how to provide 1000gb??

Hi all

i running a small hosting business with a reseller account about 25gb, planning to upgrade dedicated server..

my question is, some hosting companies (hostgator) offering 350gb, 600gb, 1000gb.. how this much space giving for less price, cost around 12.95 for 1000gb, really they will allocate 1000gb to customer?

if i go for a dedicated server what configuration should i buy, what applications should i use?
    friends if anybody know this, please help me..

Thanks

Of course they don't provide that much disk space and bandwidth. This practice is called overselling.
    On the other hand you could as well be selling 1000GB-space accounts right there, from your 25GB plan...
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

1000gb.
    Can you image the server configuration for 1000GB hard drive $12?
    You can look at any company you like, but remember that you always get what you pay for.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

it depends if your paying $99 for the dedicated server then yeah their overselling as the equipment alone costs way more than $99 and they just wouldnt be making a profit any time soon which would send up red flags for me.

however if their charging somthing more sensible like $200+ then that would make me think yeah I might have a chance on actually getting what I pay for.

bottom line is most of web hosts that charge below $10 for a plan are overselling to some extent and your never get a chance to utilise all your resources. - unless its dedicated.

EDIT: also if your thinking about going down the 1000gb HDD route I hope theirs two drives in RAID for backup. adding to that $200 example i used.

I remembered a few discussions on how they can offer so much, some were claiming that they can add hard disks as soon as the clients used up their space, which doesn't really make sense as you can't add in all the hard disks you want in a server. Another argument was that they are using SAN, but the cost of SAN is tremendous, certainly not an investment for a normal hosting company especially if you are selling 1 cent a Gb. With SAN the equipment will be around $20/GB.

You Get What You Pay For

cannot be overemphasized.

Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    Can you image the server configuration for 1000GB hard drive $12?
    You can look at any company you like, but remember that you always get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by sinohosting View Post
    Of course they don't provide that much disk space and bandwidth. This practice is called overselling.
    On the other hand you could as well be selling 1000GB-space accounts right there, from your 25GB plan...
    Actually the do provide that much disk space and bandwidth. You are able to use all of your allocated disk space and if you could use the full transfer allowance to. You cant use the full transfer allowance because they would most probably get you for using too many CPU units.

boonchuan, I believe they do use a SAN, just because they offer the space does not mean that you have to use it. One of my friends has a HG account, and uses less than 500MB.

egraphica, as the others have said its called overselling.

Paul

1000gb is not too far out there for a dedicated box. But please remember 99.9% of the time you get what you pay for. 1000gb for less than $10 seems too good to be true. If it sounds too good to be true than it probably is.

Plus in the TOS of a lot of these hosts, they give a limit on the NUMBER of files you can have on your account. All the fine print makes it almost impossible to use up the space they advertise you can use.

Yes, I will agree with jdk. HG have a inode limit of 10,000 on there servers, which means that you can only have up to 10,000 files on your hosting account, think of the average site ???

So yes, it probably would make it impossible to fill up 600GB as they advertise!

James

I'm pretty annoyed about this 'overselling' where i'm from we call that 'false-advertising' and you can be prosecuted for it.

The laws are being brushed up here in the UK over Internet Issues. People will soon be able to face up to two years in prison for making false claims (business related) on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan View Post
    Another argument was that they are using SAN, but the cost of SAN is tremendous, certainly not an investment for a normal hosting company especially if you are selling 1 cent a Gb. With SAN the equipment will be around $20/GB.
    Maybe for a high-end SAN that you would find in a corporate environment. For a simple iSCSI SAN whose purpose is just to provide a lot of capacity, the cost can be under $1/GB.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***