Volumedrive good for one game server?

Hello all, I've seen way more reviews on Volumedrive now, and I want to know; would you host a steam gameserver on their network? Such as CS, HL2, and such.

it's also going to be used for hosting a site

or i should have said, "how is burst.net's network for hosting games?"

I did, I was satisfied, so were my players from US/CA/EU/Asia

Quote Originally Posted by vipeax View Post
    I did, I was satisfied, so were my players from US/CA/EU/Asia
    I'm sorry to say that but this must be some BS... How it's possible that US server was good for EU & Asia players? We are talking about ~150-200ms ping in-game if not more. There is no way that this would be acceptable in games such as CS.
    ...comming soon?

Check the outage forum for Burst. It's not even a good idea to have a server in their datacenter.

<< Check the outage forum for Burst. It's not even a good idea to have a server in their datacenter. >>

I think the clients hosting thousands of servers in our facility would differ on your "opinion".
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

If you have CS Source, you can try out the pings on my server that's hosted at Volumedrive. I get 80-90 ping from the West Coast.

http://www.game-monitor.com/GameServ..._100_tick.html
    Otto Yiu
    Rsync Palace ● Providing offsite backups since 2007.
    Backomatic ● Hassle-free Automated cPanel/WHM, DirectAdmin, FTP, and MySQL backups.

Quote Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
    I'm sorry to say that but this must be some BS... How it's possible that US server was good for EU & Asia players? We are talking about ~150-200ms ping in-game if not more. There is no way that this would be acceptable in games such as CS.
    Funny, there is a difference between lag (the route from the server to the player) and lag as in WTF! ME NO PLAY WAAAAAAH!.

If you wan't a server where people can play all arround the world, they are great yes. If you don't believe it:
    -A: Forget about it
    -B: Try them out

There won't be many if any on these forums who host more gameservers than I do in a private way (not as a gameserver selling company)

Quote Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
    Check the outage forum for Burst. It's not even a good idea to have a server in their datacenter.
    AFAIK, VolumeDrive also colocates at some NY DC.

Funny, there is a difference between lag (the route from the server to the player) and lag as in WTF! ME NO PLAY WAAAAAAH!.
    Yes, but there is also threshold when all lags become the latter. For a lot people that I know that threshold is around 60-80ms in game. There is a reason why there are networks such as GameRails
    Granted, some people might don't care about 150-200ms lags. But I'd say its minority of all players.

If you wan't a server where people can play all arround the world, they are great yes. If you don't believe it:
    -A: Forget about it
    -B: Try them out
    Yes, US is the best place for all-around-the-world connectivty but I still would say that it's quite impossible to achieve playable FPP game for people from around the globe. Other kinds of game - sure, but not FPP
    ...comming soon?

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    << Check the outage forum for Burst. It's not even a good idea to have a server in their datacenter. >>

I think the clients hosting thousands of servers in our facility would differ on your "opinion".
    More and more clients hosting servers in your facility are complaining about high pings and packet loss, though.

ping: burst.net

location result min. rrt avg. rrt max. rrt
    Santa Clara, U.S.A. Packets lost (20%) 89.5 100.0 127.7
    New York, U.S.A. Okay 20.9 26.0 32.4
    Austin2, U.S.A. Okay 57.6 62.1 67.9
    Florida, U.S.A. Packets lost (20%) 76.5 81.1 87.9
    Austin, U.S.A. Okay 60.5 65.5 72.7
    Vancouver, Canada Packets lost (20%) 96.5 102.4 117.0
    San Francisco, U.S.A. Okay 85.5 90.5 97.0
    Amsterdam3, Netherlands Okay 86.8 91.8 98.7
    Amsterdam2, Netherlands Okay 92.2 98.1 105.8
    Stockholm, Sweden Okay 122.4 128.9 140.4
    Hong Kong, China Okay 259.8 277.1 291.3
    Kraków, Poland Okay 121.8 124.6 128.3
    London, United Kingdom Okay 82.8 92.4 105.4
    Paris, France Okay 89.4 93.5 99.7
    Cologne, Germany Okay 103.9 108.7 114.6
    Cagliari, Italy Okay 135.7 136.4 137.2
    Lille, France Okay 102.1 102.6 103.9
    Sydney, Australia Packets lost (10%) 241.2 245.4 265.8
    Copenhagen, Denmark Okay 101.7 111.6 122.7
    Madrid, Spain Packets lost (20%) 119.9 125.8 148.8
    Amsterdam, Netherlands Packets lost (20%) 104.2 114.3 123.6
    Munchen, Germany Packets lost (10%) 118.3 118.9 120.4
    Melbourne, Australia Okay 243.3 252.4 264.2
    Singapore, Singapore Packets lost (10%) 301.7 312.2 321.8
    Porto Alegre, Brazil Packets lost (10%) 199.4 265.2 331.0
    Shanghai, China Okay 525.5 531.6 538.7
    Can we expect a resolution any time soon ?
    Marie - Co-Owner
    Need Further Assistance ? Here you go !
    English, french and spanish support

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post

They put up with the network issues because of your cheap prices and the work it would take to move to another provider. The outage forum backs up my "opinion" which you can deny all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Yapluka View Post
    More and more clients hosting servers in your facility are complaining about high pings and packet loss, though.

Can we expect a resolution any time soon ?
    I was a Burst customer around 5 years ago. They had the same issue with high pings and packet loss back then. Don't hold your breath on it getting resolved anytime soon.

Burstnet is absolutely terrible, speaking from experience. Poor network for gaming, they back haul everything and their network backbone selections arent exactly ideal for gaming period.

Not to mention, they have more outages than anyone here on WHT over the years.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...archid=4076758

Or just search titles for the word Burst on the outages forum, there's usually something going on with their network every month or so.
    Last edited by viGeek; 01-25-2008 at 03:32 PM.