Shared vs Reseller vs VPS?

Hello,

As mentioned in another thread on the vps forum, I'm looking to upgrade my site. Currently, I'm using Dreamhost which is crapping out my primary site with the following:

Joomla Install
    Approximately 2000 registered users
    Forum with rarely more than 30 people online.
    Mailing list sent once weekly to around 1,000 members, (this is a big problem, as Dreamhost caps the emails sent per hour to 200, and when I send it spread out over long periods of time, I regularly get errors).
    Around 1 gb of web space used
    Around 20 gb of bandwidth per month.

I'd imagine that just about all of these figures would double/triple in the next year if everything on my site was working properly, so my question is: what do I really need to support such a site, and who can I trust to keep it going? Also, connectivity with China is a big deal, as my site is based in China, and so if the host isn't in Hong Kong, the ability to get a dedicated ip is pretty important.

I've been looking at VPS solutions, which are maybe a little out of my budget, (around $30-40 a month max), and am a little intimidated by the amount of extra work it seems like it might require to keep them going. On the other hand, Dreamhost has kind of scared me off of shared hosting, but maybe that's just because they aren't up to snuff. I've also seen reseller hosting talked about quite a bit, and I'm curious as to what sort of improvements/tradeoffs it has for someone interested in using it for just a single site, compared to shared/VPS solutions. Any help people could provide would be appreciated.

(P.S., By the way, the site is http://www.TianjinExpats.com, so you can get an idea of what it is like, and what a site like this might require.)

Quote Originally Posted by NateM View Post
    Hello,

As mentioned in another thread on the vps forum, I'm looking to upgrade my site. Currently, I'm using Dreamhost which is crapping out my primary site with the following:
    What is your real issue with dreamhost? they supposed to have the best clustered setup.

I've had numerous timeout issues for the past year or so. Also, as I mentioned here, the email list is a big pain in the butt.

Hello NateM!
    As rule VPS sollutions allow people to send out a lot of emails. But the other problem is: What are they about?
    Be sure that no one provider will allow you to send out bulk and spammy emails.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

I strongly suggest going with a non-shared service, simply because as you grow you WILL become an resource hog on a shared environment (reseller too). You'll also have a lot more flexibility when it comes to configurations, such as your mailout requirement!

Weigh your options and make the pick. If I had the budget and was in your shoes, I'd be at the VPS level with the possibility of upgrading to a dedicated when it came time.
    Kaumil P.

The emails are not spam. The email list is double opt-in, and is an events list of parties and things like that happening around the city I live in.

Quote Originally Posted by VP-Kaumil View Post
    I strongly suggest going with a non-shared service, simply because as you grow you WILL become an resource hog on a shared environment (reseller too). You'll also have a lot more flexibility when it comes to configurations, such as your mailout requirement!

Weigh your options and make the pick. If I had the budget and was in your shoes, I'd be at the VPS level with the possibility of upgrading to a dedicated when it came time.

Ditto this , Dedicated servers from good quality hosting companies are becomming more wideley availible now for afforable prices. I think VP-Kaumill is right VPS or dedi , as Shared/Reseller hosting will struggle to support your needs
    Amd-Communications - Affordable and Powerful Web Hosting Services www.amd-comms.co.uk
    Toll Free: 0800 043 2336 E-mail: sales[at]amd-comms.co.uk Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - VPS Servers - Fresh IT Solutions

I strongly suggest you to change the host, have a look on www.1and1.com, maybe is what you need in the end....
    I wouldn't recommend sex- drinks- or Mac for everyone but they work for me.
    Programming Help, OS System Help, Articles, Videos, Tutorials, Books-Web Dot Dev http://www.webdotdev.com

Quote Originally Posted by webnetwork View Post
    I strongly suggest you to change the host, have a look on www.1and1.com, maybe is what you need in the end....
    1&1 is a good host? You might want to search these forums for a few reviews for 1&1 first and see what they say.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

I already use 1and1 for domain hosting, but had heard mixed things about them as a host. What is really needed to run a VPS with a php site? Most people seemed to indicate that you really needed about 512 mb of ram to keep everything running, and if that's the case, 1and1 would be a bit out of my price range, (after the 1st 3 months).

Most people seemed to indicate that you really needed about 512 mb of ram to keep everything running, and if that's the case, 1and1 would be a bit out of my price range, (after the 1st 3 months).
    This would be the case if you are interested in using cPanel. Certain configs can use 384 megabytes, but you would need to have it optimised efficiently.

I would say go for the VPS - simply monetize the forum to (hopefully) back the costs of the VPS and you won't need to worry anymore. Just make sure to get a fully managed VPS from a reputable provider (KnownHost, ZONE, etc)

Best of luck to you!
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

Quote Originally Posted by RavenServers View Post
    This would be the case if you are interested in using cPanel. Certain configs can use 384 megabytes, but you would need to have it optimised efficiently.
    Well, that takes away just about all but the most expensive options at the two companies you mentioned. Are these 128 mb and 256 mb vps's useful for anything, then, and if so, what?

Well, that takes away just about all but the most expensive options at the two companies you mentioned. Are these 128 mb and 256 mb vps's useful for anything, then, and if so, what?
    That is correct - however people who use the < 384 megabyte memory VPS systems don't need a control panel or use DirectAdmin. I don't use DirectAdmin, but it is my understanding that it uses half of the memory that cPanel does, therefore only needing (about) 128 megabytes of memory.
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

If you are wanting to move from Dreamhost then you should have no problem finding another reliable host. Your budget is enough to find a good host that will host your site without issues. Good luck!
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting

First time I tried to load your page it took very long time to show up so I understand why you want to move. When I tried Joomla at my dreamhost account (no longer a customer there either) it was at least five to ten times faster compared your Joomla - although you've many more plugins loaded and more users so kinda hard to compare. If you don't want to move to vps maybe a semi-dedicated hosting should be enough for you. You will get plenty more resources compared to dreamhost, but it will cost you (alot compared to dreamhost). With your budget I think you will be able to find a company that will help you with the move since that is usually a p.i.t.a.
    -Mr Bister

Some people had mentioned semi-dedicated in a few other threads: how does that differ from VPS, if at all, and who offers it that is reliable and somewhat affordable?

Would the baseline SolarVPS option be enough to work with Cpanel, or would it be better to go with plesk?

http://www.solarvps.com/products-linux.php

I would recommend going to a vps thats managed, that way your no on a shared enviroment and shared resources. Which can be alot of the problem. It would be a whole lot more simple you can find some good deals now and days. Server a day has good dedicated deals, i will attach the link below.

http://www.serveraday.com/
    BlueWire-Hosting - Well priced, and affordable hosting. With a helping staff and blazing support!
    cPanel/WHM RvSkins Fantastico de Luxe 24/7 Support
    PHP5 With Rewrite for PHP4 SiteBuilder Ruby On Rails Perl mySql
    | Custom Plans Available | Resellers | Shared |