PHPBB running on a dedicated server

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the forum. Thanks in advance to everyone who has read this and replied! I have a question about PHPBB bogging down a dedicated server with these specs.

Current 1 and 1 Dedicated Server
    Single Core AMD Athlon 64 3500+ - 2.2 GHz
    1 GB - RAM
    2 x 160 GB - HD
    2,000 GB - bandwidth

Host Gator Server we are thinking about switching to

Pentium 4, 2.4 GHZ
    1024mb , RAM
    80gb SATA HD
    1,500gb - bandwidth

We are currently hosting with 1 and 1 on a dedicated server package. We are constantly receiving notices from Alertra that our server has gone down, the outages usually last a minute or two but have been happening quite a few times per day. It's actually Apache that is going down. In the past 1 and 1 has blamed it on the forum and saying that it's too busy. We are only getting 20 to 40 thread/replies per day and are using almost 20.5 GB of transfer. I personally think they are yanking my chain. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by alesisdrummer View Post
    Hey Everyone, I'm new to the forum. Thanks in advance to everyone who has read this and replied! I have a question about PHPBB bogging down a dedicated server with these specs.

1 GB - RAM
    2 x 160 GB - HD
    2,000 GB - bandwidth

Pentium 4, 2.4 GHZ
    1024mb , RAM
    80gb SATA HD
    1,500gb - bandwidth

We are currently hosting with 1 and 1 on a dedicated server package. We are constantly receiving notices from Alertra that our server has gone down, the outages usually last a minute or two but have been happening quite a few times per day. It's actually Apache that is going down. In the past 1 and 1 has blamed it on the forum and saying that it's too busy. We are only getting 20 to 40 thread/replies per day and are using almost 20.5 GB of transfer. I personally think they are yanking my chain. Any thoughts? Thanks again!
    It shouldn't be bogging it down that much. Are you sure anything else isn't bogging down the server? I know forums that get that many replied and are fine on a server like that. Is the database optimized?
    Brett Meadors

Yah, since PHPBB is such a widely used forum and i've seen much busier forums running on smaller shared hosting packages it seems like it should run fine. I'm not really sure if the database is optimized, it's a managed server so they are doing everything. Is there a way to optimize the DB using phpmyadmin? We don't even have access to the actual server. Thanks for the reply!

I would move to a server where you have access, and then have someone come in and optimize the database just to make sure everything checks out.
    Brett Meadors

yah that sounds like a good suggestion. it's definitely worth considering. thanks!

Of course. I don't know what your budget is, but Steve from Rack911 comes highly recommended in concerns to Forum Hosting/Optimization and you may want to have him/his team do a once over.
    Brett Meadors

For what it's worth I would consider using SMF or Vbulletin in place of PhpBB. Both have been more stable and secure imho.

I'd second using SMF (I'm using this on sites that get almost as much, if not more, traffic than WHT gets).

Also, please note that you would be doing a downgrade, CPU-wise, if you go with a P IV 2.4 box. This is a big downgrade, as well.

I would recommend that you look for a system that utilizes RAPTORs instead of your traditional SATA drives. Also, if you haven't done so, move your entire /var partition to a second drive.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Hey everyone, thanks for the thoughts and ideas! Much appreciated. It would actually be difficult to switch from PHPBB now because we've been using it for so long and have quite a large database of users and topics. Does anyone think that the server we are looking into wouldn't be able to handle the load of our forum based on the traffic that we are using on our current server?

If this ~20GB traffic are used in one month, you could even pick a shared hosting or a vps.
    If this ~20GB is your daily traffic, I think you'll need a server with at least 2 GB Ram.

alesisdrummer, just an FYI... SMF does have a conversion utility where you won't lose your posts or membership. I've converted a few forums in my time (my last one was a very out of date vBulletin), and everything converted over extremely nicely. Sorry for chiming in late, however, I wanted to make sure you were aware that a good converter does exist.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

What version do you use PHPBB2 or 3?
    --- No signature for now ---

Last year we experienced something similar (if you are using 20gbs a day) we were using an outdated PNphpBB forum (pretty much phpbb) I think it had to do with the cache or something, but it would be draining about the same (20) gbs per day an growing each day...
    Then we moved to vBulletin and the consumption halved (10gbs/day), the speed increased, and now that we have 5x as many people visiting draws almost 20gbs a day.

vBulletin (I don't know much about other forum scripts) but they do have a conversion script which keeps users, posts, usergroups, forums structure etc ^^

In addition to that, I fail to see the advantages of the new system over the old one, it has less of everything :O

Good luck mate

I suggest switching to SMF, but if that's not a viable option, I understand. Like someone else suggested, it appears you need a bit of optimization done. To phpBB, Apache and MySQL.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Quote Originally Posted by alesisdrummer View Post

1 GB - RAM
    2 x 160 GB - HD
    2,000 GB - bandwidth

Pentium 4, 2.4 GHZ
    1024mb , RAM
    80gb SATA HD
    1,500gb - bandwidth
    Just as a reply to this. Don't look at the speed in GHz. The AMD is faster than that pentium 4

It doesn't seem like they even need a dedicated server with such a low load. Have you considered a managed VPS?