Simple website to collect links.

I am looking to make a website that does this:

-Visitor enters a link and selects a category the link should belong to (categories put in by me).
    -The link comes to me for approval.
    -I approve the link, and it shows up on the main page under the category the user selected (only the categories shown on main page).

I am somewhat a n00b at this, but I do understand the basics (client, host, bandwidth, upload, download). If somone could give point me to the right direction for achieving the above on a website, that would be great. Or maybe give steps on how to do the above...I do have a domain and hosting provider at the moment.

Thanks.
    Last edited by energon; 01-27-2008 at 10:42 AM.

An easy way

You have a form on your site for input of the url and category. That form info is sent to you via email and also to a database with fields for url - category - active with active by default being set to no. You receive the email informing you of a new submitted url, you check out the link and if approving change the NO to a YES in the database... your html page that displays the category and urls queries the database and displays only those urls that are YES in the active field.

You could also just have the form info sent to you via email and you manually update the page containing the urls... this however, could get quite tedious.

Hope that helps

try joomla it is good for administration and look on hotscripts

Alright, so this is something that is pretty much manually done? There wouldn't be something "premade" for it or something maybe I could modify?

There might be something premade... have you searched for anything via google?
    In my first example the only "manual" thing required is approving the url. Even with a "premade" solution you still have to approve the url - whether by selecting a form field to approve it or by manually modifying the database. Does that make sense to you?

Sounds like any link directory script should take care of what you want. phpLD is pretty popular for such things:

http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Makes sense. By manual I meant the making of the website code for one to accomplish this, not the approval process.

I am looking at google right now, found a few form generators like formfields.com, but they require their own library.
    Last edited by energon; 01-27-2008 at 02:00 PM.

I didn't think it was that great, but thanks for the complement...most bookmark websites already do it, I was just looking for something really simple to have on a site with some admin control.
    Last edited by energon; 01-27-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Any comments on dollar's suggestion which was something I could've suggested myself? You got to give feedback to people trying to help you
    My woman left me..
    I've got no website..
    I've got no money..

Sorry, yes, I saw that. I was looking for a free solution, since I am not sure what to expect. Just try something free first, then move on to paid solutions.

Did you realize phpLD has a free version too?
    The download is on the left side of the homepage.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    Easy Profitable 1000s of Sites us phpLD
    Hosts We Recommend for Users of Our Software

No, I missed that. Alright, I'll give phpLD a shot...Although I was looking for something really simple, I have to start somewhere.
    One simple one I found that I liked was this one:

http://www.chipmunk-scripts.com/FFAL/index.php

But its missing subcategories and there doesn't seem to be an admin control for the links submitted.

Thanks.

You may want to try cpLinks/cpDynaLinks. It doesn't look too complicated to me.
    More free scripts:
    - IndexScript
    - Free PHP Directory Script
    - Free Directory Script
    My woman left me..
    I've got no website..
    I've got no money..

thx. I am trying out phpld..its pretty good. One thing I am trying to figure out is how to change the submit fields...there are just too many requirements. I just want to have a "Title", "URL", "Category" and "Enter code shown". I don't want a visitor to submit their email address, name, etc, etc.

15. You can do that through the html editing. It's not terribly difficult

Quote Originally Posted by energon View Post
    thx. I am trying out phpld..its pretty good. One thing I am trying to figure out is how to change the submit fields...there are just too many requirements. I just want to have a "Title", "URL", "Category" and "Enter code shown". I don't want a visitor to submit their email address, name, etc, etc.
    Yea, and feel free to get help in our supporters forum. This does sound pretty easy.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    Easy Profitable 1000s of Sites us phpLD
    Hosts We Recommend for Users of Our Software