fine points of a colocation management agreement.

We are talking with a datacentre about colocation and im hiring a third party company to manage the servers 'on site' on our behalf.

Im looking for some feedback on the 'colocation agreement' and the 'server management agreement' to make sure were covering everything.

just to be clear, Ive got a server administrator who will access the server virtually so the only points of the agreement will be those tasks that need to be done 'on site'.

the points ive looked at so far are:

colocation agreement
    > 1u and 2u costs.
    > Server setup costs.
    > Power allocation and cost of additional amp's.
    > Bandwidth overages.
    > storage space for spares

onsite server management agreement
    > hardware replacement costs .
    > Hardware upgrade costs.
    > status monitoring.
    > general server management.

1) what else should be covered in the colocation details?

2) what should be included within the 'on site server management' agreement?

3) what should be included under the description 'general server management'.

for example: I think physical reboots should be part of the server management agreement, but how many on average per server per month should be included?

3) should hardware replacement cost be fixed rate per task or hourly, also do you have any suggestions regarding what to expect over a year (nothing exact, just a bit of guidance to help with the budgeting)

Combined these agreements should cover everything that we can not do remotely.

I think this is one for you guys with lots of experience to get your teeth into!

Why not just find a colo provider that also does managed services? Keep things simple.

Just my $0.02
    --chuck goolsbee, Prineville, Oregon, USA
    Please note: I no longer work for digital.forest in Seattle, WA, as I left them in early 2010 to pursue an amazing opportunity at an amazing datacenter project elsewhere... I do not speak for digital.forest here. However I still know they provide the best colocation in the Pacific Northwest.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't just use the datacenter's remote hands service (which most datacenters offer unless it's a barebones lights out facility)? While there's nothing wrong with using a third party I suppose, you need to find out if they have staff on hand 24/7/365 at the datacenter or if they have to page some guy to get out of bed at 3am and wait 20 minutes while he drives in. One critical thing I see missing here is the SLA guaranteeing some sort of response time to emergency/device down requests, which you should get regardless of whether it's a datacenter's remote hands service or a third party.

Power cycling is something you can do relatively easily with a remote power strip or some of the more sophisticated LOM platforms.

Remote hands services are generally an hourly rate.

Usually, hardware replacement can be counted as remote hand service, and charged at hour rate. Reboot, you should check with vendor. Some give it free, some charge for it. You might be better to get remote reboot ports, so you can reboot servers yourself.

Also, make sure to list all the things in "general server management". Will they check your server, if it cannot boot? Will they fix your errors when server is not working? They might do for free in the first 30 minutes, but after that, they will charge for remote hand service? Level 1 or level 2 service?

If it's possible, which DC are you mentioning?

If you are looking also at helping to lower costs, I'd strongly suggest looking into both a remote reboot port and also getting an IP/KVM that way your local hands would basically only consist of hardware replacement (and other possible unforeseen things requiring local intervention).
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Thanks guys this is the type of information Im looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    If you are looking also at helping to lower costs, I'd strongly suggest looking into both a remote reboot port and also getting an IP/KVM that way your local hands would basically only consist of hardware replacement (and other possible unforeseen things requiring local intervention).
    Agree 100%. With IPMI or a KVM over IP solution, and the remote reboot port as a backup, you have a lot of control.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough