Selling Dedicated vs Selling Shared

We have been selling shared account, but now want to branch out into selling dedicated boxes.

We now have our dedicated reseller relationship in place. We are building our new site and determining hosting plans.

Looking for a few tips from those out there having some success. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

profezor
    We turn your problems in CASH. www.BuyerOfLastResort.com

-Make sure the servers are available: people love a very fast setup
    -Make sure you have enough staff available
    -See if you are able to make a special openings promotion. This usually attracts customers and if they like your company, they will posts on websites about it which makes more customers

just a few.

Also,

why dont you started with VPS? since it require less investment and it is a logical step moving up from shared hosting.

If you still decided to sell dedi then i guess you should have your target customer in mind ( low, mid or highend servers, managed or unmanaged...)
    <<please see forum rules for signature formatting guidelines>>

Quote Originally Posted by viettechorg View Post
    Also,

why dont you started with VPS? since it require less investment and it is a logical step moving up from shared hosting.

If you still decided to sell dedi then i guess you should have your target customer in mind ( low, mid or highend servers, managed or unmanaged...)
    Actually, selling/offering VPS plans requires more startup investment than reselling dedicated servers.

profezor, when choosing the company you are reselling for, make sure they are reputable and are able to carry on the same level of service your own company provides. When you resell another company's servers, you put your name on it, and it becomes your problem if your clients are unsatisfied. Do not simply choose the company that offers you the best deal.

vipeax's suggestion for a grand opening special is very good. You should sell your first batch of servers at cost, or for very little profit. This will help you reach the next level of reseller discount (most companies give you a greater discount as you sell more servers), as well as help you generate a good initial clientbase for your new dedicated line.

Yes, we do have a niche in mind. I do like the promotion idea, it might get us to the next discount level and endear us to our providers . ANd yes the suppliers are reliable ones. Thanks
    We turn your problems in CASH. www.BuyerOfLastResort.com

My suggestion is to keep a second supplier in hand.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Support is the key, Be prepaired to provide customer support for complicated problems. I know most dedicated server companies dont provide high level support without payment for technicians but if you can provide a good high level of support your customers will keep coming back each and every time.

Also if the company your reselling isant providing your support try and get remote reboot and KVM over IP access to the servers you resell, It will help you provide a good level of support for your customers and save you opening tickets for simple solutions.