Considering Bluehost for Postini worried about latest reviews

Hi All, I've used ipower in the past and have been googling my head off reading reviews of other hosts. I was going to try hostgator but for one client I'm leaning towards Bluehost (or hostmysite) as they offer postini email filtering on a per mailbox basis. Postini is supposed to be excellent and my client has a 100 per day problem with email.

He has 20 or more email accounts so I would only be using Postini on the most spammed email accounts and the regular spam filter on the rest. I've read online that some customers that came from ipower noticed more spam when moving to hostgator and bluehost... so I'm more confused than ever.

Also, Bluehost... who does have postini (hostgator does not) might be a great solution IF things are back on track at in terms of loading speed, email reliability, customer service etc. AND if the Postini really works. I've read that recently they've had lost of problems with upgrades and believe me I've already been down that path with ipower and only want to go with a strong host that is currently on track and doing all the right things.

My sites are not complicated, static with some php driven galleries etc. but nothing that should tax a system.

I've been through it lately in terms of hosting and really want to hit a home run with all my clients but epecially with this client that I've been bouncing around to get them settled in a good solution.

Thanks in advance. Love this forum. Lots of smart people here....

I would go with hostmysite and the reason is simple they don;t seem to oversell. I can not say this about some other popular host names here however.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

I don't know anything about the other you mention, but I would definitely suggest avoiding Bluehost... they have really annoyed a LOT of people with their overly strict CPU "abuse" auto suspensions... it doesn't seem to take much at all to trigger it.

would go with hostmysite and the reason is simple they don;t seem to oversell
    You have to be kidding. Not only the reason is ridiculous per-se, but also, 20 GB of Space and 500 GB of bandwidth at $10.95 per month is overselling in extreme.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Except for bad scripts that run wild, email is a killer for CPU usage and storage. A host provider providing Postini is a good call. SMTP can be a killer for bandwidth and CPU usage, and with Postini sitting in front of the mail server, will shut down a significant amount of SMTP connections.

The one thing to understand about spam filtering is the difference between in-house anti-spam software or an appliance and filtered messages into a spam folder, directory storage or some other placement holder and an off-site solution.

Postini provides both, a direct blocking of spam before hitting your server, and a quarantine of messages that are suspected of spam based on the filter settings in place.

Postini’s quarantine or Message Center, stores these messages off-site rather than taking up storage on the local server. Secondly, with Postini killing off up to 50% or more of blatant spam at the data center, this is an advantage over in-house software or appliance solutions.

As your hosting business grows, and if you provide email services, so does your load from email on your servers. Using an off-site anti-spam/anti-virus solution is a smart move whether it is provided by your hosting provider or you outsource it on your own.

If you don't mind being harrased by postini sales, you can get a free 30 day trial of their service and see if you'll even be happy with it. Plus, free service for 30 days is neat.

Do you know how much bluehost is charging per mailbox for postini protection?
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    You have to be kidding. Not only the reason is ridiculous per-se, but also, 20 GB of Space and 500 GB of bandwidth at $10.95 per month is overselling in extreme.
    We rarely (if ever) have to move clients from one server to another with more space due to the fact that we don't overburden our servers with too many sites. Also, our plans are setup so that you only have one unique website per account, so the vast majority of users don't consume the full amount of disk space that they have access to. The few that do never have any problems - there is plenty of space available.

In short, overselling here is (or should be) referring to putting more sites on your servers than the servers can bear, which we definitely DO NOT do.

In short, overselling here is (or should be) referring to putting more sites on your servers than the servers can bear, which we definitely DO NOT do.
    Overselling is one thing, overloading another. You're overselling, but there's no shame in that.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Overselling is one thing, overloading another. You're overselling, but there's no shame in that.
    Yes, by that definition we are overselling, but then holding to that *every* webhost I know of is overselling, because I seriously doubt ANYONE can survive if all their clients decided to use max disk space or bandwidth at the same time.

What reviews did you read that worried you?
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

I can't recommend one company over the other but I can recommend postini. There *are* other providers of postini ...
    neil MCITP, VCP

What's the additional cost per mailbox for them to provide Postini spam filtering? You may also be able to find a provider with spam filtering as part of their standard service, but I don't mean one who runs the anti-spam filtering software on the same server as the Web site or destination email machine.

You could also go with a "smart hosting" service that provides just email filtering which then forwards your email to the destination server. This way, if you found a Web host you like, but didn't have the best email filtering service, you can get the best of both worlds.
    BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
    Build your own website powered by BannerOS with our DIY service.

I started this thread so thanks for the responses to my question!

Postini costs $1 additional per email but you don't have to use postini on all domain emails just the ones you want -- with both bluehost and hostmysite.

As far as bluehost, I read lots of positive reviews but also picked up on the fact that there have been lots of bumps in the road with recent upgrades. I also read that someone got tons more spam after they moved hosts. Also, the owner's blog had lots of posts from him that addressed the problems -- which is refreshing for its honesty but at the same time I don't want any more problems! Also the reviews that were posts on his blog showed lots of frustration. Here's the blog mattheaton dot com

wow they really are overselling

Quote Originally Posted by JakFetch View Post
    Yes, by that definition we are overselling, but then holding to that *every* webhost I know of is overselling, because I seriously doubt ANYONE can survive if all their clients decided to use max disk space or bandwidth at the same time.
    Really? I beg to differ. There are companies that will do perfectly fine if all their clients decided to use all their space and bandwidth, because they don't over-allocate resources that don't exist.

Just remember the usual rule(s) in web hosting:
    1) If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
    2) 1 GB DS / 10 GB BW for $1. Anything more and there is overselling (most likely) in either disk space, bandwidth, or both.

What might be more feasible is getting a VPS and host most/all of your client sites on it instead of breaking them up amongst various hosting companies. It lessens frustrations on your end when something goes awry or a company ceases to exist out of thin air.
    Hosted by: Hudson Valley Host (6 months+)
    Past Hosts
    : LevelHosting (2 years), Speedy Sparrow (2 years), 5ribu (3 months), Cirtex Hosting (5 years), Powweb (2 years), GoDaddy (2 years), SynergyBox (2 months, defunct), Freezoka (6 months), Peachy Dandy (1 year, defunct)

Quote Originally Posted by nmorgan View Post
    Hi All, I've used ipower in the past and have been googling my head off reading reviews of other hosts. I was going to try hostgator but for one client I'm leaning towards Bluehost (or hostmysite) as they offer postini email filtering on a per mailbox basis. Postini is supposed to be excellent and my client has a 100 per day problem with email.

I was in this position in Dec 2007. So, just 3 months ago and after extensive pre-sales investigation and contact with them - including a "what's the catch with the cheap price" - I moved to Bluehost.

Postini is excellent. They charge $20 per year per email.

However. I had a very bad experience this week with the host. I can't post links, but google will tell all.

By your hosting somewhere. We use singlehop. but buy postini from a postini distributor. We use excelmicro.com. make sure that you ask for the isp edition we pay like .60 cents.

With Postini you don't need to filter ALL your domains or All your users. This model works with our clients, this also kills the attacks on the server

Well said Idcdc. These "overselling" anathemas are kinda boring.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

* Bluehost thing again?

I have personally have experienced where Bluehost is over loading their servers. Read Bluehost Blues.

And any time even a shared web hosting company has a server down for over 28 hours is not acceptable. And with some folks it is more like 56 hours of their server being down.

Bluehost box329 where are you?

And

Bluehost unreliable!

So do you have first hand experience with Bluehost or are you just blowing smoke out your back side?