Lightbulb Can anyone recommend me a good MySQL database host, please?

Ok, I currently have my forum hosted with downtownhost. Now, I want to host the MySQL database for my forum remotely, or in simpler words; somewhere else. I think it's called "remote database hosting"?

I'm not sure. Anyways, my forum is running on IPB 2.3.4 (latest version) and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a secure/reliable database host?

I've tried searching "mysql database hosting" on Google, but haven't had much luck finding sites that specifically host databases, or is there no such thing?

Any advice & help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I am assuming you are on a shared account with downtownhost? Having a remote database in this situation would be bad. First the other company will have to open a remote port and 2nd the speed is going to be horrible as they have communicate back and forth if you were to get the port opened.

Hmm.. that doesn't sound too good.

The reason why I considered hosting the database remotely is because of security. I'm not sure why, but I just keep thinking that hosting it remotely would make it more secure from hackers.

It won't make it more secure. They're connected so if someone does get into your forum they can do anything to the database. Of course if you are not on a shared system you have other options for backup and such. But when its shared you can't really do much.

knoc,

Hosting your database off-server is only recommended if you have REAL fast connections, i.e. the server is next to your machine and can communicate over a 1gb network or fiber channels.

It would not make your database more secure, it would probably only give you more resources (cpu/memory) for your database.

Perhaps it would be a better option to upgrade to a VPS or even a dedicated server if you want your database to run faster.