Hosting advice needed

I have about 10 sites I manage for clients or non-profits I volunteer with. We've been on midphase/AN Hosting for a couple years and the recurring issue is our emails not getting through to select ISP's for days or weeks at a time. I know it is likely due to abusers on the shared server.. it just seems to happen A LOT. So very quickly (within the next week) I need to solve this issue. What is the best / easiest solution? A better shared hosting service? Fully managed VPS or fully managed dedicated server?

Our sites are not high traffic at this time, mostly amatuer sports, school sports sites, small businesses. A few of them do use sonicmailer pro or phplist for email lists of 50-1500subscribers (n more han a couple newsletters a month each site.

We need PHP 5 and MySQL and prefer CPanel.

Is there any such thing as a low user ratio shared hosting or shared dedicated server?

You can go with shared hosting, you can go with VPS, you can go with dedicated, depends on your budget :-p. You may wanna try to take a look on WebHosting Offers and also on reviews!

I know we have options I am trying to decide what will give us the best email service, not have to worry about abusers and such.

My questions are:

If we go Managed VPS or Dedicated, what types of backup services should we line up and what is the expected price range? Is there backup email server services?

Could we host our site on one hosting provuder and host email with another hosing provider?

I've read good things about HostGator and HostICan, both offer shared hosting and seem to oversell.. so could we be getting into the same problems with email as MidPhase?

Our budget is pretty much anywhere from #20-$140 a month. Right now with the multiple accounts we have we are paying about $30 a month. I know we could probably get a dedicated server for $89-99 a month or so and a server management service for $30-40 a month, but do we really need to go that route to have good email service?

I was in the same situation you are now, before when I was still in a reseller account and I was having the same few issues so I decided to get my own server and now I've had no problems with spam.

Cool

You can go with shared but look for a shared host who serves the same type market you do. Mainly "serious" business or organizational clients.
    Not just a "bring it on, we host everybody, 500GB for $2" type host (no adult content, "pyramid schemes" & such in the TOS is a plus)

The type sites a shared company hosts/markets to can increase or decrease your likelihood of "spam" problems caused by others. If a host tries to keep away the type sites that attract them they may not be as large in numbers of total customers but won't have problems as often.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Yeah I think the big name budget hosts like AN Hosting and HostGator ,etc. will likely all have the same email issues/blacklisting.

What about clustered reseller hosting? Would this be a better way to ensure more reliable email? Cartika's site and plans are impressive.

I've looked into Managed VPS and regular VPS (hire PSM to manage?) but am not sure wich provider would be reliable and not oversell VPS's.

There are two options come to my mind:
    (1) Since the traffic and resource-consuming of your site aren't high, and what you cared most is the Email stuff. A managed VPS plan may be enough for your case. But, you need to install a control panel with the VPS, so you want at least 256M memory. This approach will cost about $40-50/month.
    (2) Stay on the current shared plan, or choose another shared plan. But, you can host your email on a separate server. Your email volume isn't high, and the problem is it has 1500 subscribers. I'd suggest you try the free "Google's App for your domain" service.

First, it's hard to find any email service more reliable than google's gmail. Second, you can use some simple trick to get rid of the google's 500 email limit. But, if you use google, you can't use phplist.

Your site probably on a server with IP blacklisted at major anti-spam databases.
    Do you have any budget? eg. less than $10 or $20 a month etc.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

Simple solution: Just get a static IP unique to your site. Make sure it's dissimilar enough to the current one that it won't get blocked along with the rest of the IP's in the group. You can probably get an IP for a few dollars a month.

Nate
    Magic Web Hosting, Inc.

Simple solution: Just get a static IP unique to your site.
    Getting a dedicated IP is likely to solve nothing, as it will be used for the website itself, not for the mail server.

A serious webhosting company (one that is used by businesses) rather than one that gives away accounts for cheap is less likely to have issues with email I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ADesign View Post
    Yeah I think the big name budget hosts like AN Hosting and HostGator ,etc. will likely all have the same email issues/blacklisting.

What about clustered reseller hosting? Would this be a better way to ensure more reliable email? Cartika's site and plans are impressive.

I've looked into Managed VPS and regular VPS (hire PSM to manage?) but am not sure wich provider would be reliable and not oversell VPS's.
    We've struggled with this a great deal over the past few years. The best option we have, is to apply a static IP address to your account. This usually fixed the problem, however, there are other things we can try to help push these things through (more accurate RevDNS entries, SPF records, etc.).

The most notorious mail destinations that we have difficulty with are Hotmail and Yahoo.

Marc
    Marc Bollinger
    Sr. Technical Engineer - US Operations
    UK2Group.com
    midPhase | AN Hosting | WestHost | 10TB | Resell.biz

It's been happening weekly for over a year. I submit requests and they want email headers, etc.. too much hassle for every week problems on many different servers. I am not sure how the dedicated IP wouldn't help with email blocking on a shared server. I know hotmail and yahoo and aol are problematic, but this is now issues with comcast, .edu sites, etc. I appears the server is listed on RBL.

Quote Originally Posted by ADesign View Post
    It's been happening weekly for over a year. I submit requests and they want email headers, etc.. too much hassle for every week problems on many different servers. I am not sure how the dedicated IP wouldn't help with email blocking on a shared server. I know hotmail and yahoo and aol are problematic, but this is now issues with comcast, .edu sites, etc. I appears the server is listed on RBL.
    Well, we need the headers in order to locate where the actual problem lies (on our side, somewhere in the middle, or on the destination).

A dedicated IP address ensures that you won't end up on blacklisted services unless you directly cause it.

Marc
    Marc Bollinger
    Sr. Technical Engineer - US Operations
    UK2Group.com
    midPhase | AN Hosting | WestHost | 10TB | Resell.biz

Yeah I know headers help trace the problem but when it happens so often, submitting tickets for headers is time consuming, especially frustating when the problem is not due to our misuse.

I thought the dedicated IP only applied to the web server, not the mail server?

On a few of my clients accounts I oversee, quite often emails take hours to receive and at many times we cannot even get connection to POP. I assume this is due to a server being overloaded at times.

There are two options come to my mind:
    (1) Since the traffic and resource-consuming of your site aren't high, and what you cared most is the Email stuff. A managed VPS plan may be enough for your case. But, you need to install a control panel with the VPS, so you want at least 256M memory. This approach will cost about $40-50/month.
    (2) Stay on the current shared plan, or choose another shared plan. But, you can host your email on a separate server. Your email volume isn't high, and the problem is it has 1500 subscribers. I'd suggest you try the free "Google's App for your domain" service.

First, it's hard to find any email service more reliable than google's gmail. Second, you can use some simple trick to get rid of the google's 500 email limit. But, if you use google, you can't use phplist.
    John8,

Would a managed VPS with CPanel with 256MB of RAM be enough? I've heard its a memory hog. I'm looking at putting at least 5 sites, maybe as many as 15, on the same account/server/vps.. none are high traffic sites. One is a disabled sports league site with our custom made game stats PHP software which runs well. We want to add a forum and photo gallery, it would not have many concurrent users though. A few of the other sites are static html/css, and a few use typolight cms (I LOVE this CMS).

The email list program for the sports site is SonicMailer Pro. PHPlist got hacked a few times so we switched. One site still uses it I think though we can use a new solution.

I am not familiar with Google Apss, I just looked into it and it seems intriguing, especially for the non-profits I help manage sites for. Isn't Gmail becoming a spammers fav. tool though? Thus resulting in many sites blocking gmail?

I didn't see a email newsletter Google App though.

If the sites you have are small, you may not even need a VPS. You could just go for a higher quality reseller account and be fine. That way you wouldn't have to mess with any of the server management issues. The downside, of course, is that you would then still have to worry about shared resources.

One thing that one of my clients is concerned about with shared hosting is email security, am not sure if this is a valid concern.. but they have sensitive/private employee paperwork faxes emailed as .pdf (eFax Pro). Is this a valid concern on a shared hosting or is it appliciable to any environment? I looked at Google Apps and it seems their small business email service may be a good secure option.

I've been weighing the options..

- Fully managed VPS ($40-60/mo). Liquid Web seems the a good choice and can get it for $40 a month with coupon and a $100 setup fee.

- Fully managed dedicated server ($109-189 a month). DedicatedNOW appears to have fully managed for a good price. I also saw I could get 2 servers with Superb for $49 + $20 for Cpanel (x2) = $89 for 2 servers, and do paid management with a service like PSM.. total cost $149 a month and have lots of power and room to host more business class sites (not overload servers). This would mean offering full hosting to clients which means support, etc.. so its more of a what type of business move do I want to make. Currntly I just am an affilate getting $95 per signup, no recurring income and most clients still email or call me for help anyway as I design/manage their sites. Recurring income would be nice as I often end up supporting anyways. I definetely am not wanting to be a budget web host / oversell, more just cater to local businesses and design clients (design with managed shared hosting).

- Clusterred reseller hosting with Cartika, ResellerZoom, Reseller3k, Mosso etc. ResellerZoom Failover Hosting offers end user support, which could be nice.

Tough decision.