Looking to get a VPS with cPanel, but need help.

Alright I run psnathome.com, we recently got an article front page of digg.com and we had over 300 people connected to the site at once. So our host suspended the site because we over loaded the shared server. I am looking to purchase a VPS because we are looking to expand very soon and don't want this to happen again.

I am on a very tight budget since the ads on our site arn't bringing in any money hardly. I know I will need around 150gig bandwidth/month and 10 gig diskspace. I want the server to run cPanel, although one thing I'm quite unsure of is how much Ram needs to be guaranteed for a site such as mine. We usually have 5 people at site a time, today is the first and we had over 600 for about 10-20 min when the article first got front page.

So I am looking for suggestions on how much Ram I will need and a reliable host who is not extremely expensive for such a thing.

Without knowing more 512 -768 min since you are using cpanel.

Bob

Yeah 512 is really starting point for anything but the lightest usage on a cPanel VPS
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

You should look for a VPS with atleast 512 mb ram. Look in "VPS Hosting Offers" section.
    HighLayer - Canadian Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Latest cPanel/WHM - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support
    Visit www.highlayer.com or Call 1-888-84-LAYER

Would you think it'd be smarter to go dedicated server?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyFiles View Post
    Would you think it'd be smarter to go dedicated server?
    I don't think so, I have a forum with near 17000 members on VPS. I think you go with VPS and no problem you face.

@dotflyer, would you mind share the peak number of concurrent users? and the VPS specs?

Quote Originally Posted by dotflyer View Post
    I don't think so, I have a forum with near 17000 members on VPS. I think you go with VPS and no problem you face.

Most users ever online was 596, 13-07-2007 at 07:14 AM.

and server specs. are

Disk Space : 30 GB
    Bandwidth : 450 GB
    RAM: 512 MB

Thank you, dotflyer,

And what control panel did you use?
    Would you mind share the hosting company name and the forum script name with us?

Thank you.

Cpanel I am using. VBulletin for forum and i am with SLhost.
    if you want I can PM you forum URL.

dotflyer, are you using a different mpm than prefork?

596 users online doesn't seem right for 512MB, unless you have a lot of burstable RAM.

Each apache process (if using prefork) runs for 1 connection, therefore if you have ~500 active connections and each process uses ~2.5mb of RAM, your looking at about 1.25GB.

well i don't know much about it, but no problem i ever face.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyFiles View Post
    Alright I run psnathome.com, we recently got an article front page of digg.com and we had over 300 people connected to the site at once. So our host suspended the site because we over loaded the shared server. I am looking to purchase a VPS because we are looking to expand very soon and don't want this to happen again.

I am on a very tight budget since the ads on our site arn't bringing in any money hardly. I know I will need around 150gig bandwidth/month and 10 gig diskspace. I want the server to run cPanel, although one thing I'm quite unsure of is how much Ram needs to be guaranteed for a site such as mine. We usually have 5 people at site a time, today is the first and we had over 600 for about 10-20 min when the article first got front page.

So I am looking for suggestions on how much Ram I will need and a reliable host who is not extremely expensive for such a thing.
    When selecting a VPS provider, double check on the management options that they provide. Some are unmanaged, some are managed.
    Kaumil P.

The lowest you will get "a decent" 512 MB RAM managed VPS is with modVPS.com. But you get what you pay for. It surely has issues due to its datacenter. But the company and people in control aren't dishonest and probably are aware of problems.

From my little experience since last some time, following companies are a known names at WHT in providing VPS.

LiquidWeb.com
    WiredTree.com
    a2b2.com (or probaby cheaphosting.co.uk)
    KnownHost.com
    Last edited by minipro; 01-27-2008 at 08:24 AM.