Question Choosing best Web Host Small Business Canada

I finally decided to do it. I have registered my domain name and chose .ca and .com, now I need to choose a host. My business is pretty basic - selling and shipping items to customers. I need space for pictures of the items, a check-out etc...

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it - I don't know what to look for.

-do I need to choose a host based in my country?
    -anyone have any names of good hosts for small business
    -what are the main things I should look for in a host

Thank you

Firstly whats your budget?

Secondly a few things to consider when choosing a host maybe , where is the majority of your customer base located , if its in the UK maybe choose a UK host so your website will load faster for them . Things to look for in a host would be uptime , reliabitly ,support, value for money etc...
    Amd-Communications - Affordable and Powerful Web Hosting Services www.amd-comms.co.uk
    Toll Free: 0800 043 2336 E-mail: sales[at]amd-comms.co.uk Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - VPS Servers - Fresh IT Solutions

have a look on www.1and1.com, they pretty cool....
    I wouldn't recommend sex- drinks- or Mac for everyone but they work for me.
    Programming Help, OS System Help, Articles, Videos, Tutorials, Books-Web Dot Dev http://www.webdotdev.com

Trackerbrown,

You don't necessarily need to purchase locally but I've always been a supporter of the local economy myself. If you intend on staying around where you are for any length of time, buy local!

There's a few decent Canadian providers out there, although the list isn't as large as that of the US (Less competition here, to some degree):

Synhosting.com
    Netfirms.com (Best for non-dynamic sites, yours might be okay if it's small)

There's a number of others out there but given you'll be operating a business: concentrate on finding quality rather than 'quantity'.

do I need to choose a host based in my country?
    Not necessarily, being so close of the USA makes the difference almost imperceptible.
    what are the main things I should look for in a host
    Since you're going to run an Ecommerce site, you should focus in reliability and uptime, forget those packages offering tons of space and bandwidth since you're not going to use it.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by webnetwork View Post
    Oh dear God, stay away from 1and1 !!!

Horrible service!

Oh dear God, stay away from 1and1 !!!

Horrible service!
    Did you try them yourselves? Care to share some details regarding your experience?