Thread: uk or u.s host?

uk or u.s host?

Hi All

I`ve had my website hosted by a UK company for a few years now and i`m outgrowing the shared server i`m on due to high bandwidth on my site (about
    50gb a month)

They`ve offered me a package with increase in bandwidth but for the same price i could get a U.S VPS package. Which seeing as 90% of my hits are from the U.S sort of makes sense. I`m just not sure whether the hassle of moving over my site is worth it. I have the website, forums and other php database setup nicely at the moment.

Just wondering if someone has experience of doing this, is it worth the speed increase to move to vps aswell as having to move all the databases over to a new server. I`ve yet to have any complaints of speed from users from the U.S. so shall I just take the easy option and pay for the UK package.

thanks in advance
    Paul

Hi Paul,

I have the same problem. My own sites dont use more than a few Gb of bandwidth per month however I host a client site that been on the server for years. Due to recent work the bandwidth usage has gone to around 100gb per month (he retails autographs so a lot of pictures displayed).

I find it easier to rent a UK VPS but via Solar VPS which are from America i think. Costs around 20 per month but i get 500gb of bandwidth and around 15gb of storage so works out well.

Steve.

If most of the visitors to your site are in the US then it makes sense to host it as close to them as possible. You loose about 100-150ms off your ping times by cutting out the Atlantic.
    The thing to remember about a VPS is that is probably won't be managed, so unless you're comfortable with Apache HTTPD, MySQL and friends then staying with a shared host might be best for peace of mind (if it breaks, they fix it). Shared hosts in the US are very aggressive with their prices so you should be able to get a better deal than in the UK.

The quick answer to that is to check your site visitors demographics in the stats program. If most of your visitors are from US, a move to US will make sense in every way. If most are in UK, it may simply be better to stay put. End of the day, your visitors get a more optimized route (provided of course you pick your host well)
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Hi
    thanks for the replies.

Yes my stats show that 90% of users are from the U.S. But I have asked a few and none have said they noticed any slowdown accessing my site compared to ones based in the u.s.
    But yes it does make sense to have a u.s based host. Its just also the amount of work it is to move everything over. I`m ok publishing webpages but i`m not very confident in running a hosted server. So i`m not sure whether the vps route is the right one for me.
    perhaps i should checkout some of the u.s shared servers that have a good amount of bandwidth limit.

Paul

Moving between shared hosts isn't really a problem. Whatever control panel you are using can almost certainly spit out a backup file with everything in it that will just be able to be restored at the other end. Doesn't even have to be the same control panel, most can import each other's data.
    Installing something like Plesk in a VPS isn't complicated but it's when things go wrong you need the option of falling back to tech support rather than fixing it yourself if you're not confident running the server. You could always take a look for a managed or semi-managed VPS, you'll obviously pay more for that though,

ok thanks. I`m using cpanel, would the restored site require just the mysql databases recreating then?

Paul

Your current host should have something called phpMyAdmin which will allow you to export your data out of their server. This can then be imported into the new host.

Yes it has the phpmyadmin, so just exporting those and importing to the new host does the job.
    thats good, thanks

Paul

if most of your hits are coming from us, then you should try a us host....
    I wouldn't recommend sex- drinks- or Mac for everyone but they work for me.
    Programming Help, OS System Help, Articles, Videos, Tutorials, Books-Web Dot Dev http://www.webdotdev.com

Well, in this case, I would suggest you to go for a US host. As most of your hits are from US, there is nothing that needs a second thought in this case.
    While looking for a shared host with a good bandwidth plab, you need to keep in mind a couple of things.
    If you have a quick search, you will be able to see hosts offering, a few TB or a few hundred GB or even unlimited BW for a few $$. But this is massive overselling, and better keep away from them.
    Keep in mind that you will get for what you pay and go for a host with a decent pay structure. Its better to avoid massive oversellers, when you get it cheaper you will be compromising on quality and reliability.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Thanks for all the responses.

I`m now considering liquidweb hosting this service

this one.. https://www.liquidweb.com/cart/conte...d/Professional

its the same price as my current uk provider, but with 3 times the bandwidth. Also uses cpanel which i`m using now.

Paul

Consider more than price and package specifications before you move providers. Consider the performance, uptime, reliability and support of your existing provider, and think about whether it's worth rolling the dice and moving your website to another provider.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

I can`t fault my current provider, never been down in 3 1/2 years. support is good and so is the speed. Only problem is bandwidth. I can upgrade but i`ll cost me 20 instead of 10 a month. Or move to a U.S host for 10 a month and know thats where the bulk of my user base is. But yes its a gamble.

If you're running a personal site, then it probably is worth moving.

But if you're running a business that is important to you, for the sake of 10 a month it's probably worth paying the extra and avoiding any problems you might encounter whilst moving. Not to mention you've found a host that you're happy with and is very reliable.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting