A question of spam

Someone obviously hates me. On a daily basis I get around 2000 e-mails, 99.9% of which is spam. Some of the spam even comes from my own domain name. When I check the IP address in the header I can tell someone is just spoofing the name, because it doesn't match the IP address of the server.

Enter my lame hosting company, whose tech support is answered about once a week and in a very engrish fasion. They've now accused me of sending out spam (I am only receiving it and having my domain name spoofed), had my account suspended, and there doesn't appear to be anything I can do about it. They can't understand me (I've sent them headers) and I only half understand what their response is.

I use shared hosting with cPanel.

Is there anything I can do about this? What can stop the wave of spam coming in? What can prevent others from using my domain name to send out spam?

what's your domain name? just curious
    ResellerTemple.Com & CsIdea.US
    Marketing & Design & Programming for Competitive Price!

You should ask your web host to add SPF settings for your domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryach View Post
    What can prevent others from using my domain name to send out spam?
    A SPF record for your domain name(s) can help prevent forgeries from being accepted by mail hosts that adhere to the SPF standard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

I usually use the Microsoft.com wizard to create a SPF record, then email it to the web host (or enter it myself directly) so it becomes active for my domain. http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safe...nderid/wizard/. A day after I submit the changes, I go back to that link and verify that they're live to the world.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I'm going to wait until this issue gets resolved before I release my domain name and webhost provider.

I can tell you that according to DNSStuff's Spam database lookup (http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=domain.com), I am not blacklisted on any site.

Thanks for the SPF information, I fear that my webhosting provider will not be able to understand the instructions on setting it up though.

You can use spamassasin to reduce the spams to a great extend.
    But it's disappointing that your support team is not assisting you much with this.
    They are supposed to provide you proof when they suspend you, but here they are not even helping you after you prided proof that you are being spoofed.

If they are not going to unsuspend you try looking for new host with a better customer support.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

I don't think SPF is going to help you much as it has nothing to do with your incoming spams.
    also, there are not much hosts that checks for SPF records other than MSN and yahoo.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

A lot of new-age spammers spam hosts like they're coming from the same domain to try to avoid spam filters dynamically. Just because you see a new email in YOUR inbox from your domain doesn't really mean much. However, if you start receiving complaints from OTHER people about being spammed from your domain then you might have something to worry about.

Also, Do you have a catch-all enabled on your domain mail? This could be the main problem if all the mail to your domain is getting funneled to your personal address.

Keep us updated.

Do you advertise your email address a lot on the internet?

If practicable, you can also use google's "app for your domain" to host your email. Google is one of the few companies that have super advanced spam filtering tech.

If you place your email on web sites, you can hide the text from robots (spammers use robots to collect email addresses from web sites) while retaining the mailto: function.

We use this service quite often:
    http://m.geobytes.com/EmailAddressEncoder.html

It encodes your email to hex, and you paste it into your web site code. Fools robots while still displaying and behaving like a true email. Try it!
    -----------------------------------
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    One Stop Business Solutions
    AmeriWeb Hosting

Learnt something today @ Robert. Thanks for that!
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals