit on a fairly new system shouldn't be an issue (except for a very high number of users if you use apache).
    -Mr Bister

hi, day-1 new server, i have the same exact problem with the machine, it's dual core opteron, windows 2003, for me it is live telecast, so disk I/O is not even covered, streaming server is helix server. it appears as bandwidth hickups. i have a remote snmp prtg graph utility all defaults, shows intermittent white space in graph showing at that point it was not able to poll the server.

iam sure the bandwidth is good, but did not expect such a performance. thinking , some thing to do with the nic, it is set to 100 full manual

iam gonna do some testing and let you know