LiteSpeed & Apache

Is it possible to run LiteSpeed Standard without Apache? What are the disadvantages of doing that? What I dont really understand is, if you run LiteSpeed and Apache together, how does the system know which is the main one? Wont there be an increase of load since there are 2 of them?

Yes, you can run LiteSpeed without Apache. Both LiteSpeed and Apache cannot run on port 80 only 1 webserver can run on port 80. But you can set Apache to run on port 8080 if you need to forward some request from LiteSpeed to Apache for processing.
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRock View Post
    Is it possible to run LiteSpeed Standard without Apache? What are the disadvantages of doing that? What I dont really understand is, if you run LiteSpeed and Apache together, how does the system know which is the main one? Wont there be an increase of load since there are 2 of them?
    Both will not work on same port. If you want LiteSpeed then you need to stop apache from using the port 80.

You can use LiteSpeed without uninstalling Apache (recommended).
    After installing LiteSpeed you can just swap the webservers using the following command

service httpd stop
    service lsws start

This will stop Apache from using the port 80 and the LiteSpeed will start working on port 80 (You need to setup the port number via the LiteSpeed Admin area or from the installing screen)

We used LiteSpeed on our server till the previous week.
    Changed back to Apache because, Litespeed is not able to work with ModSecurity, at least in our server.

Most of the servers do not use mod security protection. But we do for extra stability and reliability.

Regards
    Jax
    SunTex Hosting

Changed back to Apache because, Litespeed is not able to work with ModSecurity, at least in our server.

Most of the servers do not use mod security protection. But we do for extra stability and reliability.
    It does work with mod_security.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by suntexssupport View Post
    We used LiteSpeed on our server till the previous week.
    LiteSpeed works well with mod_security rules, it does not waste CPU cycles to block request results in "404 Not found".
    And LiteSpeed does not write to the audit_log, so some firewall package that parses that log file to block IPs won't work. It will be changed to match Apache's.
    LiteSpeed Web Acceleration Platform by http://www.litespeedtech.com
    Apache drop-in replacement. Triple server capacity with 10X performance increases.
    Ultimate web serving platform for WordPress, Magento and other web applications.
    Turbo charging all WordPress sites hosted on your server with a single click!

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    It does work with mod_security.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistwang View Post
    LiteSpeed works well with mod_security rules, it does not waste CPU cycles to block request results in "404 Not found".
    And LiteSpeed does not write to the audit_log, so some firewall package that parses that log file to block IPs won't work. It will be changed to match Apache's.
    Ya, I read from many sites, that LSWS can work with mod_security because it is loading directly from httpd.conf.

But I checked many times on my server.

I started Apache and checked it. It worked and my IP blocked.
    Then after unblocking the IP through a proxy site,
    I stopped Apache and restarted lsws.

Then I found that my IP is not blocking.
    I already reported this on litespeed forums.

Why mod_security is not working when I start Lsws ?
    I tried many times and telling this very confidently.

It is not working on my server. I dont know about other servers.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by mistwang View Post
    Better to put the rules in litespeed request filter as opposed to loading mod_security?

You should configure rules through Apache http.conf, litespeed request filter only work for websites configuration natively.

And there is another good news that LiteSpeed can generate mod_security style audit_log now and CSF can pick up the IP from the log file and block them.
    LiteSpeed Web Acceleration Platform by http://www.litespeedtech.com
    Apache drop-in replacement. Triple server capacity with 10X performance increases.
    Ultimate web serving platform for WordPress, Magento and other web applications.
    Turbo charging all WordPress sites hosted on your server with a single click!