Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Virus Protection

We always hear the zealots for each and every virus protection outfit out there, but I am still quite curious as to what each person uses and what works for them in their every day schedule.

What virus protection do you use, and what do you recommend?

(No, I am not trying to find any virus protection myself. I am just curious to what others use.)

I myself use NOD32.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

I personally use NOD32 on my desktop and laptop.

However for local businesses we deal with, we deploy Symantec Corporate Antivirus.
    Chris Imrie
    Freelance Consultant

ClamAV on server and ClamAV on my linux desktop. My wife uses AVG free on her windows desktop. We both use CommonSense 1.0. Neither one of us ever got virus. For client networks I use CalmAV on server, and AVG Anti-Virus Pro on desktops.

AVG on my laptop and McAfee Enterprise on desktop.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

AVG Free's worked fine for me over the years. I've stayed away from anything Norton, all I've heard about that stuff since around 2000 is horror/bloat stories.

I have used Norton Anti Virus for about hmmm 9 years, but it has its problems. It has crashed on me a couple times and it takes the lion's share of resources.
    Shawn Bray
    Pinellas Hosting - www.pinellashosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Collocation | Webhosting | Data Backup | Domain Registration

nod32.
    /thread
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

Kaspersky on my laptop, NOD32 on the desktop, Symantec Endpoint at work.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

What virus protection do you use, and what do you recommend?
    My pick for best virus protection.

For my computer? McAfee Enterprise and Sygate.

(hey, absolutely nowhere in the OP does it specify this is about computers )
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I think the best virus protection is an informed user running a "user" account rather than an "admin" account, regardless of what OS they are using.

On Win2k3 and XP I use: regular user account + Clamwin + Sandboxie/Opera (with Clamwin doing a full scan nightly while I'm asleep and emailing me if it finds something)

On Vista I use UAC + Clamwin + Windows Defender + IE Protected Mode (with Clamwin + WD doing a full scan nightly while I'm asleep and Clamwin emailing me if it finds something)

~2003 I got a "drive-by" install of some malware, I had been using a XP box as admin with Norton Internet Security with both Windows fully up to date and NIS fully up to date. It didn't protect me. I reinstalled and have been running regular user accounts ever since. No worries.

For customer computers: regular user + Opera + Windows Defender + Clamwin, with Clamwin scanning nightly and emailing me in the event that it finds something and Operas phishing filter turned on. I instruct the customers how to use runas if they need to install something as Administrator and to religiously right click and scan things that they download. This method seems to work well.

For "checkups" I keep rootkit revealer, procxp, hijack this, ice sword and a full complement of updates on a pen drive.

I use AVG Free on all my computers. I haven't had a virus ever that I can recall, so I guess it's really all I need.

AVG, used o use norton way back in the day... then it expired
    Bryan

I have used Norton for about 3 years before Vista came out. Then I realized I needed something that would save my memory and would be effective so I switched to Nod32 and to this day I still love it .
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

AVG free for me, never had any major problems.

I had AVG free but now I am trying out Avast Free.

F-prot AV for server, desktop and laptop. Windows defender for spyware.

at work, i have no AV at all and yet never got infected and i download many different program from trusted source.

i think we have TrendMicro acting as AV filter on the network level. However, i was told that firewall can filter out most virus/spyware.

I'm going to ask the IT manager tomrrow and see what kind of setup he did that got us virus free.

I'm in love with Panda Internet Security 2008
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()

zonealarm security suite is the best period.

Quote Originally Posted by wthosting View Post
    zonealarm security suite is the best period.
    Not after that last version they shipped... heck, I had to do registry hacks to get it off my computer. Outlook went from running just fine to crawling due to the way they hook into email (and not warn users or provide them with a choice).

Zonealarm is the best at making your computer a major disaster.

I use avg with a comodo as the firewall...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I use Avast. I would never, ever, ever go back to Norton.

I am trying out Comodo's new free (personal and commercial use)offering (beta2) and it seems quite good so far. Very light on resources too.

Kaspersky.

I never had a trouble with it.

NOD32 for several years.

None at the moment, but if I get around to building that new PC, I'll put in ClamAV to do my part to stop the spread of silly windows viruses. ;P

AVG rocks... never gives me any problems. I also like that it only warns me when my computer is ACTUALLY HAVING A PROBLEM, rather than freaking out just because I added something to my favorites list or installed some new program. I bought my laptop about 7 months ago, and AVG has effectively detected and removed one virus since then.

Another vote for Avast

I had Norton AV when it was earlier and not so bloated. Then AVG, but I really like the new Avast! 4.7 program. So much easier to configure in scans, etc.
    Also I like to use Win Patrol v 14 for watching things going on in the Windows world , spyware, keyloggers etc.
    "I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it!"

Vern
    http://vernsdidj.com didgeridoo stuff

I have NOD32 in my desktop and NAV 2005 in my laptop. As others have noted, Norton is a resource hog and NOD32 is not. So far I haven't gotten any virus infections. Some years ago I got some incoming email virus attachments that NAV 2002 successfully quarantined. My NOD32 hasn't had its effectiveness tested yet. I'll probably keep renewing my NAV2005 update subscription because of Norton's past proven effectiveness. Probably at some point they'll tell me that it no longer supports Live Update, just as they did with my NAV 2002. When that happens I'll probably replace it with NOD32 on the laptop. Newer versions of Norton have tended to get more cumbersome. That can be tolerable on a new computer, but it's horribly slow on a computer that is several years older than the NAV version.
    NAV tries to protect you in a bunch of ways, and sometimes too much. If I want to access an ftp site with the computer that has NAV 2005, I have to temporarily disable worm protection.

I have no antivirus installed for a while, but I used to have various free antiviruses (Avira, Avast, Comodo, Bitdefender) storaged on PC. When necessary, I install one of them, update it and scan suspicious files or the whole system. I found this very useful and effective.
    Life is too short for 56k!

I used to run BitDefender on my pc but I switched to f-secure like two weeks ago. I mean, I was happy with the performance of BD but I kind of wanted to try f-secure cause I have heard many good words about it. So far everything is sort of true, haven't experienced any problems since I get updates for it weekly.

Used to use NOD32 but switched to Kaspersky for laptops and desktops - servers use ClamAV integrated with Mailscanner.

ZoneAlarm Suite.
    Using it for I don't know how many years, and I didn't have a single problem. Including various versions of Outlook/Outlook Express.

Are you sure you don't have an isolated case hekwu?
    Closed for winter...

Used Avira for my laptop and desktop. Nothing get thru this sucker and its free.
    IRCOM Design | Banners and Graphics Design Services
    Affordable Banner Prices | 24 Hours Turn Around
    Banner Portfolio | The Hall of Fame | Drive Traffic and Sales
    Custom Sliders & Headers for Web Hosting | Facebook and Twitter Design Available

I've done a lot of different trials this year when my Norton ran out, I finally stuck on Kaspersky, Nod32 was good too.

I will never go back to Norton.
    || Host3 UK Web Hosting
    || cPanel Web Hosting

I use nod32

Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post
    Are you sure you don't have an isolated case hekwu?
    Not according to their forums.

I'd guess you not visited those or you would not have asked me such a question.

Well, this was some months ago (this is an old thread), but I'd not go back. They might have fixed it, but I'm done with them... 1st time shame on you, 2nd time shame on me.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Avast and AVG look pretty good...

Does Avast run 24/7 (like AVG does though) and is it hard on ressources?

I'm thinking of going Avast+ClamWin on my win2k machine, because winpooch doesn't seem to work very well...

I haven't used virus protection at all in recent months.

ESET Smart Security/NOD32.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Currently using kaspersky. For me its a toss up between nod and kaspersky. I really like them both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast