Question Reseller Newbie... need some advice!

Hello all, a couple of questions:

1. I just started reselling using HostGator, and I noticed that they don't provide support to reseller clients. If I have a client that needs support... how can I get help with that problem... for example, what if their site goes down or they have trouble with their domain email? I don't have too much tech knowledge with web hosting...

2. Does anyone know where I might be able to find some sample "terms of service" or articles about how to write a "terms of service"? Any help/info with that would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kw2102 View Post
    Hello all, a couple of questions:

1. I just started reselling using HostGator, and I noticed that they don't provide support to reseller clients. If I have a client that needs support... how can I get help with that problem... for example, what if their site goes down or they have trouble with their domain email? I don't have too much tech knowledge with web hosting...
    You can do this in 3 ways.

1. Provide support yourself. Get the answers by contacting HG, and then relay it back to your customers. Disadvantage of this is that it includes a middleman (you) and the response time will be determined by how fast HG respond to you, and when you're available to respond to your client.

2. Hire an outsourcing company. They can provide support, however the downside is that since you are a reseller, the staff can only provide limited support and major changes requires them to contact HG. It basically puts you back into the same spot as 1. Not to mention the high overhead involved.

3. Use a reseller hosting company which offers end user support. They will provide support directly to your customers without (usually) any extra cost. Since they have direct access to the server, they can fix issues much faster and do not depend on you to respond to your client.

2. Does anyone know where I might be able to find some sample "terms of service" or articles about how to write a "terms of service"? Any help/info with that would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I would recommend checking out the TOS of HG and adapting yours as you and your customers will need to abide by the conditions of HG..

You can also check out hostlegal.com as well.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

kw2002,

I would suggest maybe looking for a new hosting provider that provides end-user support such as http://innohosting.com/ . It would be more cost effective to do something such as that instead of hiring an outsource company such as bobcares.com

I will suggest the first method that Rameen says. That way, you determine the quality of the support your customer received.

HG has some pretty decent and fast support based on the review here. So, I guess you wont face so many unexpected problems.
    NoFrillsLogo.com - Never pay more for your logo!

Professional Design & Low Prices. We Design Until You are Satisfied Guaranteed!
    Click Here To Boost Your Company Profit With a Real Logo

I think that you have to find the way of providing support yourself along suggested methods. You will became more skilled and that is everytime good for you as future web hosting provider.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

You don't need too much knowledge if you are using a reseller hosting. But you must know basic subjects about hosting. The server issues fix by your hosting provider.

You can use TOS of Hostgator by editing as your company.
    DomainCart - Domain and Hosting Shopping Cart with Integrated Bootstrap Hosting Template.
    www.domaincart.net - Demo

You need a company which provides white label end user support to your clients ... try resellerzoom advance plan or failover plan

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your advice.

You don't need to know how to fix a server issue, Hostgator should take care of that.
    HighLayer - Canadian Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Latest cPanel/WHM - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support
    Visit www.highlayer.com or Call 1-888-84-LAYER

Quote Originally Posted by dhcart View Post
    You don't need too much knowledge if you are using a reseller hosting. But you must know basic subjects about hosting. The server issues fix by your hosting provider.

You can use TOS of Hostgator by editing as your company.
    Sorry, but I must disagree. I've seen this sentiment expressed all over these boards and I don't think it's very wise. If you plan to run a web hosting company with continued long term growth and success, you must acquire the technical knowledge necessary to troubleshoot basic web hosting issues. Even though you are operating your business out of a reseller account, your customers will still come to you with questions about setting up their websites, how to utilize MySQL databases, how to setup IMAP e-mail, etc. In order to answer those questions effectively and ensure customer satisifaction, you will need a solid level of technical expertise.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw Networks View Post
    Sorry, but I must disagree. I've seen this sentiment expressed all over these boards and I don't think it's very wise. If you plan to run a web hosting company with continued long term growth and success, you must acquire the technical knowledge necessary to troubleshoot basic web hosting issues. Even though you are operating your business out of a reseller account, your customers will still come to you with questions about setting up their websites, how to utilize MySQL databases, how to setup IMAP e-mail, etc. In order to answer those questions effectively and ensure customer satisifaction, you will need a solid level of technical expertise.
    i second that as soon you will have lots of people selling hosting and they dont even know how to setup a account let alone change the dns. i have had to learn first and know understand what is going on.

i would say go and study a bit first, buy a small reseller, play around until you understand how cpanel/WHM work and then start selling hosting. Just now we will see companies selling "out the box hosting companies"
    Want a eBook Cover Action Scripts CLICK HERE