* FDC being unprofessional

In August I got a server with FDC for $199 a month, with reasonable spec. Prepaid 3 months.

Today (22nd) is the renewal date, so I asked to cancel the server.

I get a reply asking me when I last paid, so I told them when I first brought it.

Marc S then says I owe them 2 months worth of service, which is to be paid by friday.

For 2 months they did not create an invoice, and the renewal date was set 5 months forward.

They are saying this is my fault, and have even rudely closed my tickets.

Their support is taking a wrong turn recently.

I have till friday to get $398 That is ALOT of money to just get.

They are saying I knew when the server money was due, when the account clearly said today! Also, there were no reminders sent to me etc. I didn't even use the account in December, there was almost a months downtime where the server was just off.

I just can't believe FDC. Last time I recommend them.

Well you will get some followers and some anti-followers here...

You knew you were getting it for "free" so far. It sucks that they didn't invoice you, but there have been more topics like this and 50% agrees with the TS 50% with the company.

I thought that at first you just needed someone to assume your server, but after a re-read realized that you had two months of service free.

You did get 2 months free (or should I say uninvoiced) but given how slack their accounts dept have been at invoicing you should get some discount. Unless they have sent repeated reminders asking you to pay then in that case the charges are fully justified.
    ...loading

If it is true that they haven't invoiced you properly that is their fault, not yours. If you are given a due date/invoice date of today, then that is when I would next expect to be due/invoiced. This has happened to us several times, and it is our error, so we eat the cost. To me, it just isn't right to go back into the past and dig up additional amounts owed if they weren't initially invoiced.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

It is smart to always keep up with things, because a host doesn't always remind you when the time comes to pay up. It would also be smart to read the provider's Terms of Service, as that plays a very important role in due dates and other things of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgecooldude View Post
    You did get 2 months free (or should I say uninvoiced) but given how slack their accounts dept have been at invoicing you should get some discount. Unless they have sent repeated reminders asking you to pay then in that case the charges are fully justified.
    None!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    It is smart to always keep up with things, because a host doesn't always remind you when the time comes to pay up. It would also be smart to read the provider's Terms of Service, as that plays a very important role in due dates and other things of that nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    If it is true that they haven't invoiced you properly that is their fault, not yours. If you are given a due date/invoice date of today, then that is when I would next expect to be due/invoiced. This has happened to us several times, and it is our error, so we eat the cost. To me, it just isn't right to go back into the past and dig up additional amounts owed if they weren't initially invoiced.
    I agree, it's not on! What can we do though? $400 is alot of money.

personally i wouldn pay it if their accounts dept have screwed up and not invoiced you for those months then they are liable not you

most hosts close tickets to keep their helpdesk tidy, often times, your response to the ticket will automatically reopen, and push it to the top of the queue.

The company i work for had this problem, so we made a "pending" category, which we put all tickets on after we respond to them. That way, the user doesn't see "closed" and get all upset.

I bought a VPS off them yesterday, and I think it will get suspended if I don't pay Anything I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohan View Post
    I bought a VPS off them yesterday, and I think it will get suspended if I don't pay Anything I can do.
    Your joke is unoriginal, but I agree with it's meaning. The consumer is responsible to make payment for a good/service even if they do not receive an invoice. Let's say your mortgage company has an error which causes you to not receive an invoice. Do you think they will not purse collecting the money? I think not. Karl at Steadfast is a rare exception.

I seriously doubt you forgot to pay for two months of service. You had the server, you knew you weren't being billed, you probably thought they had forgotten about it.

From their TOS:

"FDC may charge Subscriber a one-time, pre-agreed set-up fee before FDC establishes any service for Subscriber. Subscriber shall thereafter pay, on each monthly anniversary date thereafter, an ongoing service charge in advance for FDC’s continued provision of the service that FDC provides to Subscriber."

"FDC does not send out invoices automatically."

Really, you owe the money, you know you owe the money, and it basically sounds like you're just trying to get out of it. Even if you don't use a server, you owe the money. Even if "there was almost a months downtime where the server was just off", you could have contacted support and had the server brought back online. You still owe the money.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonaward View Post
    I seriously doubt you forgot to pay for two months of service. You had the server, you knew you weren't being billed, you probably thought they had forgotten about it.

From their TOS:

"FDC may charge Subscriber a one-time, pre-agreed set-up fee before FDC establishes any service for Subscriber. Subscriber shall thereafter pay, on each monthly anniversary date thereafter, an ongoing service charge in advance for FDC’s continued provision of the service that FDC provides to Subscriber."

"FDC does not send out invoices automatically."
    OK, that changed my opinion there. If that is what the TOS says then the customer is liable for the fees. Just one of the many reasons to read through the TOS. It is odd that they don't invoice automatically, it seems it would led to issues such as this... I guess now I simply disagree with the policy, but you agreed to the policy, so the money is owed.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 01-23-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

OK, that changed my opinion there. If that is what the TOS says then the customer is liable for the fees. Just one of the many reasons to read through the TOS. It is odd that they don't invoice automatically, it seems it would led to issues such as this... I guess now I simply disagree with the policy, but you agreed to the policy, so they money is owed.
    Being an FDC customer, yes, they typically do invoice and typically charge automatically the day of the account due date (from my personal experience). Of course, their TOS leaves them open to not invoicing, and making the customer simply "pay on time".

I deal with a lot of suppliers. Sometimes they don't invoice us, sometimes they forget or sometimes it is less than what it should be..

I always have reminders set up for each of our bills and suppliers and keep a record of our payment history.

Regardless if we get the invoice or not, we know we are due for payment, and we pay regardless of getting the invoice or not. I have always said that paying should be the responsibility of the customer. There are times when the invoice may have not reached you by email (was sent to the junk folder or even overlooked).. You should ensure you always pay on time when you are due. If you are not sure, then ask.

Going through two months without paying $200 is certainly something you don't tend to forget that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    I deal with a lot of suppliers. Sometimes they don't invoice us, sometimes they forget or sometimes it is less than what it should be..

I always have reminders set up for each of our bills and suppliers and keep a record of our payment history.

Regardless if we get the invoice or not, we know we are due for payment, and we pay regardless of getting the invoice or not. I have always said that paying should be the responsibility of the customer. There are times when the invoice may have not reached you by email (was sent to the junk folder or even overlooked).. You should ensure you always pay on time when you are due. If you are not sure, then ask.

Going through two months without paying $200 is certainly something you don't tend to forget that easily.
    Fact that the server wasn't being used, and it was around Christmas. It was down for a good month, and they didn't even bother to check it etc.

They suspend me, then I can't do nothing. I can't afford to pay it.

Fact that the server wasn't being used, and it was around Christmas. It was down for a good month, and they didn't even bother to check it etc.

They suspend me, then I can't do nothing. I can't afford to pay it.
    You have an UNMANAGED server --- it's not their responsibility to check to make sure the server is online, it's your responsibility. If it's not online, then contact support and they will bring the server online.

And even if you aren't using the server, you still have one allocated to you that you COULD be using --- so you still owe the fees.

The only one being unprofessional here is you --- by not paying bills you owe.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonaward View Post
    You have an UNMANAGED server --- it's not their responsibility to check to make sure the server is online, it's your responsibility. If it's not online, then contact support and they will bring the server online.

And even if you aren't using the server, you still have one allocated to you that you COULD be using --- so you still owe the fees.

The only one being unprofessional here is you --- by not paying bills you owe.
    Systems such as ubersmiths do not change renewal dates on their own.

They always make invoices, automatically.

The fault is on their end.

Systems such as ubersmiths do not change renewal dates on their own.

They always make invoices, automatically.

The fault is on their end.
    Did you read the TOS? Just because they entered it incorrectly into Ubersmith, you are STILL responsible for paying the bill.

The TOS CLEARLY states that he owe's money regardless if they sent him an invoice or not. I don't understand why some of you are trying to still say it's FDC's fault and that this person doesn't owe them any money. This customer agreed to their TOS agreement when purchasing the server, and thus is in debt to them. FDC can report him to creditors and make any other steps necessary if they wish to and this customer can't do anything about it but pay for it. It doesn't matter if the server was offline for the full 3-5 months you had it, that's your fault for not telling them. Like someone said earlier, it's an unmanaged server and it's up to you to manage the server and keep track of the status of that server. I'm sorry that you negligence caused this to happen to you, but you can do nothing but learn from it.
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting

I agree this may be unprofessional on the part of FDC, but they still provided the service. If it was offline, they still could have stuck another paying customer in that spot, that you were taking up.

I agree totally , this is how we would handle as well. Just noticed the TOS part maybe FDC should update the policy.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Like most everyone else, I side with FDC on this one. While yeah, they should send you an invoice to you, you agreed to their TOC which states that you they do not have to send invoices out, and you are responsible for paying for the service.

Now how someone can forget to pay for a server which costs around $200/month makes me wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity View Post
    I agree totally , this is how we would handle as well. Just noticed the TOS part maybe FDC should update the policy.
    Considering a good move to you guys

The above is a true, ethical way to operate a business.

With todays software capabilities, and the fact that most invoices for internet services are via email, there is _no_ excuse to invoice on time. Billing errors happen, but lack of billing entirely is inexcusable.

I think FDC should address the shortcomings in their billing department immediately. Being invoiced in a timely fashion is one thing I _expect_ as a client. I would *never* accept an invoice 60 days late, and *they* would never accept someone making a payment 60 days late.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-AEC View Post
    The above is a true, ethical way to operate a business.

With todays software capabilities, and the fact that most invoices for internet services are via email, there is _no_ excuse to invoice on time. Billing errors happen, but lack of billing entirely is inexcusable.

I think FDC should address the shortcomings in their billing department immediately. Being invoiced in a timely fashion is one thing I _expect_ as a client. I would *never* accept an invoice 60 days late, and *they* would never accept someone making a payment 60 days late.
    Strong points.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurpreet K
    Your server has been disconnected for non-payment. Please check your CRM account
    for the balance due, and arrange payment asap.

If you need to speak with someone regarding your payment, please open a ticket
    with the billing department.

Once a balance has been paid, you can reopen a ticket with support to have your
    server reconnected if it has not been already.

Thank you,

--
    -FDCServers
    That's just great hey.

This is not my server, but for my VPS which I paid in full for.

If you understood that it was time to pay up but noticed no invoice was given, what else were you waiting for? you could have contacted their billing to get it straightened out. I can see where FDC is at fault with not providing the invoice but the fact you knew you were getting free service at the expense of a miscommunication shows how irresponsible you are.

As I understand it, you never requested cancellation which means you are fully responsible for all costs that you let build up in two months. Even when you claim the server was down during december and that you didn't use it....it's still your server.

You prepaid for 90 days worth of services in Aug. The 22nd Iam assuming and yourecieved a email stating that next payment/renewal is due January 22nd.

In my eyes this would have sent up a red flag right away unless you can not do simple math and figure out that that is 5 month's . Waiting to contact them along with there TOS put's you on the hook.

I would have contacted them the day I recieved the email stating renewal was 2 month's after my payment term. I would want to know if I was getting some sort of 60 day credit based on a unknown to me promotion or they were in error, which they were. Sometimes I even have to remind my providers to invoice me. I won't pay anything without a invoice but I always know when it is due.

Edit..

I know that FDC used to have a prepay promotion, prepay 90 days get 60 free.
    Last edited by Patrick67; 01-26-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!