Thread: diskspace

diskspace

how much diskspace will an average user use? i was thinking it was like 500mb but im not that sure could anyone give me a good estimate?

It would probably be around 500-1000MB. Of course it depends what your restrictions are. If you give them 10GB with no limits, they'll store whatever they can on it!
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting

ok thanks, you just helped me sort out my hosting packages tyvm

Isn't the average site a couple of pages along with some images?
    Thats like...1 Megabyte?
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

Really the number is going to greatly depend on your types of users. I think a better question would be:

"How much does my diskspace cost me as a host?"

Using that question you can price your packages properly and offer several packages in different sizes for user's to choose from.

I.e. Let's assume you're running 250GB disks on your machine and the OS/Control Panel/Etc.. takes up 10GB of space. You also want to keep local backups on that machine as well as remote backups on another machine.

So we take the 250GB and we whack off 10GB for the OS. We're now down to 240GB of usable space.

Assuming everything is maxed and you want local backups when then have 120GB of space left to be used (the other 120GB of space will go for the backups).

Assuming you are paying $100/mo for that machine then it is costing you $100/mo for that 120GB of space.

120GB / $100 = $1.2 per GB of space. I will leave factoring in the remote backup costs out of this as I'm trying to keep it short and simple.

Using that simple formula you can see that you're cost is roughly $1.2/GB of space (without overselling) and that should help you in pricing your plans out.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Thing is an average user doesn't take into account the biggest amount someone might want

We have users using well over a gig and some users using 5MB.

Your question got me thinking and I decided to have a look through some of our servers. From what I have looked at the average (roughly) is about 60MB

Average is probably in the 500MB range but it can vary quite a bit and in some cases you'd be surprised where the space is coming from.

You'll see some users who decide they want to turn catch-all on for whatever strange reason. Over the course of 6 months they end up with 1GB of emails due to the fact they did not check their catch all and did not turn on any spam filters.

Most instances though it's go into fantastico let it install wordpress then maybe 10MB used by MySQL with another 60MB used for images and other files. If there weren't strange instances the average wouldn't be near 500MB.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Yep I agree with Tony, alot of the time its catch all or unread of archived emails that starts taking up all the space, which can be a big pain in the butt

I don't think you can necessarly pick a specific number. When it comes to space certain sites will use more then others so maybe you should think about custom packages.

Usually the average user disk space consumption is around 50 to 500MB. There are sites consuming more disk space but it is not common.

I would monitor your hit counter and make an estimate from that.

Are you talking about average user account or average domain?

I don't know for hosting case, but from my experience on SSH account, it's less than 100M when we set a 1G quota.