Routing on Dedicated Server

All, I have a server with LiquidWeb and from time to time the server becomes unavailable. Then on refresh it is back up. The server is based in the US and a lot of users are UK based.

Are there issues with dedicated servers and routing? Am unable to traceroute as the downtime is a fraction of a second as when I refresh it comes back. This happens very rarely but as we are a forum based community people are clicking many times a second.

This is unlikely to be a routing issue.

To diagnose this you should constantly ping the server (ping -t IP in windows). If the server stops pinging when the site is unavailable then this will probably be network related, if not it will probably be software.

Assuming you have root access, check the logs at the time of problems. Its possible that http or other service is simply restarting.

Kind Regards,
    Peter Verrill
    Real Hosts Limited
    Real-Hosts.co.uk - Excellent UK network for (un)managed Dedicated Servers, Cloud Servers, Colocation and Rack Space

thanks Peter. I did the below in DOS over a few minutes and came back with 5 time outs like the below:

Reply from 72.52.240.37: bytes=32 time=104ms TTL=50
    Reply from 72.52.240.37: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=50
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 72.52.240.37: bytes=32 time=106ms TTL=50
    Reply from 72.52.240.37: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=50

Is this a serious network issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_B View Post
    All, I have a server with LiquidWeb and from time to time the server becomes unavailable. Then on refresh it is back up. The server is based in the US and a lot of users are UK based.

Are there issues with dedicated servers and routing? Am unable to traceroute as the downtime is a fraction of a second as when I refresh it comes back. This happens very rarely but as we are a forum based community people are clicking many times a second.
    Phil,
    We would be happy to look into this for you and get to the root of the issue, just open up a ticket or you can email me directly and I'll follow up. Thanks
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand