Question How is this page protected?

http://www.members.shaw.ca/tfshannon2/holiday-inn.htm

How is this page protected?
    I cannot grab content or images with javascript on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    I cannot grab content or images with javascript on or off.
    Why do you need to?
    This was done by running it through an encryption script (essentially a simple "escape"), three times.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

You could also use ie7pro in ie to find the url of the images... or use a site downloader to get the images... could also use snag it to grab the text if you wanted. All kinds of ways to get the info, if you really want it.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Whats wrong i seem to be able to everything i want to that page?
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Why do you need to?
    This was done by running it through an encryption script (essentially a simple "escape"), three times.
    I would like to know how it's done so I can so similar on one of my sites.

Escape is a javascript function that encodes characters to another format that can be understood by the computer but makes it hard for humans to read.

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_escape.asp

You just pass your string into the Escape function, take the output of this, and pass this into another Escape function. The result of this will look like garbage.
    To make it readable, you have to pass this back into the Unescape function twice.

Does that make sense?

I was able to select everything on the page, whatever portions of the page I wanted, without any hindrance or disabling of JavaScript whatsoever. All the protections appear to ignore Opera, but even if they didn't, it would be very simple to unescape the source and take it. What a waste of time and money for whoever bothered to "protect" that page.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

IM sorry but, why in gods name would you want any thing from that site. I am ashamed to say that it was in my browser for more than 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Phireworks View Post
    IM sorry but, why in gods name would you want any thing from that site. I am ashamed to say that it was in my browser for more than 10 seconds.
    He did not want anything from the site itself.... he wanted to know how the technology worked so he could use it on one of his sites.

But as the PM correctly pointed out, it is a complete waste of time. Honest users are the only people you end up pissing off/hurting with processes like this. If someone really wants your content or page information, there are ways to get it.

Even worse, it promotes you have something to hide... anyone say "hacker challenge?" lol

Seems like 97% of the time I see stuff like this on crap sites.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

In firefox: disable javascript, ctrl+a to select all page, right click and view selection source.

As hekwu said, it is just waste of time. You will piss of legit visitors, search engines will not find your page, it might have an effect of screen readers for blind and people who want your content will take it anyway.

If you have content worth stealing - make it accessible and profit from it.

In firefox: disable javascript, ctrl+a to select all page, right click and view selection source.
    Right click > View Page Info > Tab Media.
    hi there!