Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1

    Arrow Hostgator.com Review

    Hostgator.com is a profitable business. I just recently moved a small forum community of mine from bluehost to hostgator because I had been so happy with hostgator in the past and my bluehost was up for renewal.

    This forum is a small vbulletin forum with approximately 1,250 unique visitors per day. Today my /forums/ directory was made inaccessible via FTP or HTTP.

    The /forums/ directory was shut down because I was violating HostGators policy of sending more than 200 emails per hour. Anyone who run's a vbulletin site knows you have to keep email contact with your users via newsletters, etc. Also, users who use vbulletin realize that many people choose to have email updates when a thread they are subscribed to is updated. 200 emails per hour, ludacris!

    So here is a quote from the email I received:
    If your actions were unintentional, the content of your messages are found not to be spam, and this incident was simply an oversight of our rules, you may have the option of upgrading to dedicated servers. Continuing this type of mail volume on shared servers, however, will not be an option.
    So while they are holding my files hostage, I have the option of upgrading .. or upgrading... or getting suspended.

    Now you're saying, files on hostage? yeah right! Well I submitted a ticket concerning my domain and I was told to only reply to the ticket that I received in my email. Magically, there's no way to reply to that ticket. Now i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and my cell phone is already dead from the amount of phone calls I've received about the website being down.

    Now, let's backtrack.

    Approximately 5 months ago I ran a successful Top 100 World of Warcraft site. It received and still receives approximately 1,000 unique visitors daily. One day with no warning my site was not working. Apparently hostgator decided it was time to block all Top 100 sites on their servers without warning.

    Luckily, Brent (who I'm assuming is the owner/founder of hostgator) contacted me after I made a post about it on webhostingtalk and offered me an upgrade to another server for more money.

    I'm seeing a trend.
    Hostgator provides good service to their users, but if you're the type of user who wants to run successful websites and not personal blogs and family photo albums then HOSTGATOR IS NOT FOR YOU. Everyone praises hostgator for the great service they provide to their users that don't use more than 0.1% of their processors! For the users who become successful I hope you have a backup plan and a recent backup of your files because they become hostage.

    Anyway, off to bluehost again for me. It may be more expensive, but you get what you pay for I guess.
    Last edited by dprundle; 01-24-2008 at 05:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    484
    Bluehost is just as bad about TOS and CPU and EMAIL. Get a VPS or a premium shared hosting account.

  3. #3
    I'll be fine on bluehost. This site was working fine on bluehost over the past 6 months without a problem. I switched to hostgator because I thought they were a better host for a better price.

    I was wrong.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    484

  5. #5
    That's hilarious. Someone needs to make one of those images for hostgator.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    584
    It appears a lot of these plans by these hosts are not designed for the actual traffic they allow, and as such they try to force customers to upgrade when they exceed their own internal allowable metrics.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,333
    Hello,

    We actually handled this very well in my opinion.

    Also our email limit was recently changed to 500 an hour which is higher then bluehost along with most other shared hosting providers.

    I see your forum is sending over 4,000 emails an hour which cased it to get disabled. Before it was disabled we called you to discuss your options.

    We left your entire account online and only disabled the forum. I also see we provided you a full backup 45 minutes after you requested it.

    Your site is also getting between 30,000-40,000 page views a day. It takes a server the same amount of strain to process a unique as a page view. However I don't see you coming even close to causing a mysql or cpu issue as far as page views or anything else goes. The only problem I see is the 4,000 hourly emails. If your able to stop this you should have no problem with your 30-40,000 mysql driven page views a day.

    Try to think of it like this......

    You are sending about 3 million emails a month and receiving over a million page views a month. This is going to be to big for almost any shared hosting provider on a sub $10 account. In this case our problem just came down to the emails. Without mail limits a server receives tons of spam complaints which leads to blacklisted ips which leads to 10x the complaints on wht. We actually use to receive many complaints on wht about servers being blacklisted. We solved this with our gateway solution, but as a result a few accounts such as yours end up having problems.

    At the end of the day it's impossible to make everyone happy, and some accounts really are just to big for a shared plan. If a dedicated server is out of your price range I would recommend a vps plan. I see your forum has been temporary re-enabled so please find a solution to this email problem to avoid it being disabled again.

    Please pm me if you have any questions.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,878
    Quote Originally Posted by dprundle View Post
    It may be more expensive, but you get what you pay for I guess.
    That's a good rule of thought.

    Hostgator are a decent company and from HG's last previous post...I think it was a fair reply.

    owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

  9. #9
    I'm not sure where you get your site statistics from, but the site only has 1,000 unique visitors per day.

    Proof thanks to statcounter (as you can see today sucks because the site was taken offline) http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4994/statsjy9.jpg

    I also appreciate the phone call you gave me to discuss my options at 3am. I was sleeping and no message was left so I had no clue what was going on until about noon today.

    see your forum is sending over 4,000 emails an hour
    This was at ~2-3am. Vbulletin has a mod that notifies users that haven't been active in 2 weeks that we miss their activity by sending an email. My forum has 4,000 total users and maybe 500 active ones. Here is a link to that mod: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=138946

    At the end of the day it's impossible to make everyone happy, and some accounts really are just to big for a shared plan. If a dedicated server is out of your price range I would recommend a vps plan. I see your forum has been temporary re-enabled so please find a solution to this email problem to avoid it being disabled again.
    Thanks for the help Brent.
    Last edited by dprundle; 01-24-2008 at 07:56 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,333
    You might have 1,000 uniques but like I said it's 30,000 to 40,000 page views. This wasn't even the problem it was just the 4k+ hourly emails.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    That's a good rule of thought.

    Hostgator are a decent company and from HG's last previous post...I think it was a fair reply.

    owm
    Your replies are meaningless. In a post you make fun of a company for the simple fact the oversell and now you say "Hostgator are a decent company".

    What a joke.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    352
    Well,
    if you dont want this kind of stuff happening,
    then stay away from the filthy oversellers on the net...

    99 out of 100 oversellers suck, they nearly always pretty much scam you anyway, the low prices are pretty much fake.
    DedicatedBox Dedicated Servers
    http://www.dedicatedbox.us

    Powered by CoreISP.net Corporation

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    484
    In the first reply of this thread a recommended VPS and I think its highly advisable. What you choose is up to you but going to bluehost after hostgator wasn't working out makes NO sense. Hostgator is a much better company and has less limits than bluehost in my eyes. Get yourself hosting from a company that allows what you do or find a VPS.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    584

  15. #15
    Thanks for the advice. I just purchased a dedi box from liquidweb.

    Hostgator has handled everything professionally. However, if you have a small-medium sized forum with over 500 active users, I'd suggest using another host.

    As you can see, Hostgator cares greatly about their public image and Brent does a great job interacting with the customers. Thanks for the advice everyone.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedBox View Post
    Well,
    if you dont want this kind of stuff happening,
    then stay away from the filthy oversellers on the net...

    99 out of 100 oversellers suck, they nearly always pretty much scam you anyway, the low prices are pretty much fake.
    Okay, now if you read past the first post, and post with logic, instead of just trying to flash your signature at every oppertunity you get, you'll understand that....Overselling is not the cause of the OP's problem.

    But, I really don't expect closed minded people like you to do that.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,582
    Quote Originally Posted by 40sixty View Post
    Okay, now if you read past the first post, and post with logic, instead of just trying to flash your signature at every oppertunity you get, you'll understand that....Overselling is not the cause of the OP's problem.

    But, I really don't expect closed minded people like you to do that.
    Totally agree whether it's a overselling host or not they're not going to let you send many thousand emails an hour without restriction. Most hosts it's in the range of 250-1000 which is very fair amount. Most mailing software is now combating this by queuing up mail opposed to sending it all at once. The queue also helps with server load so even if a host had no limit they wouldn't see a massive 5000 emails or whatever being sent over the course of a few minutes setting of red flags.

    But around this forum we're all about spinning a topic somehow. A poster can come here saying they host copyrighted material on their account and make a lengthy post on how they got booted for TOS violation. You know someone is going to reply with you get what you pay for or thats a string of bad luck or something to flash a signature and make it seem like it's not what every host would do.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    154
    well instead of thinking the options hostgator planned for you, upgrade or suspend?
    you still have other choices such as gmail api or cancel?

    but if your site really hit the shared hosting limit even when you were on blue host? try dream host, or maybe really consider something more like semi-dedi ro dedicated for your profitable business.

    no offense, just purely giving the suggestion based on the information I got.
    ResellerTemple.Com & CsIdea.US
    Marketing & Design & Programming for Competitive Price!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by 40sixty View Post
    Okay, now if you read past the first post, and post with logic, instead of just trying to flash your signature at every oppertunity you get, you'll understand that....Overselling is not the cause of the OP's problem.

    But, I really don't expect closed minded people like you to do that.
    And open minded people apparantly cant imagine different positions.
    So basically, why are you flashing your signature with this pointless reply?

    It _does_ make a difference if it's overselling or not,
    because I havent seen a normal shared host running a normal forum that actually has to limit email usage because there are way too many people on the same box.

    You dont *have* to agree with what i'm saying ofcourse,
    but dont put your opinion on what you read over mine because you think you are right and my opinion, after reading, doesnt count,
    thanks in advance.

    But heyyyy,
    I'll just say you are right so that you can be happy again.

    Adios.
    DedicatedBox Dedicated Servers
    http://www.dedicatedbox.us

    Powered by CoreISP.net Corporation

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedBox View Post
    It _does_ make a difference if it's overselling or not,
    because I havent seen a normal shared host running a normal forum that actually has to limit email usage because there are way too many people on the same box.
    In your experience, specifically which "normal shared hosts" allow a user to send more than 4000 emails per hour? Just curious.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Your site is also getting between 30,000-40,000 page views a day. However I don't see you coming even close to causing a mysql or cpu issue as far as page views or anything else goes.
    Dang... that's comforting to know. I would not have though one could "get away" with that much usage on a shared server and not be pushing the limits. This shows me a couple of things:

    • The anti-oversell nazis are definitely FUD spreaders to a serious degree.
    • Hostgator rocks even more than I originally thought (and I already thought they were a really good company).


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    In your experience, specifically which "normal shared hosts" allow a user to send more than 4000 emails per hour? Just curious.
    Depending on the type of site: Yes.
    DedicatedBox Dedicated Servers
    http://www.dedicatedbox.us

    Powered by CoreISP.net Corporation

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    In your experience, specifically which "normal shared hosts" allow a user to send more than 4000 emails per hour? Just curious.

    More than 4000/hour?! I think you mean 400. I'm not aware of any... Kinda curious myself, anyone know?
    I've been using HostGator for 38 months.. and it's been awesome.
    Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

  24. #24
    Im going to play devils advocate here, HostGator like many hosting providers follow the "zero spam tolerance" rules, Although i know your email sending wasnt spamming the automated systems are placed for a reason.

    A Dedicated server / VPS would be a greater idea for a hosting solution you require, It would also mean you can host all your files without having to deal with a "higher authority"

    As for overselling its sad but its true hosting company's have to oversell these days just to be competitive, Either that or spend a fortune on advertising.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,380
    IMHO, 4,000 e-mails per day, regardless of what those e-mails are, deserves at least a VPS if not a dedicated server. Nobody, and I mean nobody on regular bargain shared hosting under $10/mo is sending out 166 e-mails per hour. They've realized that's taking a lot of other resources aside from traffic and have moved to a bigger plan to allow for their internal usages.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedBox View Post
    Depending on the type of site: Yes.
    Again, I understand you like to flash your signature around a lot.
    But next time, at least answer the guys question.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,175
    I think Hostgator did the right thing. They want to protect their email servers from being added to blacklists all around the world.
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedBox View Post
    Depending on the type of site: Yes.
    If you have an answer to my question, would you mind giving it? I'm sure others would be interested to know also. I'll just add some bold in case you misunderstood.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    In your experience, specifically which "normal shared hosts" allow a user to send more than 4000 emails per hour?

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedBox View Post
    Well,
    if you dont want this kind of stuff happening,
    then stay away from the filthy oversellers on the net...

    99 out of 100 oversellers suck, they nearly always pretty much scam you anyway, the low prices are pretty much fake.
    The fact that we oversell does not mean the service or servers suck, at all. Even by overselling there are ways to provide with an outstanding service, for example, resource usage limits. This will allow to host the customers in the server without causing issues to other customers. There is no scam, it's just marketing strategy.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    352
    Resource usage limits, when I hear and see that, and combine it with some funny rules in policy's of most overselling company's, not a single client will ever be able to use what you promise.
    There are only a few company's that make that exception.

    What's also a thing is that I usually see alot of people on oversold hosts complaining about speed problems because the servers are slowing down alot due to the sick ammount of clients on 1 box.

    @40sixty:
    And next time you make a reply, are you actually able to make one that isnt rude?
    Havent seen anything else from you.
    I made a mistake mixing which and with up, but I am sure you never make mistakes mr. Genious... and then you tell me about flashing sigs, give me a break.
    (Besides, this is a thread about shared hosting, not even dedicated, so what are you on about?
    If you cant find a decent argument, please dont resort to pointless insults)

    @Foobic:
    Yes, I did misunderstood, mixed up a word, my apologies for that.
    I will answer your question, hopefully later today, i'm a bit busy while typing this.

    Sorry for any inconvenience.


    - Liroy
    Last edited by DedicatedBox; 01-29-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    DedicatedBox Dedicated Servers
    http://www.dedicatedbox.us

    Powered by CoreISP.net Corporation

  31. #31
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    IMHO, 4,000 e-mails per day, regardless of what those e-mails are, deserves at least a VPS if not a dedicated server. Nobody, and I mean nobody on regular bargain shared hosting under $10/mo is sending out 166 e-mails per hour. They've realized that's taking a lot of other resources aside from traffic and have moved to a bigger plan to allow for their internal usages.
    Unless things have changed, I believe ASO allows 1000 emails to be sent per hour on their shared plans.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedBox View Post
    @40sixty:
    And next time you make a reply, are you actually able to make one that isnt rude?
    Havent seen anything else from you.
    I made a mistake mixing which and with up, but I am sure you never make mistakes mr. Genious... and then you tell me about flashing sigs, give me a break.
    (Besides, this is a thread about shared hosting, not even dedicated, so what are you on about?
    If you cant find a decent argument, please dont resort to pointless insults)
    - Liroy
    Take a little criticism. I call it the way I see it, and don't beat around the bush.
    Anywho....still waiting for your list.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •