Hybrid View

* Suggest good book titles for php/mysql stuff for my new job

Hello,
    Well i start on monday on my new job as website admin for the university while finishing my degree alongside.

So, my question is can someone suggest be good books to start learning php coding hardcore and mysql stuff also ? As i will be responsible in future for migrating another cms into the existing or vice versa.

I can always run downstairs and get the book from library if available so suggest me some nice titles.

Thanks
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Hello,

Are you looking for completely beginner books or more advanced books in PHP / MySQL? You might try the All-in-One books from Sams or a similar range from another publisher if you are looking for completely beginner books; or more like Advanced PHP Programming or PHP 5 Power Programming for some more in-depth topics.

Best Regards,

Just a starting up thing for php, like how to echo stuff, compile bunch of pages into 1 make tiny scripts etc etc.

Cheers
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

If it's that sort of thing then check if your library (or where ever) has anything like the Sams All-in-One books for PHP, MySQL and Apache (or just PHP). They are useful for beginners to learn the basics of PHP with some examples. There are many other books available and people will most likely recommend different ones; each book usually takes a different approach to learning a topic and you have to find one that you feel comfortable with.

Best Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Light View Post
    If it's that sort of thing then check if your library (or where ever) has anything like the Sams All-in-One books for PHP, MySQL and Apache (or just PHP). They are useful for beginners to learn the basics of PHP with some examples. There are many other books available and people will most likely recommend different ones; each book usually takes a different approach to learning a topic and you have to find one that you feel comfortable with.

Best Regards,
    Damn its available in online version only, and its kinda hard learning on the puter , might see if ebay has it.

Is that a really good book ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Light View Post

Best Regards,
    Thankyou, I too was looking around for some good book to start with basics. Sams All in one is just the right thing for beginners like me.

I wouldn't recommend a book for PHP; if you know how to program, php.net should be all you need For more advanced security tecniques and so on, I would recommend the "Voices that matter" and "O'Reily" series of books for PHP.
    » Kayako customer service software and live chat software- your customers deserve better than helpdesk

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Edwards View Post
    I wouldn't recommend a book for PHP; if you know how to program, php.net should be all you need For more advanced security tecniques and so on, I would recommend the "Voices that matter" and "O'Reily" series of books for PHP.
    I could not agree more... php.net would be enought!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Edwards
    "O'Reily" series of books for PHP.
    O'Reily books are quite good, though I don't know if I have any for PHP - their books on other subjects are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny
    Damn its available in online version only
    Really? I recommended that book to someone who was a real beginner at programming and at PHP; and they managed to buy it from somewhere in a softback version. I'm suprised it's not printed anymore. If it's a free online version you could always print it out.

The book covers very basic topics and skills; including introducing PHP to you. It's designed for non-programmers; for people with existing knowledges of languages it be would be wise to choose a more advanced book.

Topics include: Installing & Configuring MySQL, Apache and PHP (old versions in the copy I have somewhere) on Windows, introduction to PHP, working with functions, arrays and objects, working with strings, dates etc, forms, sessions, files, directories, the server environment, images, and connecting to databases; as well as practical examples such as really simple address books, forum (VERY simple), calender and stuff like that.

As I said if you are familiar with other languages go for a more advanced book - or as Jamie said go with the PHP.net manual - though that doesn't really give full examples which some people need to learn such concepts. Once you know PHP and how it works PHP.net will be all you need; though I always think books are a great place to learn stuff.

One thing I do have against the SAMS book(s) is that they don't cover too much practical security issues, tips and how to tackle such issues.

Best Regards,

I think look at some deitel and deitel book web programing or something like that it is very good!

Darklight there is 3rd edition also for the book you mentioned will see if i should just buy its like 30ish bucks for it. Plus it comes with some cd rom thingy

Oreily i will try to find if any.

PHP & MySQL web development has always been a great series of books...