Can you bargain for colo?

I got my quote and some of the setup fees are quite high. We're looking at $2500 in setup fees for one cabinet. Can you bargain with colo places, do they expect you to?

Thanks.

Of course. You should be able to find a company that is willing to work with you. You jsut have to find an agreement. I recently got setup fee's waived for a client by agreeing to place a certain number of servers after a year, etc. You just have to entice them, just like they have to entice you
    Brett Meadors

Quote Originally Posted by hdpt00 View Post
    I got my quote and some of the setup fees are quite high. We're looking at $2500 in setup fees for one cabinet. Can you bargain with colo places, do they expect you to?

Thanks.
    What kind of services/cabinet is this? Is there anything special included? (UPS, PDUs, etc.)

It's a cabinet with internap, 100mbps commit, 2 cross connects, gig-e port, 1 x 20A (with redundancy).

*Update*

They won't budge, oh well, I tried.

They should budge on setup fees if you agree to a longer term, unless of course you are already on a 3 year term.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

Have you considered trying other providers?
    Brett Meadors

As Brett says, trying other providers and getting lower prices would be worth a shot. Then you could always go back to Internap and ask them to match the price if they want you as a client

It's of course always easier to bargain with small providers where your business means more to them, compared with large providers.
    Sune Christesen
    ActiveWebs A/S - Dedicated servers, virtual servers, server hosting and private racks in Denmark.
    Data Center Map - Worldwide colocation, cloud and carrier index with interactive map.
    European-DDoS-Protection.com - Protection against DDoS attacks in Europe.

I think you'll get the most bargaining based on your commit. The most profitable part for a colo provider is usually the bandwidth, considering how substantial the infrastructure costs for power and cooling are. The worst customers for a colo are those that just sit there with a bunch of idle servers sucking back 120amps of power just to run 5Mbps of traffic. If you're willing to put in a decent commit, I imagine you'll be able to save substantially on the overall cost.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Keep fighting. We were not able to get Internap to waive the setup but they cut the MRC by 10%. Even better in my opinion.

Or go to a data center that has Internap bandwidth

What city do you want to be in? If there is a good bit of competition then you would have a better chance of getting a deal.
    TeleSouth Network Inc.
    Dedicated and Managed Servers
    11 years of Service and Support with Excellence
    http://www.telesouth1.com/dedicated.php

Internap Colo - Yea their setup fees are really high. $2500.00 setup, I can buy a great cabinet for that price. While I understand the costs that go into a DC, I found them to be the most expensive provider. Too much to justify using their network.
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog

Although not quite as high, Equinix setup fees are similarly insane.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

hdpt00....where are you looking to host your DC?

Quote Originally Posted by voices4action View Post
    hdpt00....where are you looking to host your DC?
    I am going with Internap in Oakland, Ca. Thanks.