Internal server error

How can I fix an internal server error?

Check the server logs to see what the actual error is.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    Check the server logs to see what the actual error is.
    If it is the error log in my cpanel I found it and it is showing a lot of file not found messages. It was fine yesterday so I don't know its my site or the server.
    Last edited by Dori1975; 01-22-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Update info

Best way to make sure it's the proper log is to check your site and then check your logs. Look at the timestamp to make sure that your access that caused the error relates to the timestamp on the log (so you're not looking at errors from 24 hours ago and think they're the ones happening now).

If the errors you are getting are that you are missing files then you should check to make sure that the files are actually there for starters.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    Best way to make sure it's the proper log is to check your site and then check your logs. Look at the timestamp to make sure that your access that caused the error relates to the timestamp on the log (so you're not looking at errors from 24 hours ago and think they're the ones happening now).

If the errors you are getting are that you are missing files then you should check to make sure that the files are actually there for starters.
    The errors are current, so there are missing files. The site was working last night and I don't know how these files could be missing. If I install the site again will it correct the internal server error?

What kind of file not found messages are you having? The reason I'm asking is that I have noticed people confuse some off-topic "File does not exist" errors (i.e favicon.ico or broken images) to be related with Internal errors in pages

What kind of pages are you trying to access on your server and they show you Internal error? Are they using any server-side installed languages like PHP or Perl? Do similar pages of the same language work? If not, then you might want to focus in some server misconfiguration issue, than missing file.
    SharkTECH Internet Services
    http://www.sharktech.net
    DDOS Firewalled Dedicated Servers
    Managed Services / IRC Allowed

do you have mod_security on server?

If your application is running on a windows hosting server and you get 500 internal server error, turn off "Show friendly HTTP errors" from advanced tab in IE's properties to see exact error message.
    Muhammad Waseem
    Inspedium Corporation (Pvt) Ltd.
    InsPanel - Hosting Control Panel for Windows 2000/2003