Thread: DNS Help

DNS Help

hey, i have recently been experimenting with DNS. I have managed to get a local and internet one setup which opened my test site fine. Now my ip has changed i am having trouble linking it back up again.

i am quite new to all this so i'm not to sure what info to post. Any info required please ask.

im running this all through:
    windows 2003
    Windows 2003 DNS
    IIS 6.0

If you're on something like a DSL/cable or other home connection where your IP is assigned dynamically by PPPoE/PPPoA or DHCP and thus changes frequently (usually whenever you reboot the modem/router) then you need some kind of dynamic DNS service.
    Personally I recommend everyDNS as they are free for something like 200 records and you can use your own domain name instead of being limited to one of their subdomains (whatever.noip.com or similar). You will need to smarthost any e-mail through your providers mail relay as your IP will be on the dynamic black lists and most people (Particularly the big ones like Yahoo, hotmail, AOL etc.) won't accept direct-to-MX mail from dynamic IPs.
    Keep your 2k3 server's DNS around for internal use (if you want/need it) and let EveryDNS handle the public side.

i plan to get a static ip within the next few days so that wont be a problem. my ip has just changed and i would like to use the same address as i used before and i'll need to know how to change it when i get my static ip anyways, is it a hard process to change to a different ip?

Nope, should be really easy. You should just be able to open up the WIn 2K3 DNS snap-in for the management console from the start menu (or that really annoying "Manage your server" start up screen, unless you've turned it of) and double click on the appropriate A record then change the IP in the dialogue that pops up. The default A record is called "(same as parent folder)" if memory serve me correctly. You'll need to do this for each A record.

so all my "(same as parent folder) (A)" ip's should be my WAN ip? Should any be my local?

Depends how you're using the server. Really you shouldn't use the same machine for public and private name resolution but sometimes you just can't help it (I used to use the 180 day Win2K3 trial on my home network in exactly this setup, didn't seem much point to having another machine just for DNS).
    If you want whatever the parent folder/zone is called to resolve to your WAN IP then yep, you need to set that A record to your WAN IP address and create a "www" CNAME for it. That way if anyone tries to resolve example.com or www.example.com they will get your WAN IP.
    If you want to use it for internal forward (and even reverse) name resolution then you can create internal A records on the same domain or on another if you setup a second zone.
    Last edited by Ed-Freethought; 01-23-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Still can't spell

thanks you!

you have been very helpful, managed to get it all up and going now, thanks to ya. You also managed to awnser my next question in that last comment

You're welcome, always happy to help.
    That's proactive support for you ;-)