Is it just me or is it really annoying when you see new users sign up just to vent and post a bad review?

I'm all for having to express whatever you like but recently I'm seeing more and more of these threads everyday. Its bad enough that we don't see good reviews, but to see new users sign up just to post a bad review?

May be there needs to be a sub-section just for bad reviews where you have to be a member for x days and have y posts before you can post. Or if you think WHT has too many sections, may be some other suggestion....

Because most of these members cool off in a matter of hours and all that is left behind is a permanent bad image for an overall good provider. And when people search for reviews all they see is a good provider getting caught on a bad day. Sure, the provider can post in the forum defending and everyone might end in good terms, but seriously, most of the time its the first impression that really matters, and when they see "XYZ Host sucks" "ABC host is a con" "PQR is a *whatever*" they are not really getting a fair review, but just the venting of a pissed off client who pays mediocre prices and claims he is losing thousands of dollars every minute. This affects both, the host and WHT community equally.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

I don't think we should limit the ability of people to post negative reviews about their providers, as there are definitely new members with legitimate needs to review their providers. If the title of a thread is "ABC host is a SCAM" or "ABC host is a conjob" then I'll usually edit the thread to say something like "My experience with ABC host". I prefer to let people come to their own conclusions after reading a thread. It does have to be judged on a case-by-case basis, though, which is why we appreciate it when people report such threads.

The ones where they're overly dramatic are irritating, oh and the ones where the op posts something about a large, well-known company being a 'scam' are pretty funny. It'd be nice if everyone would just reply to those threads in a really condescending manner.

Quote Originally Posted by CArmstrong View Post
    I don't think we should limit the ability of people to post negative reviews about their providers, as there are definitely new members with legitimate needs to review their providers. If the title of a thread is "ABC host is a SCAM" or "ABC host is a conjob" then I'll usually edit the thread to say something like "My experience with ABC host". I prefer to let people come to their own conclusions after reading a thread. It does have to be judged on a case-by-case basis, though, which is why we appreciate it when people report such threads.
    Yes, but then why do I hardly ever see a new user post "XYZ is the best"? I understand its not in control of WHT who posts good or bad reviews, but new members signing up just to vent, its hardly a "review".

then may be WHT should have rules on how a "review" is supposed to be written at least, just like there are rules on how auctions are conducted.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    The ones where they're overly dramatic are irritating, oh and the ones where the op posts something about a large, well-known company being a 'scam' are pretty funny. It'd be nice if everyone would just reply to those threads in a really condescending manner.
    Yea, I would like to see that as well but most of them, including competitors, just add fuel to the fire for whatever reason. Its almost as if its a death match between the Host vs. WHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    Yea, I would like to see that as well but most of them, including competitors, just add fuel to the fire for whatever reason. Its almost as if its a death match between the Host vs. WHT.
    There's nothing more depressing on the internet than one idiot supporting another idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    There's nothing more depressing on the internet than one idiot supporting another idiot.
    I'm never supporting you again!
    *shakes fist*

I'll vote for Ron Paul instead.

Hi!
    I think it was predictable. Never before have I seen so many people reselling dedicated servers that shouldn't have been...so it's no surprise at all, really.

I don't think it has peaked yet, either. I think the worst is yet to come.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    but to see new users sign up just to post a bad review?
    Often it is sheer frustration when they can't reach support, so they use the search engines for help. They see the host has a presence here, so join up to get answers. Sadly, at times, because the host doesn't want the community to look down on them, they suddenly become very supportive (till the next time).
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

I wouldn't mind having a minimum post count in order to post a review. But many are also lurkers on this forum that although don't contribute, they do seem to post nothing but negative reviews..

To further elaborate on the OPs proposal, I would suggest a rule to be implemented for the title and formatting of a review. Instead of "OMFG xyz SCAMMED ME!!111" for a review which actually has nothing to do with fraud or scamming, all review titles be limited to "xyz Review"

Those that try to draw attention to the review by using controversial titles are not benefiting anybody, and thus have their own agenda which is to discredit a hosting company. And such the review would be structured in such a way..

I've seen negative reviews about us in which the whole review and posts in that review has been strategically structured to get high exposure on search engines. Fair or not? Tough, that's life I guess.. But I believe with the growing number of companies, and thus growing number of negative reviews, it is becoming increasingly important that the posting of reviews becomes formalised with guidelines on submitting the review..

A disadvantage would be the work required by the moderators. This would further support the argument of having a dedicated forum just for reviews as this would enable easier moderation of reviews, similar to the ads forum. The ads forum has guidelines and rules for posting including both title of the ad and content of the ad too. Same concept can be applied to a review forum..

InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    Often it is sheer frustration when they can't reach support, so they use the search engines for help. They see the host has a presence here, so join up to get answers. Sadly, at times, because the host doesn't want the community to look down on them, they suddenly become very supportive (till the next time).
    I just wanted to quote that for emphasis.

Because, Jan summed it up nicely.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I'm compelled to toss in my two cents here. I do agree about the titles of reviews. "Positive: XYZ Review"... "Negative: ABC Review". That way the drama at least stays out of the title, which tends to do the most damage. It would also promote the actual reading of the post to get the details and see how things panned out. I also agree about the special area just for reviews. I do not feel visitors should have to wait to post their reviews, good or bad. Most are not in it like us. They are customers looking for quick ways to either let someone know they are happy or upset.
    Shawn Bray
    Pinellas Hosting - www.pinellashosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Collocation | Webhosting | Data Backup | Domain Registration

Quote Originally Posted by sbray View Post
    I'm compelled to toss in my two cents here. I do agree about the titles of reviews. "Positive: XYZ Review"... "Negative: ABC Review". That way the drama at least stays out of the title, which tends to do the most damage. It would also promote the actual reading of the post to get the details and see how things panned out. I also agree about the special area just for reviews. I do not feel visitors should have to wait to post their reviews, good or bad. Most are not in it like us. They are customers looking for quick ways to either let someone know they are happy or upset.
    There is no problem in customers of those companies who are upset to express their views. But my point here is that most of those views are not something that built up overtime but rather an impulse to let something out in the open in hopes of it being solved sooner or get some kind of compensation.

In the end, again, its not a review at all, its more of a rant than anything. And no matter what the mods at WHT say (users have to read the entire thread and decide for themselves) I honestly doubt someone will go through the entire thread after reading the title "XYZ is a scam" or "ABC ripped me off" etc...

I think a review can be classified as what happens during the initial setup process. Because if they only person who can process a order goes on vacation and orderes are being delayed because no one else can do it, well the community should know.

If a company has tried to rip them off some how or refused to assist in services they said they would to get you as a customer people should know.

If the setup went off w/o a hitch well people should know.

But all in all, i consider even someone being at a host anytime after they paid money for service a review. But if the hsot isnt proving what is promissed, then people need to know to trend more carefully.

Some changes to the rules might be nice on paper, but I think in reality, judging my the comments made allready, it would be hard to make any changes that would benifit the WHT community.

However I believe anything that can encourage the poster to make simple, factual, statements, with no or very minimal, opinion & emotion should be considered.

Def. we want honest reviews, not rants.

I agree completely, Brian. I think the challenge here is trying to implement a system that would be fair to both the reviewer and the company being reviewed. We all want what is ultimately best for the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    However I believe anything that can encourage the poster to make simple, factual, statements, with no or very minimal, opinion & emotion should be considered.

Def. we want honest reviews, not rants.

Yup, something like Brian mentioned would be a start. Everything doesn't have to be put in place in one day, but slowly implementing such system will definitely help.

Most people will probobly disagree with me on this one, but I personally find it wrong to post a bad review period unless the company caused very serious problems. If there is an unfortunate downtime, or support took "x" amount of time to answer your ticket and your not happy with it, I find it pointless posting about it. Whatever happened with customer - company communication?

Did everyone forget that the customer can express themselves to the employees or manager to find some solution? What good does it do to just flame a company because of an unfortunate circumstance, eventually vps's will go down, eventually hard drives will fail, it's just something that customers need to deal with and expect to a certain degree. If your vps is having problems, since when is WHT an alternative for support queries?

Thats just my opinion.

I definately agree with you James. A problem customer is nothing more than an opportunity. Unfortunately it becomes a lost opportunity when the first thing they do is come here to defame your business.

Unfortunately people are more likely to degrade you than praise you. I have no idea why, that just seems to be the way it goes. That is why i always make a point to read and thank people for posting positive reviews on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by james_s07 View Post
    Most people will probobly disagree with me on this one, but I personally find it wrong to post a bad review period unless the company caused very serious problems. If there is an unfortunate downtime, or support took "x" amount of time to answer your ticket and your not happy with it, I find it pointless posting about it. Whatever happened with customer - company communication?

Did everyone forget that the customer can express themselves to the employees or manager to find some solution? What good does it do to just flame a company because of an unfortunate circumstance, eventually vps's will go down, eventually hard drives will fail, it's just something that customers need to deal with and expect to a certain degree. If your vps is having problems, since when is WHT an alternative for support queries?

Thats just my opinion.
    In an ideal world maybe But some hosts tend to spend more time at WHT than tending to their own business and providing support when needed. I can think of countless times that a client has finally gotten things resolved by posting here.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

Unfortunately it becomes a lost opportunity when the first thing they do is come here to defame your business.
    I would think otherwise. Handling the customer properly after the issue has become public, can actually be quite an opportunity to show that you do care, that you want to and can make things right.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 01-29-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Hmmm
    maybe this is an idea [if it's workable].

The poster must/should confirm, by some means, that they have made more than 1 attempt to resolve any problem with the supplier/provider,
    by either, e-mail, or support, or both [tel. calls should not count as they cannot reasonably be monitored or confirmed].

Is that worth thinking about ?

Personaly I think the opportunity to express dissatisfaction of a provider via WHT is of value, but some idiots will always abuse it, whatever 'rules' are in place, unfortunately it's just the way some people are.

Actually, some competitors do that.

It happened to us also :-)

In the end, it is their lost not ours :-)
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I agree. I am honestly tired of people just signing up just to thrash talk one host and never come back again. They have no reputation whatsoever and they expect for us to believe all this crap their saying about their host. It only goes to show how immature they are and they are attempting to deface a webhost for a reason which could be fixed if the person was patient.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

Never one to mince my words, I too am tired of seeing people signing up to write "Scam"..."Fraud"...."Alert" etc.

Most of the time they are false fronts and it's the posters own fault his site's went offline due to badly coded scripts or his own ISP's trouble or even that he'd edited his domain's dns incorrectly.

My own feeling is that the innocently flamed companies who get brought into it through no fault of their own will see their company's good name getting indexed by Google etc with links to bad and often flaming posts and I think something should be done about it to protect them because not everyone will read the post from beginning to end when searching out a prospective hosting company only to come across a bad review linked to WHT on Google regarding some hosting company, in which the complainer ends up being corrected.

WHT posts can be indexed by Google within a matter of hours and I think it sucks bigtime that any joe bloggs can sign up...make one post full of inconsistencies and factless lies that then causes a 5 page uproar which will appear on Google not much later and it has the potential to lose many innocent hosting companies prospective business. The hosting business is cut throat and bad enough in this day and age without these kind of tactics having the potential to lose a company good business too.

On this occassion I'm happy to go with whatever the staff decide because it's them who constantly have to jump in on top of the crappy posts from irate delinquents who can't edit their dns properly so decide to join up and bash the host.

In fact that's a great idea for a flash game

"Celebrity Host Death Match"

Seriously though...no one will be more peeved off than the staff with regards to the virgin posters who then decide to break themselves in with a load of factless twaddle, therefore I'll go with the staff on this one.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 01-29-2008 at 11:49 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

We have no problems editing thread titles to truly reflect the situation. We seem to do it every day.

That being said, it's only natural for someone to post here when they're having an issue communicating with their host. When they have an issue with their provider, and (for whatever reason) they don't get a satisfactory response (or no response), they can easily land here when they follow a google (or other search engine) while researching their host.

It's not so common to google your host if you're having no issues. So the ratio of positive and negative 'reviews' is a little skewed.

Most of the threads I see here from new (and old) members that attempt to paint a provider in a negative light, are posted because of poor communication. Whether it's poor communication from the host or poor communication from the client, it generally boils down to just that.

If someone joins simply to post a "bad review" it's generally out of frustration. And we've all seen how that person has either been enlightened by the community or had their concerns validated.

I see no reason to place limits on this activity. That's what we're here for!
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

and I think something should be done about it to protect them because not everyone will read the post from beginning to end when searching out a prospective hosting company only to come across a bad review linked to WHT on Google regarding some hosting company, in which the complainer ends up being corrected.
    That is, I think, the researcher's fault. We need to keep in mind that negative posters will often share their story on multiple sites. At least here the host is always welcome to share the other side of the story.

Perhaps we should have a "bad customers" forum, where hosts criticize their clients. (just joking of course) That might keep the balance leveled. In fact, I'm pretty sure the hosts would have far more stories to share than customers have.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    That is, I think, the researcher's fault. We need to keep in mind that negative posters will often share their story on multiple sites. At least here the host is always welcome to share the other side of the story.

Perhaps we should have a "bad customers" forum, where hosts criticize their clients. (just joking of course) That might keep the balance leveled. In fact, I'm pretty sure the hosts would have far more stories to share than customers have.
    That would need 99% of the internet - -
    Business would be so much easier without customers.