View Poll Results: Do you look at physical location of a web host?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

33 80.49%
  • no

8 19.51%

Physical Location of a web host

Do you look at the physical location of a web server?

Are you talking of the office location or what. I feel that question is not quite complete here.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

I'm assuming he means the physical location of the webhost's servers. (Aka in the same country or hosted in a foreign country.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicational View Post
    I'm assuming he means the physical location of the webhost's servers. (Aka in the same country or hosted in a foreign country.)
    Yes - thats what i meant. IP address of a server can be mapped into a particular region. Do you look at this info when you purchase hosting?

I think that this is big question and can generate more then 2 pages discussion here.
    Some web hosting companies (big ones) rent rack space in different DC and the DCs they have servers on change time by time.
    Office location - other question (because it can be virtual one)
    Support - it can be located iven in the third place (India etc) and you will never know about that.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Since I am based in the UK I always look for solutions inside europe, the lower latency does make a noticable distance in loading times; say in comparison to a server hosted in the US.

Another factor really is where most of your target visitors will be located.

I bet most people voting in here will vote for Yes.
    -Mr Bister

Quote Originally Posted by mrbister View Post
    I bet most people voting in here will vote for Yes.
    Not sure about that. I myself was unware of this when i set up my first site with asmallorange. I just went for a low priced host

Quote Originally Posted by Chris E View Post
    Another factor really is where most of your target visitors will be located.
    That's right, many resellers seek out hosts in the geographic location closest to their prospective (or current) customers.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

For me a definite yes, though Singapore is a small country, 40 km end to end, it is still better to have the datacenter as near to you as possible in case of emergencies.

I don't think that the hosting location is an issue for the vast majority of websites out there. I live in Europe and never did I feel like going "Boy, this site must be hosted very far from here!".

Now, if the audience I target with a given site would be from a certain relatively narrow area, hosting near that location would be a thought I would entertain. The costs differential to other markets would be taken into account though, if we're taking about getting higher end hosting solutions. Otherwise, an extra ~$10 for a shared hosting account should not be that much of an issue.

Physical location is the most important aspect when chosing a web host. You should always try to get your server as close to your market as possible for both latency and SEO considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Hosts View Post
    Physical location is the most important aspect when chosing a web host. You should always try to get your server as close to your market as possible for both latency and SEO considerations.
    First time i heard that location can affect SEO working hmm.. Can you explain how it works ? Does google bot not like ips from india, england or uk ?

I will always look where they are country wise and datacenter wise just to make sure that the servers are in a decent datacenter with the appropriate equipment

yes, i do!

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    First time i heard that location can affect SEO working hmm.. Can you explain how it works ? Does google bot not like ips from india, england or uk ?
    It can, technically if you're not using a 'country' based domain name. Say for example I'm a Canadian, hosting my content in the US but using a .com -- my content won't be ranked 'higher' when I'm searching via google.ca

However if I have a .com & it's hosted in Canada it will get higher in the ranks for users searching from the Canadian google. Having a .ca hosted in the US will give the same benefits though..

If that makes any sense.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I like to know the location of the servers to see what DC they are in and the location of the DC. For example if a host has a server in The Planet then I would look at another host as it is well known around here about the problems of The Planet. I also like to know what backbone carriers are in the DC as well.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It can, technically if you're not using a 'country' based domain name. Say for example I'm a Canadian, hosting my content in the US but using a .com -- my content won't be ranked 'higher' when I'm searching via google.ca

However if I have a .com & it's hosted in Canada it will get higher in the ranks for users searching from the Canadian google. Having a .ca hosted in the US will give the same benefits though..

If that makes any sense.
    Hmm is there some proof out there about the same, just interested to see how all this seo stuff works actually !!

Hmm is there some proof out there about the same, just interested to see how all this seo stuff works actually !!
    Some guidelines here: googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/08/server-location-cross-linking-and-web.html

Sure, datacenter Location is very important.

very very important, in fact i have done speed tests to prove it to myself. From a US based server in atlanta a 10mb file downloads at around 300-400kbps to the uk. The same file on a uk server downloads at 600-800kbps. Both from similar spec dedicated servers with no load.

Latency to UK-US is around 130ms but UK-UK it is around 30-40ms.

i prefer hosting my websited close to or in the country of my target market(mainly India).. i think latency plays a big role in site resolution.. you can notice it by pinging thw servers.. 300ms to US and 15ms to Indian Servers... this is from India...

if im looking at a global audience id go for DCs in the US mainly...
    i think they have the best connections with the TIER 1 providers.. m

Not exceptionally. I don't cater to a specific "local" clientele though, and as long as the server is in a quality DC with access to major network carriers, I won't have too much of an issue. Of course, as I live in the US, I'll definitely notice and probably steer clear from a datacenter in Hong Kong, but the physical location of the server isn't the highest priority.

I've had servers in New York, Jacksonville, Detroit, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Los Angeles, and other places that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

again..

you are talking about DCs all located in the US.. Outside the US is not that easy.. when we cater to Local markets with Local websites you prefer hosting them in your own country(India).. since then latency does come into play...

OK,
    Server location to me is important, it needs to match, not my location, not my clients location, but my clients prospective customers location.
    So idealy the server needs to be close to whoever is going to buy widgets from my clients.
    Country domains also seem important.
    Latency / speed, is not just dependant on server location & hardware spec., but also on how 'Well Set Up' the hardware is.
    If I do the car analogy, same bendy road, same car, the car with the optimum tyre pressue will perform best.

my 2c worth.

Hello fellow canadians, hehe ... Anyways, I'm interested in SEO and from what I learned and seen so far, the physical location of the server has NOTHING to do with SEO.

What david was saying is related to the SE that you're using. Google for example, if you search from google.ca you will get different results (but not totally different) than if you search from google.com. In their algorithm, the SEs do take into consideration the TLDs of the domains, and country related website content when delivering results. But the results are "affected" by the IP of the searches and not the IP of the web server.

So, once again, SEO wise, it doesn't matter where you're hosted. If you have a .com or a .ca in US or Canda ... same thing if you're using "the same' search engine. Remember though ... google.ca and google.com are not the same.

my $0.02
    Last edited by bobitza; 02-11-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vMOT View Post
    i prefer hosting my websited close to or in the country of my target market(mainly India).. i think latency plays a big role in site resolution..
    A lot of people seem to think that having a web server across the street will result in top speeds for their customers in the neighborhood. That's so wrong! (imho, don't shoot!)

How do you know what connection do they have or the web host has? Physical distance means nothing when compared with direct connectivity, how well the web host's servers are setup and so on. I think those should be prime factors.

And not to mention overselling ... muhahaha.